Обсуждение: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

От
Jorge Solórzano
Дата:
​I want to bring a healthy discussion about the current version policy ​of PgJDBC, this is due the fact that the current versioning policy is somewhat misleading.

As many are aware the PostgreSQL Project has decided to switch to a new version numbering policy. The current version number composition is: Major1.Major2.Minor (9.6.1) and the new will be just Major.Minor so the next major version will be just "10" (instead of 10.0). This decision was made because with that first number is that they have no clear criteria when to advance it.

In PgJDBC is even less clear when to advance the versioning. The current version number composition of pgjdbc is (was?) based on some kind of follow up of the PostgreSQL server version, so when a new release of Postgres was made the version number of pgjdbc was increased along with a release number. This was at least until the maven conversion, from the maven conversion only the release number was increased.

Essentialy was like this:
PgJDBC  -> PostgreSQL
9.0-801 (2010-09) -> 9.0 (2010-09)
9.1-901 (2011-04) -> 9.1 (2011-09)
9.2-1000 (2012-09) -> 9.2 (2012-09)
9.3-1100 (2013-11) -> 9.3 (2013-09)
9.4-1200 (2015-01) -> 9.4 (2014-12)
9.4.1207 (2015-12) -> 9.5 (2016-01) * Maven conversion
9.4.1209 (2016-07) -> 9.6 (2016-09) * Full test suite passes against PostgreSQL 9.6
9.4.1210 (2016-09) -> 10? (2017-?)

So it looks there is a common pattern that was broke with maven conversion, but anyway trying to keep version on pair with server is nonsense.

Even in public news the release reflected is just the release number "JDBC 1212 Released".

For many people, this is confusing as they tend to relate the support for a particular version with the version of the driver (https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2d67afa8-03bc-f231-98d9-f80e9ee7b4e5%401energy.at#2d67afa8-03bc-f231-98d9-f80e9ee7b4e5@1energy.at) and the answer is "The latest driver 1211."

So I propose a change in versioning following more close a Semantic Versioning (http://semver.org/) with some changes using only 2 version numbers:

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR, increment the:

  1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes, *or a major feature change is introduced*.
  2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

Since we aim to support very old versions of Postgres up to 8.2, there should be no discussion about using the latest version on an old version of the server. "What version do I use for Postgres 8.3? Use the latest. For Postgres 9.1? Use the latest."

So the big question would be, on which version should we start on? for me the obvious choice is 13.0, let me explain, most versions comes with a release number, for 9.0 is 801 wich can be translated to 8.1, and 9.3 is 1100 -> 11.0, and 9.4 is 1200 -> 12.0...

So the obvious choice is 13.0, why 13.0 and not 12.13 (release 9.4.1213)? there will (probably) be many new features (adaptive fetch size, replication protocol support, remove support for pg<8.2) on this release that should gain a MAJOR version increment, and anyway a change in versioning should require a full version increment on it own. 13.0 should be a good starting point since 13 > 9, so it obviously won't break any parser.

Why not 10.0? the first reason is that we don't want to keep a close relation with the server version, if we use 10.0 people will start to think that is the version for use with Pg10, the second reason is that we "lose" the release versioning increments of previous version, and since we are using that to point users (JDBC 1212 released) it makes more sense that the next news reads "JDBC 13.0 released" and not "JDBC 10.0 released" since users will relate 1212 with 12.12 more easily and 12.12 > 10.0 wich should be wrong.

This is an open discussion, any comments are welcome.

Regards,

Re: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

От
Vladimir Sitnikov
Дата:
Naming things is hard.
pgjdbc 13.0 will probably interfere with PostgreSQL 13.0 in a near future.

Believe me or not, but we did have exactly the same discussion a year ago:

The suggestion was "42" as a major version to avoid clash with database version: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB%3DJe-HraoNEWyNFEUSxGjRpH-gC78jHXvDoxnH%2B0wBe%3Dc1rNg%40mail.gmail.com

Should we make it happen? )

Vladimir

Re: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

От
Vladimir Sitnikov
Дата:
Naming things is hard.
pgjdbc 13.0 will probably interfere with PostgreSQL 13.0 in a near future.

Believe me or not, but we did have exactly the same discussion a year ago:

The suggestion was "42" as a major version to avoid clash with database version: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB%3DJe-HraoNEWyNFEUSxGjRpH-gC78jHXvDoxnH%2B0wBe%3Dc1rNg%40mail.gmail.com

Should we make it happen? )

Vladimir

Re: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
We've changed the numbering scheme once already. The goal was to remove the need to release when the server released, and vice-versa.

I don't see any benefit to changing the numbering scheme now. Regardless of the number the answer will be the same. "Use the latest"

I do see a downside to changing it again, which is more confusion.

So my vote is to stay the course. 12xx

pgjdbc 13.0 will probably interfere with PostgreSQL 13.0 in a near future.

Believe me or not, but we did have exactly the same discussion a year ago:

The suggestion was "42" as a major version to avoid clash with database version: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB%3DJe-HraoNEWyNFEUSxGjRpH-gC78jHXvDoxnH%2B0wBe%3Dc1rNg%40mail.gmail.com

Should we make it happen? )

Vladimir

Re: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

От
Vladimir Sitnikov

>We've changed the numbering scheme once already

AFAIK, the change from 9.4-1210 to 9.4.1211 was made to follow common convention where version number is separated with dots.

I would agree that it is still common for end-users to confuse 9.4 part with PostgreSQL version.

So moving to pgjdbc 42.0.0 would probably make sense.

Just in case: for current pgjdbc 9.4.1212,   "9.4" mean nothing. "1212" is just a sequence number.
So 42.0.0 would not harm much.

However, it would enable us to use 42.0.1 vs 42.1.0 for "bugfix" vs "new features" releases.
Current pgjdbc versioning scheme does not leave much room for pgjdbc 9.5.0 or alike.

Vladimir

On 25 November 2016 at 07:08, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

>We've changed the numbering scheme once already

AFAIK, the change from 9.4-1210 to 9.4.1211 was made to follow common convention where version number is separated with dots.

Apologies, scheme was a poor choice of words, We've changed the numbering logic once already

I would agree that it is still common for end-users to confuse 9.4 part with PostgreSQL version.

So moving to pgjdbc 42.0.0 would probably make sense.

Just in case: for current pgjdbc 9.4.1212,   "9.4" mean nothing. "1212" is just a sequence number.
So 42.0.0 would not harm much.

However, it would enable us to use 42.0.1 vs 42.1.0 for "bugfix" vs "new features" releases.
Current pgjdbc versioning scheme does not leave much room for pgjdbc 9.5.0 or alike.

OK,

I could be convinced of this. I'm concerned about the unintended side effects such as packaging guys having to deal with the number changing dramatically.

Re: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
> [...]

Apologies, scheme was a poor choice of words, We've changed the numbering logic once already

I would agree that it is still common for end-users to confuse 9.4 part with PostgreSQL version.

So moving to pgjdbc 42.0.0 would probably make sense.

Just in case: for current pgjdbc 9.4.1212,   "9.4" mean nothing. "1212" is just a sequence number.
So 42.0.0 would not harm much.

However, it would enable us to use 42.0.1 vs 42.1.0 for "bugfix" vs "new features" releases.
Current pgjdbc versioning scheme does not leave much room for pgjdbc 9.5.0 or alike.

OK,

I could be convinced of this. I'm concerned about the unintended side effects such as packaging guys having to deal with the number changing dramatically.

Re: Versioning policy PgJDBC - discussion

Дата:
pgjdbc 13.0 will probably interfere with PostgreSQL 13.0 in a near future.

​mmmm, near future, the release frequency of PostgreSQL is mostly once a year, so based on my predictions 10 ->2017, 11 ->2018, 12 ->2019, 13 ->2020. In 4 years from now, I think PgJDBC should have advanced in major version too, probably many times more that PostgreSQL so that in 2020 PgJDBC, who knows, we can be at version 15.0 or 20.0

Believe me or not, but we did have exactly the same discussion a year ago:

Thanks to pointing it. I have read the whole thread but it seems that takes nowhere.​