Обсуждение: Ready to launch?

Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
So, with the possible exception of the survey being missing from the
front page, are we ready to launch now?

As for the survey, the only responses I've seen from anyone are along
the lines of 'yes, it does need to be on the front page'. I personally
think that the 'Featured User' box should be used for this - I can't see
us getting a new quote from a user every few weeks after all...

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 09:06, Dave Page wrote:
> So, with the possible exception of the survey being missing from the
> front page, are we ready to launch now?
>
> As for the survey, the only responses I've seen from anyone are along
> the lines of 'yes, it does need to be on the front page'. I personally
> think that the 'Featured User' box should be used for this - I can't see
> us getting a new quote from a user every few weeks after all...

I like that idea, maybe oscillate between surveys / quotes for 3 weeks /
1 week of every month?

As for rolling up, I think we still have a few things that should be
addressed:

1) "about the new website" link in the announcement doesn't go anywhere,
did someone have content for that?

2) Under About->Press we have a link to the 8.0 press kit and in the FAQ
it stats 8.0 is the most recent version.  Perhaps those links should be
hidden for now?

3) Downloads->BitTorrent-> only has links to the 8.0beta4, can we get a
copy of 7.4.6 and 8.0rc1 ?

4) More of a IMO thing, but I think the links in
Documentation->Manuals->[current|archive] should be changed so that with
user comments is listed first.

5) Documentation->FAQ seems fairly busted. Since we have all of the
language FAQ's working on the current site, I think this needs to be
straightened out before we go live.

6) Books should probably be listed in order of Publish date, an added
bonus would be to link to the book information on techdocs (reviews,
recommendations) but not a deal breaker.

7) I think we should add gborg, pgfoundry, and techdocs to
Community->Resources. possibly devrim's blog roll too, though I dont
know if that is live yet.

8) Support->professional services is blank, we either need to import the
info from techdocs are create a link to it.

9) Support-> hosting is also blank, same story as #8

10) Support-> bug reporting probably should have a link to the
pgsql-bugs archives.

11) Should the license link in the footer point to the license of the
website?

12) Anyone else have an issue with the footer links sometimes
overlapping the sponser add? I get this alot in the community section of
the website.

Robert Treat

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Sounds good to me.

> As for rolling up, I think we still have a few things that should be
> addressed:
>

> 5) Documentation->FAQ seems fairly busted. Since we have all of the
> language FAQ's working on the current site, I think this needs to be
> straightened out before we go live.

They should be there - the links just need fixing. The problem is that
these are extracted automatically from CVS, so integrating them into the
site properly as the note on that page suggests is not particularly
easy.

> 11) Should the license link in the footer point to the license of the
> website?

Using Omar's reasoning for removing my Privacy Policy link from the
About section (ie. It's to do with the site, not the product), I would
say that the Licence link from the bottom of each page should go
altogether.

That said, the site code is also under the BSD licence (albeit the
standard one, not the PG version) - but does anyone really care about
that? {erhaps it's best left on Gborg.

Which reminds me of a problem - *all* the website in CVS is published
under the BSD licence, however that includes the elephant which Emily
pointed out was a $100 stock photo. Technically that means we cannot use
the elephant...

> 12) Anyone else have an issue with the footer links sometimes
> overlapping the sponser add? I get this alot in the community
> section of
> the website.

My brother pointed that out the other day. He's a web developer by trade
so has a bunch of browsers to hand, and determined that of those he had,
only Firefox 0.9 seemed to be affected. 1.0 seems to be fine (that's
what I run).

Does that tie in with your system?

WRT the other items, are they on the todo? Can you add them and mark the
showstoppers if not please?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> Which reminds me of a problem - *all* the website in CVS is published
> under the BSD licence, however that includes the elephant which Emily
> pointed out was a $100 stock photo. Technically that means we cannot use
> the elephant...

How so?  The BSD license is not antithetical to living beside non-free
stuff (unlike GPL).  I agree it would be a good idea to point out
somewhere in the relevant docs that the elephant image isn't BSD'd,
just so no one mistakenly thinks it is.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Oh no, that's not what I meant. The entire site is in CVS (in fact,
periodically rebuilds itself from CVS), and that CVS is advertised by
the Gborg site as being covered by a BSD licence. It's not easy to edit
that as the licence is one of a number of standard ones used site wide.
If we keep the elephant in CVS, then I think we would need to include a
note saying that it is not included in the licence on every place we
have/display that licence. Not only is that a pita, but is also made
more difficult for the reason mentioned already.

Are there no good royalty free alternatives around?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
>>> Which reminds me of a problem - *all* the website in CVS is
>> published
>>> under the BSD licence, however that includes the elephant
>> which Emily
>>> pointed out was a $100 stock photo. Technically that means
>> we cannot use
>>> the elephant...
>>
>> How so?  The BSD license is not antithetical to living beside non-free
>> stuff (unlike GPL).
>> I agree it would be a good idea to point out
>> somewhere in the relevant docs that the elephant image isn't BSD'd,
>> just so no one mistakenly thinks it is.
>
> Oh no, that's not what I meant. The entire site is in CVS (in fact,
> periodically rebuilds itself from CVS), and that CVS is advertised by
> the Gborg site as being covered by a BSD licence. It's not easy to edit
> that as the licence is one of a number of standard ones used site wide.
> If we keep the elephant in CVS, then I think we would need to include a
> note saying that it is not included in the licence on every place we
> have/display that licence. Not only is that a pita, but is also made
> more difficult for the reason mentioned already.
>
> Are there no good royalty free alternatives around?

Could we not put it outside of CVS and just link'd in via the IMG SRC tag?

----

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Steve Simms
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> 12) Anyone else have an issue with the footer links sometimes
> overlapping the sponser add? I get this alot in the community section of
> the website.

I'm seeing this with Mozilla 1.7.3 on Linux.  It seems to happen on any
short page where the text doesn't clear the sidebar (e.g. Case Studies,
Privacy Policy).

--
Steve Simms <steve@deefs.net>
http://www.deefs.net

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Omar Kilani
Дата:
Hi,

> Oh no, that's not what I meant. The entire site is in CVS (in fact,

You mean the sentence at the top of the project page? "This project is
released under the Berkeley/BSD license"?

Just adding something in the project description that says what the
actual license is would work.

On the other hand, the source itself does not have a license included
(as Gavin pointed out), and does not appear to have an actual binding
license. Adding the bit about the elephant into the eventual
COPYING/LICENSE file is all that's needed in that regard.

> Are there no good royalty free alternatives around?

Uh, it *is* a royalty free image. Rights managed images cost several
thousand dollars plus. Royalty free just means you don't pay royalties.

If you mean free (libre and gratis), then it'd be virtually impossible
to find an totally free image of that quality.

Unless someone happens to be a budding photographer, and has some great
pictures of elephants in the African savannah, that is. In which case,
I'm all for it.

Or, the dancing bear. Perhaps we can dress it up as an elephant?

Omar

License For Contribution [Was: Re: Ready to launch?]

От
Omar Kilani
Дата:
Hi,

>>Which reminds me of a problem - *all* the website in CVS is published
>>under the BSD licence, however that includes the elephant which Emily
>>pointed out was a $100 stock photo. Technically that means we cannot use
>>the elephant...
>
> How so?  The BSD license is not antithetical to living beside non-free
> stuff (unlike GPL).  I agree it would be a good idea to point out
> somewhere in the relevant docs that the elephant image isn't BSD'd,
> just so no one mistakenly thinks it is.

I'd like to point out that code does not equate to *design*, and that
the previous conversation was about *site code*, i.e., pgweb, and not
the design (and even then, nothing was decided upon.)

Not that there's anything in the BSD license that says you can't use an
image on a website, but alas.

This is a proposed license. The PostgreSQL Global Development Group must
accept the following terms for the BSD license and copyright addition to
take affect (the CSS has already been BSD licensed, separately.)

---

The images (except the elephant in the announcement box on the front
page), the unique combination of images, colors, sizes, typography, and
positioning ("the design") are:

Copyright (c) 2004 Emily Boyd
Copyright (c) 2004 Omar Kilani

("the original copyright holders") and is additionally:

Copyright (c) 2004 PostgreSQL Global Development Group

And is released under the BSD license.

---

The elephant in the announcement box on the front page is a licensed
derivative work of a royalty free image, and Emily Boyd grants the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group the right to use said image on the
postgresql.org website.

---

Use by PostgreSQL International sites is possible, but a right to use
must be granted by Emily Boyd for each licensee, as per the terms of the
original license on the image.

---

>             regards, tom lane

Best Regards,
Omar Kilani
Emily Boyd

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 20 December 2004 11:50, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Well, mine is the mozilla based Galeon 1.2.6.  As Steve said, this seems to
happen on any short page where the text doesn't clear the sidebar.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
    The License on GBorg for that project could be easily changed to
whatever makes the most sense.

Chris Ryan

--- Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Presumably that means creating a new site-wide licence option though?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Yeah, but it would be a real pita to have one image from the site stored
in a different way from the entire rest of the site.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Chris Ryan
Дата:
    From reading the other messages I think this has been resolved,
however... I can create a license record that is not availabe to other
projects and then manually assign that license to a project.

Chris Ryan

--- Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Oh, that's OK then. Another problem solved :-)

Thanks Chris.

Regards Dave

Re: License For Contribution [Was: Re: Ready to launch?]

Дата:
Omar Kilani <omar@tinysofa.org> writes:
> The elephant in the announcement box on the front page is a licensed
> derivative work of a royalty free image, and Emily Boyd grants the
> PostgreSQL Global Development Group the right to use said image on the
> postgresql.org website.
>
> Use by PostgreSQL International sites is possible, but a right to use
> must be granted by Emily Boyd for each licensee, as per the terms of the
> original license on the image.

Hmm.  As phrased, this would seem to require Emily to write a grant for
each Postgres mirror site.  While she might be happy to do that, I think
it'd become a bookkeeping nightmare in no time.  If the license you have
for the image requires these sorts of pushups then I agree with Joshua
--- we should look elsewhere.

Could we see the exact terms under which you licensed the image?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ready to launch?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:07:04AM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 09:06, Dave Page wrote:

> 3) Downloads->BitTorrent-> only has links to the 8.0beta4, can we get a
> copy of 7.4.6 and 8.0rc1 ?

Um, bt.postgresql.org has rc1.  What didn't I fix?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Nothing - the new site has links to the main torrents (which I fixed
last night):

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/bittorrent

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Link removed for now.

> 2) Under About->Press we have a link to the 8.0 press kit and
> in the FAQ
> it stats 8.0 is the most recent version.  Perhaps those links
> should be
> hidden for now?

Done.

> 3) Downloads->BitTorrent-> only has links to the 8.0beta4,
> can we get a
> copy of 7.4.6 and 8.0rc1 ?

Added.

> 4) More of a IMO thing, but I think the links in
> Documentation->Manuals->[current|archive] should be changed
> so that with
> user comments is listed first.

Done.

> 5) Documentation->FAQ seems fairly busted. Since we have all of the
> language FAQ's working on the current site, I think this needs to be
> straightened out before we go live.

Links pointed to auto-updating docs from CVS.

> 6) Books should probably be listed in order of Publish date, an added
> bonus would be to link to the book information on techdocs (reviews,
> recommendations) but not a deal breaker.

Not done yet.

> 7) I think we should add gborg, pgfoundry, and techdocs to
> Community->Resources. possibly devrim's blog roll too, though I dont
> know if that is live yet.

Done (the first 3)

> 8) Support->professional services is blank, we either need to
> import the
> info from techdocs are create a link to it.

Links pointed to techdocs for now.

> 9) Support-> hosting is also blank, same story as #8

Links pointed to techdocs for now.

> 10) Support-> bug reporting probably should have a link to the
> pgsql-bugs archives.

Done.

> 11) Should the license link in the footer point to the license of the
> website?

Left as-is (licence applies to code and site).

> 12) Anyone else have an issue with the footer links sometimes
> overlapping the sponser add? I get this alot in the community
> section of
> the website.

Probably an issue with certain versions of Gecko (now fixed) given the
reports on the list. I haven't looked at this.

Regards, Dave

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Steve Simms
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> So, with the possible exception of the survey being missing from the
> front page, are we ready to launch now?

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer/profiles

... linked from the first paragraph of ...

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer

... gives a "Page Not Found" error.

--
Steve Simms <steve@deefs.net>
http://www.deefs.net

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

That was fixed last night...

But thanks :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Steve Simms
Дата:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

It still doesn't work for me...  Should I be using a different link?

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Simms <steve@deefs.net>
http://www.deefs.net

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer/bios

Regards, Dave.

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Steve Simms
Дата:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> > It still doesn't work for me...  Should I be using a different link?
>
> http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer/bios

Ok, in that case, the link in the first paragraph of ...

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer/

... should be changed to point to that page.  :-)

Hope this helps,
Steve

--
Steve Simms <steve@deefs.net>
http://www.deefs.net

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

It was - last night :-)

Perhaps you need to refresh?

/D

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Steve Simms
Дата:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> > Ok, in that case, the link in the first paragraph of ...
> >
> > http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer/
> >
> > ... should be changed to point to that page.  :-)
>
> It was - last night :-)
>
> Perhaps you need to refresh?

I did, several times, and just tried it from a fresh browser on a
different server in a different part of the US to boot.  :-)

The link still points to /developer/profiles, unless I'm greatly mistaken
(which is not at all outside of the realm of possibility).

Hmm, perhaps this is it.  The link in the *sidebar* points to
/developer/bios, but the link in the first paragraph of text in the main
*content* area (text is "people behind PostgreSQL") still points to
/developer/profiles.  That's the one I'm talking about.

Hope this helps,
Steve

--
Steve Simms <steve@deefs.net>
http://www.deefs.net

Re: Ready to launch?

От
"Dave Page"

Ahh, yes thanks. I thought you meant the menu - didn't realise there was
another. It'll be fixed in 5 mins (but will probably take up to 4 hours
to update on the site).

Sorry for the confusion (and thanks to Gavin as well)!

Regards, Dave

Re: Ready to launch?

От
Oleg Bartunov
>>> So, with the possible exception of the survey being missing from the
>>> front page, are we ready to launch now?
>>
>> http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer/profiles
>>
>> ... linked from the first paragraph of ...
>>
>> http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/developer
>>
>> ... gives a "Page Not Found" error.
>
> That was fixed last night...

unfortunately, I see