Обсуждение: script binaries renaming

script binaries renaming

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
I attach complete patch which renames following binaries

createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
vacuumdb reindexdb

pg_createdb pg_createlang pg_createuser pg_dropdb pg_droplang
pg_dropuser pg_clusterdb pg_vacuumdb pg_reindexdb

Symlinks (or copy on win32) are created for backward compatibility.

This renaming was discussed there:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00145.php

I create also separate unified patch for documentation.

    Zdenek

Вложения

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>
> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
> vacuumdb reindexdb

> pg_createdb pg_createlang pg_createuser pg_dropdb pg_droplang
> pg_dropuser pg_clusterdb pg_vacuumdb pg_reindexdb
>
> Symlinks (or copy on win32) are created for backward compatibility.
>
> This renaming was discussed there:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00145.php
>
> I create also separate unified patch for documentation.

A couple of comments:

Do we actually need to remove and recreate the documentation files?
Can't we keep the source files and just have it generate the man pages
and other references with the outputname pg_xyz?

Should we be installing symlinks or at least a placeholder manpage for
the old commandnames (maybe a single man page for all the old commands
saying "prefix pg_ to get this command") the same way it's done for the
binaries? (my apologies if it already does this, I don't know exactly
how the man pages are generated from the sgml. I just noticed there was
no makefile modified in the docs area)

I'm also not sure we really should install copies on win32. Given how
seldom these commands are actually used on windows (most people really
use pgadmin to do these things).

Also, your patch does not touch the msvc buildsystem, which will still
be generating files with the old name.

//Magnus

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2007 17:04 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>
> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
> vacuumdb reindexdb

I just want to say I dislike this idea.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2007 06:59 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> I'm also not sure we really should install copies on win32. Given how
> seldom these commands are actually used on windows

But some people do use them, and they should have the same experience as on
any other platform.  I don't think disk space is really a concern, is it?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: script binaries renaming

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, July 6, 2007 8:51 am, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2007 17:04 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
>> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>>
>> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
>> vacuumdb reindexdb
>
> I just want to say I dislike this idea.

This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.

/D

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jul 6, 2007, at 5:53 , Dave Page wrote:

> On Fri, July 6, 2007 8:51 am, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2007 17:04 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
>>> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>>>
>>> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
>>> vacuumdb reindexdb
>>
>> I just want to say I dislike this idea.
>
> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.

While the change might be awkward, the names of these binaries really
should be namespaced in some way. The current just too generic to be
throwing into a bin/ directory in my opinion.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: script binaries renaming

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2007, at 5:53 , Dave Page wrote:

>>> I just want to say I dislike this idea.
>>
>> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
>> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
>> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.
>
> While the change might be awkward, the names of these binaries really
> should be namespaced in some way. The current just too generic to be
> throwing into a bin/ directory in my opinion.

Why should they be name spaced? I see zero reason why that should be the
case...

apache_httpd?
gnu_ls?

The only obvious name spaced applications out there are in the G/K world
of nome and de.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: script binaries renaming

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2007, at 5:53 , Dave Page wrote:

>>> I just want to say I dislike this idea.
>>
>> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
>> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
>> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.
>
> While the change might be awkward, the names of these binaries really
> should be namespaced in some way. The current just too generic to be
> throwing into a bin/ directory in my opinion.

Of course I realize that I voted for the idea in the first place. I
voted for it for consistency more than anything but as I think about it,
it really is clunky and doesn't serve any real purpose.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jul 6, 2007, at 11:28 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Why should they be name spaced? I see zero reason why that should
> be the case...
>
> apache_httpd?
> gnu_ls?

Personally, I think that the Apache daemon *should* be named apached
or something along those lines.

Compare with postgres, pg_ctl, pg_dump, or pg_config. Albeit postgres
is not consistent, they're all easily identifiable with PostgreSQL.
In my opinion, postgres, pg_ctl, pg_ccmp, and pg_config are better
names than, say, dbmsd, dbms_ctl, db_dump, and db_config. Also, we
recently deprecated the use of postmaster (easily confused with mail
systems) in favor of postgres. Looking at the binaries that are
installed for 8.2:

clusterdb
createdb
createlang
createuser
dropdb
droplang
dropuser
ecpg
initdb
ipcclean
pg_config
pg_controldata
pg_ctl
pg_dump
pg_dumpall
pg_resetxlog
pg_restore
postgres
postmaster -> postgres
psql
reindexdb
vacuumdb

If these are all dumped into /usr/local/bin (as they sometimes are),
many of them are not readily identifiable with PostgreSQL. Shouldn't
they be? Compare with Subversion:
svn
svnadmin
svndumpfileter
svnlook
svnserver
svnsync
svnversion

I find these names much more consistent.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>>
>> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
>> vacuumdb reindexdb

>> pg_createdb pg_createlang pg_createuser pg_dropdb pg_droplang
>> pg_dropuser pg_clusterdb pg_vacuumdb pg_reindexdb
>>
>> Symlinks (or copy on win32) are created for backward compatibility.
>>
>> This renaming was discussed there:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00145.php
>>
>> I create also separate unified patch for documentation.
>
> A couple of comments:
>
> Do we actually need to remove and recreate the documentation files?
> Can't we keep the source files and just have it generate the man pages
> and other references with the outputname pg_xyz?

I used postmaster/postgresql as a pattern for makefile and documentation
changes.

> Should we be installing symlinks or at least a placeholder manpage for
> the old commandnames (maybe a single man page for all the old commands
> saying "prefix pg_ to get this command") the same way it's done for the
> binaries? (my apologies if it already does this, I don't know exactly
> how the man pages are generated from the sgml. I just noticed there was
> no makefile modified in the docs area)

I'm not guru on documentation building, but there are driver files which
contains list of files - see reference.sgml and ref/allfiles.sgml.

I copied decription from current pages to new pg_* files. In old files I
only keep mention that it is obsolete command. See postmaster
documentation.

> I'm also not sure we really should install copies on win32. Given how
> seldom these commands are actually used on windows (most people really
> use pgadmin to do these things).

Postmaster does same thing.

> Also, your patch does not touch the msvc buildsystem, which will still
> be generating files with the old name.

Hmm. I do not nothing about it :(. I need help there.

        Thank for your comments

            Zdenek

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I'm also not sure we really should install copies on win32. Given how
>> seldom these commands are actually used on windows (most people really
>> use pgadmin to do these things).
>
> Postmaster does same thing.

Actually, the win32 distribution only ships postgres.exe, not
postmaster.exe.

>> Also, your patch does not touch the msvc buildsystem, which will still
>> be generating files with the old name.
>
> Hmm. I do not nothing about it :(. I need help there.

Actually, now that I look at it it seems like most of it comes out
automatically from the Makefile parser. We'll just have to test that if
the patch ends up being accepted (as there seems to be some discussion
about that...)

//Magnus

Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, July 6, 2007 8:51 am, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2007 17:04 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
>>> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>>>
>>> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
>>> vacuumdb reindexdb
>> I just want to say I dislike this idea.
>
> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.

But these utilities are mostly using in scripts -> one type, multi use.
I think, most users prefer psql for interactive typing.

        Zdenek

Re: script binaries renaming

От
Zdenek Kotala
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann wrote:

>>> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
>>> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
>>> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.
>>
>> While the change might be awkward, the names of these binaries really
>> should be namespaced in some way. The current just too generic to be
>> throwing into a bin/ directory in my opinion.
>
> Of course I realize that I voted for the idea in the first place. I
> voted for it for consistency more than anything but as I think about it,
> it really is clunky and doesn't serve any real purpose.

There is group of people who has different opinion. The main reasons for
this patch are 1) names could collide with system tools 2) it is
confusing for lot of users - typically for newbies and me :-) 3) it is
not consistent with naming convention.

I started to use postgres since version 6.5 and these names of script
utilities are still confusing for me.

By the way my original idea was create new command "pg_cmd", which
integrates all in one include missing commands(e.g. createtablespace).

        Zdenek

Re: script binaries renaming