Обсуждение: pgaccess seems a tad confused

pgaccess seems a tad confused

Дата:
1. Why did the new pgaccess get installed into REL6_5 branch but not
main development branch?

2. New pgaccess no longer has a Makefile in src/bin/pgaccess, which
is a problem because src/bin/Makefile tries to run a sub-make in that
directory when configured --with-tcl.  Lack of the sub-Makefile looks
bogus to me; it may not need to do anything for "make all" but it sure
ought to do something for "make install", no?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused

Дата:
> 1. Why did the new pgaccess get installed into REL6_5 branch but not
> main development branch?

No sense putting in development because there will probably be a newer
version by the time 6.6 is released, no?

> 2. New pgaccess no longer has a Makefile in src/bin/pgaccess, which
> is a problem because src/bin/Makefile tries to run a sub-make in that
> directory when configured --with-tcl.  Lack of the sub-Makefile looks
> bogus to me; it may not need to do anything for "make all" but it sure
> ought to do something for "make install", no?

Yes.  I was not in favor of adding new pgaccess in 6.5.2, but was
out-voted.

I have re-added the Makefile that appeared in the development tree.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused

От
Brook Milligan
Дата:
   > 1. Why did the new pgaccess get installed into REL6_5 branch but not  > main development branch?  >
  No sense putting in development because there will probably be a newer  version by the time 6.6 is released, no?

Yes there will be, but it seems to serve two purposes.  One is that
anyone working with the development tree at least has some version of
pgaccess handy.  More importantly, though, any bugs in the Makefile or
whatever will be noticed early by developers and won't wait until the
last moment.  Since the basic installation scheme likely doesn't
depend much on the exact pgaccess release, there really isn't much to
be lost by keeping it in the development tree.

Cheers,
Brook

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused

Дата:
>    > 1. Why did the new pgaccess get installed into REL6_5 branch but not
>    > main development branch?
>    >

>    No sense putting in development because there will probably be a newer
>    version by the time 6.6 is released, no?
>
> Yes there will be, but it seems to serve two purposes.  One is that
> anyone working with the development tree at least has some version of
> pgaccess handy.  More importantly, though, any bugs in the Makefile or
> whatever will be noticed early by developers and won't wait until the
> last moment.  Since the basic installation scheme likely doesn't
> depend much on the exact pgaccess release, there really isn't much to
> be lost by keeping it in the development tree.

It is in the development tree, just not the most recent version.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused

Дата:
>> More importantly, though, any bugs in the Makefile or
>> whatever will be noticed early by developers and won't wait until the
>> last moment.  Since the basic installation scheme likely doesn't
>> depend much on the exact pgaccess release, there really isn't much to
>> be lost by keeping it in the development tree.

> It is in the development tree, just not the most recent version.

But the point is, if the most recent version had been in the development
tree, we'd have had a better shot at noticing that its makefile was
missing...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> >> More importantly, though, any bugs in the Makefile or
> >> whatever will be noticed early by developers and won't wait until the
> >> last moment.  Since the basic installation scheme likely doesn't
> >> depend much on the exact pgaccess release, there really isn't much to
> >> be lost by keeping it in the development tree.
>
> > It is in the development tree, just not the most recent version.
>
> But the point is, if the most recent version had been in the development
> tree, we'd have had a better shot at noticing that its makefile was
> missing...

I guess.  The new pgaccess release was so different than the current
one, I just cvs removed all files, and readded everything.  That is how
Makefile go lost.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > It is in the development tree, just not the most recent version.
> >
> > But the point is, if the most recent version had been in the development
> > tree, we'd have had a better shot at noticing that its makefile was
> > missing...
> >

> I guess.  The new pgaccess release was so different than the current
> one, I just cvs removed all files, and readded everything.  That is how
> Makefile go lost.

Ewwww...so, like, we lost the 'history' of the files that only changed vs
were new? *raised eyebrow*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

Дата:
> > I guess.  The new pgaccess release was so different than the current
> > one, I just cvs removed all files, and readded everything.  That is how
> > Makefile go lost.
>
> Ewwww...so, like, we lost the 'history' of the files that only changed vs
> were new? *raised eyebrow*

Yes, thought the pgaccess file was kept I think.  I just checked, and
somehow the pgaccess files are not in the stable tree anymore, just the
directories.

I got the final version <24 hours from release.  It was in my tree, but
now it isn't, and it isn't in 6.5.2 either.

I asked for the author to verify my work.  I am adding it to the tree
now.  What do we do?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I guess.  The new pgaccess release was so different than the current
> > > one, I just cvs removed all files, and readded everything.  That is how
> > > Makefile go lost.
> >
> > Ewwww...so, like, we lost the 'history' of the files that only changed vs
> > were new? *raised eyebrow*
>
> Yes, thought the pgaccess file was kept I think.  I just checked, and
> somehow the pgaccess files are not in the stable tree anymore, just the
> directories.
>
> I got the final version <24 hours from release.  It was in my tree, but
> now it isn't, and it isn't in 6.5.2 either.
>
> I asked for the author to verify my work.  I am adding it to the tree
> now.  What do we do?

Okay, am very confused here...just did:

cvs checkout -rREL6_5_PATCHES -P pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess

it extracted 243 files...

> cvs status Makefile
File: Makefile          Status: Up-to-date
  Working revision:    1.1.4.2  Repository revision: 1.1.4.2 /usr/local/cvsroot/pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/Makefile,v
StickyTag:          REL6_5_PATCHES (branch: 1.1.4)  Sticky Date:         (none)  Sticky Options:      (none)

I just performed the same on the same on the non-'-r' tree, and now see
what you mean :(

I should be able to fix this momentarily...I hope...

Its all a learning less...assuming you know what you've learnt? :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

Дата:
I am totally confused, but have added the missing files.

> > > Ewwww...so, like, we lost the 'history' of the files that only changed vs
> > > were new? *raised eyebrow*
> >
> > Yes, thought the pgaccess file was kept I think.  I just checked, and
> > somehow the pgaccess files are not in the stable tree anymore, just the
> > directories.
> >
> > I got the final version <24 hours from release.  It was in my tree, but
> > now it isn't, and it isn't in 6.5.2 either.
> >
> > I asked for the author to verify my work.  I am adding it to the tree
> > now.  What do we do?
>
> Okay, am very confused here...just did:
>
> cvs checkout -rREL6_5_PATCHES -P pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess
>
> it extracted 243 files...
>
> > cvs status Makefile
> File: Makefile          Status: Up-to-date
>
>    Working revision:    1.1.4.2
>    Repository revision: 1.1.4.2 /usr/local/cvsroot/pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/Makefile,v
>    Sticky Tag:          REL6_5_PATCHES (branch: 1.1.4)
>    Sticky Date:         (none)
>    Sticky Options:      (none)
>
> I just performed the same on the same on the non-'-r' tree, and now see
> what you mean :(
>
> I should be able to fix this momentarily...I hope...
>
> Its all a learning less...assuming you know what you've learnt? :)
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I got the final version <24 hours from release.  It was in my tree, but
> now it isn't, and it isn't in 6.5.2 either.
>
> I asked for the author to verify my work.  I am adding it to the tree
> now.  What do we do?

Either make a 6.5.3, inline 6.5.2 (6.5.2a, anyone??) or leave 6.5.2 as is.
None is ideal -- although a 6.5.3 is better than a badly broken 6.5.2.  The
short term solution is for those using 6.5.2 to download the pgaccess-0.98
tarball from flex.ro.

I ran across the depopulated pgaccess tree this morning while starting the
build cycle for the 6.5.2 rpms -- good thing I have already dealt with that
issue with previous packages.  For the RPM's, it has been practice for some time
to include the very latest pgaccess as a separate tarball, then untarring it
over top of the one in the main tarball during the package build.  I was hoping
to get away from that. ;-(
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

Дата:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I got the final version <24 hours from release.  It was in my tree, but
> > now it isn't, and it isn't in 6.5.2 either.
> >
> > I asked for the author to verify my work.  I am adding it to the tree
> > now.  What do we do?
>
> Either make a 6.5.3, inline 6.5.2 (6.5.2a, anyone??) or leave 6.5.2 as is.
> None is ideal -- although a 6.5.3 is better than a badly broken 6.5.2.  The
> short term solution is for those using 6.5.2 to download the pgaccess-0.98
> tarball from flex.ro.
>
> I ran across the depopulated pgaccess tree this morning while starting the
> build cycle for the 6.5.2 rpms -- good thing I have already dealt with that
> issue with previous packages.  For the RPM's, it has been practice for some time
> to include the very latest pgaccess as a separate tarball, then untarring it
> over top of the one in the main tarball during the package build.  I was hoping
> to get away from that. ;-(

Yes, I have created a bad situation.  pgaccess it very important for pgsql.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pgaccess seems a tad confused]

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I ran across the depopulated pgaccess tree this morning while starting the
> > build cycle for the 6.5.2 rpms -- good thing I have already dealt with that
> > issue with previous packages.  For the RPM's, it has been practice for some time
> > to include the very latest pgaccess as a separate tarball, then untarring it
> > over top of the one in the main tarball during the package build.  I was hoping
> > to get away from that. ;-(
>
> Yes, I have created a bad situation.  pgaccess it very important for pgsql.

I wouldn't have even noticed had I not remembered that pgaccess-0.98 was one of
the enhancements in 6.5.2.  I was looking to rid the RPM's of the extra tarball
of pgaccess.  Had I not noticed, I would have blissfully kept the pgaccess-0.98
tarball in the RPM, and not gone rabbit-hunting.  As it stands, the
pgacess-0.98 tarball is kept in the 6.5.2 RPM, just not blissfully. ;-)

Don't punish yourself too hard -- an honest (if avoidable) mistake.

Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11