Re: No PGDG package for ARM architecture

От Amit Khandekar
Тема Re: No PGDG package for ARM architecture
Дата
Re: No PGDG package for ARM architecture
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 at 14:35, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:

> Re: Amit Khandekar 2020-03-13 <CAJ3gD9ezKiUgcZDjbUa4svn3A+M_r6QvgOVmarA2aoDR9i+iLA@mail.gmail.com>
> > The page https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ says :
> > "The PGDG packages are built from the same source as the Debian packages
> > (Ubuntu is using the same source for the PostgreSQL server packages as
> > well). We try to follow Debian unstable's versions as close as possible"
> >
> > From the above, I expected that because Ubuntu provides a PostgreSQL
> > installable, PostgreSQL also should provide the same through
> > apt.postgresql.org ? Am I missing something ?
>
> "Same source" doesn't imply that the same set of architectures is
> covered.

Hmm, right. The thing I was actually wondering was, *why* the same
architectures are not covered by PGDG.

> We are also missing more than a dozen others that Debian is
> covering:
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=postgresql-12
>
> > I believe due to the absence of these packages in PostgreSQL repositories,
> > there is no mention of aarch(64) in the PostgreSQl downloads website :
> > https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
>
> Are you able to provide a build host for arm64? Specs would be
> something like >= 8 cores, 8 GB of RAM, 100 GB disk, root access.

As of now, I am not sure, but if required I will at least try to see
if that can be arranged.

So, when we see that there are N number of OS/architecture
combinations for which PGDG does not provide packages, is it so
because we don't have dedicated machines satisfying the minumum
requirements like RAM/core/disk ? In other words, is it only a matter
of providing such machine and adding it up in the buildfarm members
where it passes the regression tests, or there are are some more
requirements over and above the machine resource requirements after
which PGDG can officially support those OS/architecture combinations ?

Thanks
-Amit Khandekar
Huawei Technologies