Обсуждение: Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.

Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.

От
Roberto Mello
Suggestion:

In the C example you added you mention in the comment:

+  /* Methods from TableAmRoutine omitted from example, but all
+     non-optional ones must be provided here. */

Perhaps you could provide a "see <xyz>" to point the reader finding your example where he could find these non-optional
methodshe must provide?

Nitpicking a little: your patch appears to change more lines than it does, because it added line breaks earlier in the
lines.I would generally avoid that unless there's good reason to do so.
Implements feature:       not tested
Spec compliant:           not tested
Documentation:            tested, passed

Hello,

I've reviewed your patch and it applies correctly and the documentation builds without any error. The built
documentationalso looks good with no formatting errors. It's always great to see more examples when reading through
documentationso I think this patch is a good addition.

thanks,

-----------------------
Tristen Raab
Highgo Software Canada
www.highgo.ca

Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 8:29 PM Roberto Mello <roberto.mello@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suggestion:
>
> In the C example you added you mention in the comment:
>
> +  /* Methods from TableAmRoutine omitted from example, but all
> +     non-optional ones must be provided here. */
>
> Perhaps you could provide a "see <xyz>" to point the reader finding your example where he could find these non-optional methods he must provide?
>
> Nitpicking a little: your patch appears to change more lines than it does, because it added line breaks earlier in the lines. I would generally avoid that unless there's good reason to do so.

Hey folks,

There is a previous patch [1] around the same topic. What about joining efforts on pointing these documentation changes to the proposed test module?

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 3:03 PM Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 8:29 PM Roberto Mello <roberto.mello@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Suggestion:
> >
> > In the C example you added you mention in the comment:
> >
> > +  /* Methods from TableAmRoutine omitted from example, but all
> > +     non-optional ones must be provided here. */
> >
> > Perhaps you could provide a "see <xyz>" to point the reader finding your example where he could find these
non-optionalmethods he must provide?

> > Nitpicking a little: your patch appears to change more lines than it does, because it added line breaks earlier in
thelines. I would generally avoid that unless there's good reason to do so.

> Hey folks,
>
> There is a previous patch [1] around the same topic. What about joining efforts on pointing these documentation
changesto the proposed test module?

> [1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/46/4588/

Looking over this thread, I see that it was moved from pgsql-docs to
pgsql-hackers while at the same time dropping the original poster from
the Cc list. That seems rather unfortunate. I suspect there's a pretty
good chance that Phil Eaton hasn't seen any of the replies other than
the first one from Paul Jungwirth, which is also the only one that
didn't ask for anything to be changed.

Re-adding Phil. Phil, you should have a look over
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAByiw%2Br%2BCS-ojBDP7Dm%3D9YeOLkZTXVnBmOe_ajK%3Den8C_zB3_g%40mail.gmail.com
and respond to the various emails and probably update the patch
somehow. Note that feature freeze is in 2 weeks, so if we can't reach
agreement on what is to be done here soon, this will have to wait for
the next cycle, or later.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Thanks Robert for mentioning this! I indeed did not notice the switch.

> Nitpicking a little: your patch appears to change more lines than it does, because it added line breaks earlier in
thelines. I would generally avoid that unless there's good reason to do so.

Thanks! I'm not sure why that happened since I normally run
fill-region in emacs and when I re-ran it now, it looked as it used
to. I've fixed it up in this patch.

> Perhaps you could provide a "see <xyz>" to point the reader finding your example where he could find these
non-optionalmethods he must provide?

Since the responses were positive, I've taken the liberty to extend
the sample code by simply including all the stub methods and the full
struct. Marking which methods are optional and not.

If that looks like too much, I can revert back. Perhaps only
mentioning the struct like we do for the index AM here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/index-api.html. However, as a
reader, I feel like the full stubs are a bit more useful.

Happy for feedback. Updated patch is attached.

Cheers,
Phil

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 1:40 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 3:03 PM Fabrízio de Royes Mello
> <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 8:29 PM Roberto Mello <roberto.mello@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Suggestion:
> > >
> > > In the C example you added you mention in the comment:
> > >
> > > +  /* Methods from TableAmRoutine omitted from example, but all
> > > +     non-optional ones must be provided here. */
> > >
> > > Perhaps you could provide a "see <xyz>" to point the reader finding your example where he could find these
non-optionalmethods he must provide?

> > > Nitpicking a little: your patch appears to change more lines than it does, because it added line breaks earlier
inthe lines. I would generally avoid that unless there's good reason to do so.

> > Hey folks,
> >
> > There is a previous patch [1] around the same topic. What about joining efforts on pointing these documentation
changesto the proposed test module?

> > [1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/46/4588/
>
> Looking over this thread, I see that it was moved from pgsql-docs to
> pgsql-hackers while at the same time dropping the original poster from
> the Cc list. That seems rather unfortunate. I suspect there's a pretty
> good chance that Phil Eaton hasn't seen any of the replies other than
> the first one from Paul Jungwirth, which is also the only one that
> didn't ask for anything to be changed.
>
> Re-adding Phil. Phil, you should have a look over

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAByiw%2Br%2BCS-ojBDP7Dm%3D9YeOLkZTXVnBmOe_ajK%3Den8C_zB3_g%40mail.gmail.com
> and respond to the various emails and probably update the patch
> somehow. Note that feature freeze is in 2 weeks, so if we can't reach
> agreement on what is to be done here soon, this will have to wait for
> the next cycle, or later.
>
> --
> Robert Haas
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения
On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 1:35 PM Phil Eaton <phil@eatonphil.com> wrote:
> Happy for feedback. Updated patch is attached.

I took a look at this patch and I don't think this is a very good
idea, for two reasons:

1. We change the table access method interface definitions not all
that infrequently, so I think this will become out of date, and fail
to get updated.

2. Writing a table access method is really hard, and if you need this
in order to be able to attempt it, you're probably shouldn't be
attmempting it.

I wouldn't mind patching the documentation to add the SQL part of
this; that seems short enough, non-obvious enough, and sufficiently
unlikely to change that I can believe it would be a worthwhile
addition. But there have been 21 commits to tableam.h in the last 6
months and most of those would have needed to update this example, and
I think it's very likely that some of them would have forgotten it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

> I took a look at this patch and I don't think this is a very good
> idea,

No problem! I've dropped the v2 code additions and stuck with the v1
attempt plus feedback.

Thank you!

Phil

Вложения
On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 3:02 PM Phil Eaton <phil@eatonphil.com> wrote:
> > I took a look at this patch and I don't think this is a very good
> > idea,
>
> No problem! I've dropped the v2 code additions and stuck with the v1
> attempt plus feedback.

That looks more reasonable. I'd like to quibble with this text:

+. Here is an example of how to register an extension that provides a
+  table access method handler:

I think this should say something more like "Here is how an extension
SQL script might create a table access method handler". I'm not sure
if we have a standard term in our documentation that should be used
instead of "extension SQL script"; perhaps look for similar examples,
or the documentation of extensions themselves, and copy the wording.

Shouldn't "mem_tableam_handler" be "my_tableam_handler"?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

> I think this should say something more like "Here is how an extension
> SQL script might create a table access method handler".

Fair point. It is referred to elsewhere [0] in docs as a "script
file", so I've done that.

> Shouldn't "mem_tableam_handler" be "my_tableam_handler"?

Sorry about that, fixed.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/extend-extensions.html

Phil

Вложения

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 3:11 PM Phil Eaton <phil@eatonphil.com> wrote:
> I think this should say something more like "Here is how an extension
> SQL script might create a table access method handler".

Fair point. It is referred to elsewhere [0] in docs as a "script
file", so I've done that.

> Shouldn't "mem_tableam_handler" be "my_tableam_handler"?

Sorry about that, fixed.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/extend-extensions.html

Phil

Nice... LGTM!