Обсуждение: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)

There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
for kids:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372

And it's from MS of all places (!!!).

I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
it's being introduced to kids. ;)

+ Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372

> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Katherine Mcmillan
Дата:
Hi Robert,

How does Oracle support PostgreSQL?

EDB has a "compatibility mode", but that's EDB.  Oracle has produced some documentation for PostgreSQL (ex. https://docs.oracle.com/en/solutions/deploy-postgresql-db/index.html).  You can deploy a PostgreSQL cluster on an Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.  Their "go to" still seems to be MySQL, but perhaps this has changed?

Could you please clarify would you mean by "supports"?

Thank you,
Katie

Attention : courriel externe | external email

I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:
>

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
>
> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

RE: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
M Sarwar
Дата:
I do not.think that Oracle.will ever support Postgress.
Sarwar

Sent from my Galaxy

Attention : courriel externe | external email

I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:
>

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
>
> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Katherine Mcmillan
I really think it depends on what Robert means by "supports", and I'm really curious.

-Katie

Attention : courriel externe | external email

I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:
>

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
>
> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

RE: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
Yes it does ;-)

I do not.think that Oracle.will ever support Postgress.
Sarwar

Sent from my Galaxy

Attention : courriel externe | external email

I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:
>

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
>
> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
M Sarwar
Дата:
I can understand.
Currently  I am  working Postgres on AWS platforms. aws is giving Postgres support without having any of it's own authentication on the Postgres. In my opinion, OCI will give similar type of support if OCI does.
Thanks,
Sarwar

I do not.think that Oracle.will ever support Postgress.
Sarwar

Sent from my Galaxy

Attention : courriel externe | external email

I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:
>

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
>
> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
M Sarwar
Дата:
On this new arrival ( Postgress on OCI), this should be the cheapest approach to deploy Postgres on any Cloud.
I am saying this because OCI claims OCI is the cheapest cloud in the market. But this could be wrong claim as well.

Thanks,
Sarwar

Attention : courriel externe | external email

I suppose it's a sign of the times, considering Oracle now supports PostgreSQL too ;-)

Robert

> On 10/02/2023 12:07 PM PDT Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>

> Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:
>

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
>
> And it's from MS of all places (!!!).
>
> I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
> it's being introduced to kids. ;)
>
> + Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
On 2023-10-03 09:15, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Yes it does ;-)
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/cloud-infrastructure/post/oci-database-postgres

Wow, that's awesome.  Maybe a case of "if you can't beat them, join
them". ;D

+ Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Devrim Gündüz

Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)

There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now. Like, those books
for kids:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372

And it's from MS of all places (!!!).

I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
it's being introduced to kids. ;)

+ Justin

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 06:41:45PM -0400, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> https://twitter.com/DevrimGunduz/status/1201074936200269826
>
> :)

If there are exemplaries of that in the area of Prague, around
December...  I'd love getting one. :D
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2023年10月4日(水) 8:31 Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 06:41:45PM -0400, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> > https://twitter.com/DevrimGunduz/status/1201074936200269826
> >
> > :)
>
> If there are exemplaries of that in the area of Prague, around
> December...  I'd love getting one. :D

You might just be in luck, see:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 02:00:04PM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> You might just be in luck, see:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372

イエイ。
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mer. 4 oct. 2023 à 01:30, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> a écrit :
On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 06:41:45PM -0400, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> https://twitter.com/DevrimGunduz/status/1201074936200269826
>
> :)

If there are exemplaries of that in the area of Prague, around
December...  I'd love getting one. :D

You should ask Claire Giordano (CC-ed). I got one from her at FOSDEM (2022 I guess?). That's when (and where) I discovered these activity books.

--
Guillaume.

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

Дата:
On Wed, Oct  4, 2023 at 01:26:37PM +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le mer. 4 oct. 2023 à 01:30, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> a écrit :
>
>     On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 06:41:45PM -0400, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
>     > https://twitter.com/DevrimGunduz/status/1201074936200269826
>     >
>     > :)
>
>     If there are exemplaries of that in the area of Prague, around
>     December...  I'd love getting one. :D
>

> You should ask Claire Giordano (CC-ed). I got one from her at FOSDEM (2022 I
> guess?). That's when (and where) I discovered these activity books.

I just brought home the new edition from PGConf NYC for my wife.  :-)
She loves it.

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

Дата:
On Mon, Oct  2, 2023 at 03:15:24PM -0700, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Yes it does ;-)
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/cloud-infrastructure/post/oci-database-postgres

My blog entry has more details:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2023.html#September_29_2023

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
On 7/10/23 07:50, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Oct  2, 2023 at 03:15:24PM -0700, Robert Bernier wrote:
>> Yes it does ;-)
>>
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/cloud-infrastructure/post/oci-database-postgres
>
> My blog entry has more details:
>
>     https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2023.html#September_29_2023

I think for some clarity ...

this started with "Oracle now supports PostgreSQL"

So "Oracle the company" does provide support for standard PostgreSQL
software running within an Oracle Cloud instance.

"Oracle the database" does not provide any support as far as
(non-standard) SQL compatibility with PostgreSQL schema designs or
functions/procedures etc

Then in the opposite direction, the EDB version of PostgreSQL does add
some level of SQL and cli support for running PostgreSQL as a
replacement for an Oracle DB backend.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Katherine Mcmillan
Дата:
Hi Shane,

Not to be contrarian, but I think this started without Oracle... all of this.

As far as I can tell, this string started with an awesome post from Justin Clift that didn't have anything to do with Oracle:
"Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)

There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
for kids:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-database-for-postgresql/the-story-behind-the-activity-book-for-postgres/ba-p/3941372
Read the story behind “An Activity Book for Postgres”. What inspired its creation? How can you get your own copy?
techcommunity.microsoft.com

And it's from MS of all places (!!!).

I guess we can say PG truly has a wide audience these days,
it's being introduced to kids. ;)

+ Justin"

-Katie

Attention : courriel externe | external email

On 7/10/23 07:50, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Oct  2, 2023 at 03:15:24PM -0700, Robert Bernier wrote:
>> Yes it does ;-)
>>
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/cloud-infrastructure/post/oci-database-postgres
>
> My blog entry has more details:
>
>       https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2023.html#September_29_2023

I think for some clarity ...

this started with "Oracle now supports PostgreSQL"

So "Oracle the company" does provide support for standard PostgreSQL
software running within an Oracle Cloud instance.

"Oracle the database" does not provide any support as far as
(non-standard) SQL compatibility with PostgreSQL schema designs or
functions/procedures etc

Then in the opposite direction, the EDB version of PostgreSQL does add
some level of SQL and cli support for running PostgreSQL as a
replacement for an Oracle DB backend.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Sat, 2023-10-07 at 10:22 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
> So "Oracle the company" does provide support for standard PostgreSQL
> software running within an Oracle Cloud instance.

I don't know if they porvide support.  Cloud hosting companies are usually
not that interested in providing support.  They want their customers to pay
their monthly dues without generating any extra work for them.

And what I have been told about the development of the quality of Oracle
support in the last decade or so, support by Oracle doesn't sound exactly
appealing (beside the fact that they probably know little about PostgreSQL).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
On 7/10/23 11:47, Katherine Mcmillan wrote:
> Hi Shane,
>
> Not to be contrarian, but I think this started without Oracle... all of this.
>
> As far as I can tell, this string started with an awesome post from Justin Clift that didn't have anything to do with
Oracle:
> "Just stumbled over something I never thought I'd see. ;)
>
> There's a PostgreSQL "Activity Book" now.  Like, those books
> for kids:

Actually I was only referring to this side thread of oracle support that
popped into that initial thread.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
On 7/10/23 23:05, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-10-07 at 10:22 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
>> So "Oracle the company" does provide support for standard PostgreSQL
>> software running within an Oracle Cloud instance.
>
> I don't know if they porvide support.  Cloud hosting companies are usually
> not that interested in providing support.  They want their customers to pay
> their monthly dues without generating any extra work for them.

Well from their product news -
https://blogs.oracle.com/cloud-infrastructure/post/expand-managed-open-source-services-on-oci

"OCI Database with PostgreSQL is a fully managed PostgreSQL database
service ..."

"Fully managed" should mean they keep the system and PostgreSQL running
and you only get to access the server as a client, so they have to
provide some level of support.

> And what I have been told about the development of the quality of Oracle
> support in the last decade or so, support by Oracle doesn't sound exactly
> appealing (beside the fact that they probably know little about PostgreSQL).
No one said their support was good ;) only that they offer it.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz