Обсуждение: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

Plenty tap tests require a background psql. But they're pretty annoying to
use.

I think the biggest improvement would be an easy way to run a single query and
get the result of that query. Manually having to pump_until() is awkward and
often leads to hangs/timeouts, instead of test failures, because one needs to
specify a match pattern to pump_until(), which on mismatch leads to trying to
keep pumping forever.

It's annoyingly hard to wait for the result of a query in a generic way with
background_psql(), and more generally for psql. background_psql() uses -XAtq,
which means that we'll not get "status" output (like "BEGIN" or "(1 row)"),
and that queries not returning anything are completely invisible.

A second annoyance is that issuing a query requires a trailing newline,
otherwise psql won't process it.

The best way I can see is to have a helper that issues the query, followed by
a trailing newline, an \echo with a recognizable separator, and then uses
pump_until() to wait for that separator.

Another area worthy of improvement is that background_psql() requires passing
in many variables externally - without a recognizable benefit afaict. What's
the point in 'stdin', 'stdout', 'timer' being passed in? stdin/stdout need to
point to empty strings, so we know what's needed - in fact we'll even reset
them if they're passed in.  The timer is always going to be
PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::timeout_default, so again, what's the point?

I think it'd be far more usable if we made background_psql() return a hash
with the relevant variables. The 031_recovery_conflict.pl test has:

my $psql_timeout = IPC::Run::timer($PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::timeout_default);
my %psql_standby = ('stdin' => '', 'stdout' => '');
$psql_standby{run} =
  $node_standby->background_psql($test_db, \$psql_standby{stdin},
        \$psql_standby{stdout},
        $psql_timeout);
$psql_standby{stdout} = '';

How about just returning a reference to a hash like that? Except that I'd also
make stderr available, which one can't currently access.

The $psql_standby{stdout} = ''; is needed because background_psql() leaves a
banner in the output, which it shouldn't, but we probably should just fix
that.

Brought to you by: Trying to write a test for vacuum_defer_cleanup_age.

- Andres

Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

Дата:
> It's annoyingly hard to wait for the result of a query in a generic way with
> background_psql(), and more generally for psql. background_psql() uses -XAtq,
> which means that we'll not get "status" output (like "BEGIN" or "(1 row)"),
> and that queries not returning anything are completely invisible.

Yeah, the empty-query-result problem was giving me fits recently.
+1 for wrapping this into something more convenient to use.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2023-01-30 15:06:46 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It's annoyingly hard to wait for the result of a query in a generic way with
> > background_psql(), and more generally for psql. background_psql() uses -XAtq,
> > which means that we'll not get "status" output (like "BEGIN" or "(1 row)"),
> > and that queries not returning anything are completely invisible.
>
> Yeah, the empty-query-result problem was giving me fits recently.
> +1 for wrapping this into something more convenient to use.

I've hacked some on this. I first tried to just introduce a few helper
functions in Cluster.pm, but that ended up being awkward. So I bit the bullet
and introduced a new class (in BackgroundPsql.pm), and made background_psql()
and interactive_psql() return an instance of it.

This is just a rough prototype. Several function names don't seem great, it
need POD documentation, etc.

The main convenience things it has over the old interface:
- $node->background_psql('dbname') is enough
- $psql->query(), which returns the query results as a string, is a lot easier
  to use than having to pump, identify query boundaries via regex etc.
- $psql->query_safe(), which dies if any query fails (detected via stderr)
- $psql->query_until() is a helper that makes it a bit easier to start queries
  that won't finish until a later point

I don't quite like the new interface yet:
- It's somewhat common to want to know if there was a failure, but also get
  the query result, not sure what the best function signature for that is in
  perl.
- query_until() sounds a bit too much like $node->poll_query_until(). Maybe
  query_wait_until() is better? OTOH, the other function has poll in the name,
  so maybe it's ok.
- right now there's a bit too much logic in background_psql() /
  interactive_psql() for my taste

Those points aside, I think it already makes the tests a good bit more
readable. My WIP vacuum_defer_cleanup_age patch shrunk by half with it.

I think with a bit more polish it's easy enough to use that we could avoid a
good number of those one-off psql's that we do all over.

I didn't really know what this, insrc/test/subscription/t/015_stream.pl, is
about:

$h->finish;    # errors make the next test fail, so ignore them here

There's no further test?

I'm somewhat surprised it doesn't cause problems in another ->finish later on,
where we then afterwards just use $h again. Apparently IPC::Run just
automagically restarts psql?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Вложения

Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 31 Jan 2023, at 01:00, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> I've hacked some on this. I first tried to just introduce a few helper
> functions in Cluster.pm, but that ended up being awkward. So I bit the bullet
> and introduced a new class (in BackgroundPsql.pm), and made background_psql()
> and interactive_psql() return an instance of it.

Thanks for working on this!

> This is just a rough prototype. Several function names don't seem great, it
> need POD documentation, etc.

It might be rough around the edges but I don't think it's too far off a state
in which in can be committed, given that it's replacing something even rougher.
With documentation and some polish I think we can iterate on it in the tree.

I've played around a lot with it and it seems fairly robust.

> I don't quite like the new interface yet:
> - It's somewhat common to want to know if there was a failure, but also get
>  the query result, not sure what the best function signature for that is in
>  perl.

What if query() returns a list with the return value last?  The caller will get
the return value when assigning a single var as the return, and can get both in
those cases when it's interesting.  That would make for reasonably readable
code in most places?

   $ret_val = $h->query("SELECT 1;");
   ($query_result, $ret_val) = $h->query("SELECT 1;");

Returning a hash seems like a worse option since it will complicate callsites
which only want to know success/failure.

> - query_until() sounds a bit too much like $node->poll_query_until(). Maybe
>  query_wait_until() is better? OTOH, the other function has poll in the name,
>  so maybe it's ok.

query_until isn't great but query_wait_until is IMO worse since the function
may well be used for tests which aren't using longrunning waits.  It's also
very useful for things which aren't queries at all, like psql backslash
commands.  I don't have any better ideas though, so +1 for sticking with
query_until.

> - right now there's a bit too much logic in background_psql() /
>  interactive_psql() for my taste

Not sure what you mean, I don't think they're especially heavy on logic?

> Those points aside, I think it already makes the tests a good bit more
> readable. My WIP vacuum_defer_cleanup_age patch shrunk by half with it.

The test for \password in the SCRAM iteration count patch shrunk to 1/3 of the
previous coding.

> I think with a bit more polish it's easy enough to use that we could avoid a
> good number of those one-off psql's that we do all over.

Agreed, and ideally implement tests which were left unwritten due to the old
API being clunky.

+       # feed the query to psql's stdin, follwed by \n (so psql processes the

s/follwed/followed/

+A default timeout of $PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::timeout_default is set up,
+which can modified later.

This require a bit of knowledge about the internals which I think we should
hide in this new API.  How about providing a function for defining the timeout?

Re timeouts: one thing I've done repeatedly is to use short timeouts and reset
them per query, and that turns pretty ugly fast.  I hacked up your patch to
provide $h->reset_timer_before_query() which then injects a {timeout}->start
before running each query without the caller having to do it.  Not sure if I'm
alone in doing that but if not I think it makes sense to add.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2023-03-14 21:24:32 +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 31 Jan 2023, at 01:00, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
> > I've hacked some on this. I first tried to just introduce a few helper
> > functions in Cluster.pm, but that ended up being awkward. So I bit the bullet
> > and introduced a new class (in BackgroundPsql.pm), and made background_psql()
> > and interactive_psql() return an instance of it.
>
> Thanks for working on this!

Thanks for helping it move along :)

> > This is just a rough prototype. Several function names don't seem great, it
> > need POD documentation, etc.
>
> It might be rough around the edges but I don't think it's too far off a state
> in which in can be committed, given that it's replacing something even rougher.
> With documentation and some polish I think we can iterate on it in the tree.

Cool.

> > I don't quite like the new interface yet:
> > - It's somewhat common to want to know if there was a failure, but also get
> >  the query result, not sure what the best function signature for that is in
> >  perl.
>
> What if query() returns a list with the return value last?  The caller will get
> the return value when assigning a single var as the return, and can get both in
> those cases when it's interesting.  That would make for reasonably readable
> code in most places?

>    $ret_val = $h->query("SELECT 1;");
>    ($query_result, $ret_val) = $h->query("SELECT 1;");

I hate perl.

> Returning a hash seems like a worse option since it will complicate callsites
> which only want to know success/failure.

Yea. Perhaps it's worth having a separate function for this? ->query_rc() or such?

> > - right now there's a bit too much logic in background_psql() /
> >  interactive_psql() for my taste
>
> Not sure what you mean, I don't think they're especially heavy on logic?

-EMISSINGWORD on my part. A bit too much duplicated logic.

> +A default timeout of $PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::timeout_default is set up,
> +which can modified later.
>
> This require a bit of knowledge about the internals which I think we should
> hide in this new API.  How about providing a function for defining the timeout?

"definining" in the sense of accessing it? Or passing one in?

> Re timeouts: one thing I've done repeatedly is to use short timeouts and reset
> them per query, and that turns pretty ugly fast.  I hacked up your patch to
> provide $h->reset_timer_before_query() which then injects a {timeout}->start
> before running each query without the caller having to do it.  Not sure if I'm
> alone in doing that but if not I think it makes sense to add.

I don't quite understand the use case, but I don't mind it as a functionality.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От
Andrew Dunstan

It's annoyingly hard to wait for the result of a query in a generic way with
background_psql(), and more generally for psql. background_psql() uses -XAtq,
which means that we'll not get "status" output (like "BEGIN" or "(1 row)"),
and that queries not returning anything are completely invisible.
Yeah, the empty-query-result problem was giving me fits recently.
+1 for wrapping this into something more convenient to use.
I've hacked some on this. I first tried to just introduce a few helper
functions in Cluster.pm, but that ended up being awkward. So I bit the bullet
and introduced a new class (in BackgroundPsql.pm), and made background_psql()
and interactive_psql() return an instance of it.

This is just a rough prototype. Several function names don't seem great, it
need POD documentation, etc.

Since this class is only intended to have instances created from Cluster, I would be inclined just to put it at the end of Cluster.pm instead of creating a new file. That makes it clearer that the new package is not standalone. We already have instances of that.

The first param of the constructor is a bit opaque. If it were going to be called from elsewhere I'd want something a bit more obvious, but I guess we can live with it here. An alternative might be multiple_constructors (e.g. new_background, new_interactive) which use a common private routine.

Don't have comments yet on the other things, will continue looking.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 15 Mar 2023, at 02:03, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> Returning a hash seems like a worse option since it will complicate callsites
>> which only want to know success/failure.
>
> Yea. Perhaps it's worth having a separate function for this? ->query_rc() or such?

If we are returning a hash then I agree it should be a separate function.
Maybe Andrew has input on which is the most Perl way of doing this.

>>> - right now there's a bit too much logic in background_psql() /
>>> interactive_psql() for my taste
>>
>> Not sure what you mean, I don't think they're especially heavy on logic?
>
> -EMISSINGWORD on my part. A bit too much duplicated logic.

That makes more sense, and I can kind of agree.  I don't think it's too bad but
I agree there is room for improvement.

>> +A default timeout of $PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::timeout_default is set up,
>> +which can modified later.
>>
>> This require a bit of knowledge about the internals which I think we should
>> hide in this new API.  How about providing a function for defining the timeout?
>
> "definining" in the sense of accessing it? Or passing one in?

I meant passing one in.

>> Re timeouts: one thing I've done repeatedly is to use short timeouts and reset
>> them per query, and that turns pretty ugly fast.  I hacked up your patch to
>> provide $h->reset_timer_before_query() which then injects a {timeout}->start
>> before running each query without the caller having to do it.  Not sure if I'm
>> alone in doing that but if not I think it makes sense to add.
>
> I don't quite understand the use case, but I don't mind it as a functionality.

I've used it a lot when I want to run n command which each should finish
quickly or not at all.  So one time budget per command rather than having a
longer timeout for a set of commands that comprise a test.  It can be done
already today by calling ->start but it doesn't exactly make the code cleaner.

As mentioned off-list I did some small POD additions when reviewing, so I've
attached them here in a v2 in the hopes that it might be helpful.  I've also
included the above POC for restarting the timeout per query to show what I
meant.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Вложения