Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-07 Fr 19:14, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
On 8 Apr 2023, at 00:59, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

On 8 Apr 2023, at 00:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
On 7 Apr 2023, at 23:01, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
Staring at this I've been unable to figure out if there an underlying problem
here or a flaky testrun, since I can't reproduce it.  Maybe the animal owner
(on cc) have any insights?
The test has passed on several different platforms in the buildfarm, including
Linux, Solaris, macOS, NetBSD, FreeBSD and other OpenBSD animals.  It also
passed in an OpenBSD VM running with our Cirrus framework.
prion and mantid have now failed with the same symptom.  I don't
see a pattern, but it's not OpenBSD-only.  It will be interesting
to see if the failure is intermittent or not on those animals.
morepork has failed again, which is good, since intermittent failures are
harder to track down.

It would be interesting to know how far in the pumped input they get, if they
time out on the first one with nothing going through?  Will investigate further
tomorrow to see.
Actually, one quick datapoint.  prion and mantid report running IPC::Run
version 0.92, and morepork 0.96.  Animals that pass are running 20180523.0,
20200505.0, 20220807.0 or similar versions.  We don't print the IO::Pty version
during configure, but maybe this is related to older versions of the modules
and this test (not all of them apparently) need to SKIP if IO::Pty is missing
or too old?  Somewhere to start looking at the very least.

Those aren't CPAN version numbers. See <https://metacpan.org/pod/IO::Pty>

prion was running 1.10 (dated to 2010). I have just updated it to 1.17 (the CPAN latest). We'll see if that makes a difference.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan