Обсуждение: v14 mechanical code beautification patches

v14 mechanical code beautification patches

Дата:
It's getting to be time to think about these steps for v14:

* Renumber any manually-assigned OIDs between 8000 and 9999
  to lower numbers, using renumber_oids.pl (see notes in bki.sgml)

* pgindent, perltidy, reformat-dat-files

* Update config.guess and config.sub
  (from https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/config)

* Update Unicode data: Edit UNICODE_VERSION and CLDR_VERSION in
  src/Makefile.global.in, run make update-unicode, and commit.

It looks like Peter already took care of the last two.  Barring
objections, I'll plan to do the first two next Wednesday or so
(after the back-branch-release dust has settled).

I notice that we also list this as a pre-beta task in
src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES:

* Update inet/cidr data types with newest Bind patches

However, I can't recall that anyone has ever done any such thing;
and at this point, any attempt to re-sync that code would likely
be a rather major task.  Should we take that off the checklist?

            regards, tom lane

Re: v14 mechanical code beautification patches

Дата:
On Wed, May  5, 2021 at 02:18:04PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I notice that we also list this as a pre-beta task in
> src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES:
>
> * Update inet/cidr data types with newest Bind patches
>
> However, I can't recall that anyone has ever done any such thing;
> and at this point, any attempt to re-sync that code would likely
> be a rather major task.  Should we take that off the checklist?

I think it is related to these files:

    src/backend/utils/adt/inet_cidr_ntop.c
    src/backend/utils/adt/inet_net_pton.c

which have at the top:

 * Copyright (c) 2004 by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC")
 * Copyright (c) 1996,1999 by Internet Software Consortium.

but I am not sure we still need to update those, so I would remove it.

Re: v14 mechanical code beautification patches

Дата:
> On Wed, May  5, 2021 at 02:18:04PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I notice that we also list this as a pre-beta task in
>> src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES:
>>     * Update inet/cidr data types with newest Bind patches
>> However, I can't recall that anyone has ever done any such thing;
>> and at this point, any attempt to re-sync that code would likely
>> be a rather major task.  Should we take that off the checklist?

> I think it is related to these files:
>     src/backend/utils/adt/inet_cidr_ntop.c
>     src/backend/utils/adt/inet_net_pton.c
> which have at the top:
>  * Copyright (c) 2004 by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC")
>  * Copyright (c) 1996,1999 by Internet Software Consortium.
> but I am not sure we still need to update those, so I would remove it.

I dug in the archives and found the thread that prompted you to
add that bullet item:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/200502021700.j12H05j20872%40candle.pha.pa.us

which made the point that those were moving targets back in 2005.
I doubt they still are, so I don't see much point in keeping this
in the checklist.

(There may or may not be value in doing a one-time check to see
if we've missed anything.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: v14 mechanical code beautification patches

Дата:
On Wed, May  5, 2021 at 07:08:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think it is related to these files:
> >     src/backend/utils/adt/inet_cidr_ntop.c
> >     src/backend/utils/adt/inet_net_pton.c
> > which have at the top:
> >  * Copyright (c) 2004 by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC")
> >  * Copyright (c) 1996,1999 by Internet Software Consortium.
> > but I am not sure we still need to update those, so I would remove it.
>
> I dug in the archives and found the thread that prompted you to
> add that bullet item:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/200502021700.j12H05j20872%40candle.pha.pa.us
>
> which made the point that those were moving targets back in 2005.
> I doubt they still are, so I don't see much point in keeping this
> in the checklist.
>
> (There may or may not be value in doing a one-time check to see
> if we've missed anything.)

Thanks.

I wrote:
> I dug in the archives and found the thread that prompted you to
> add that bullet item:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/200502021700.j12H05j20872%40candle.pha.pa.us
> which made the point that those were moving targets back in 2005.
> I doubt they still are, so I don't see much point in keeping this
> in the checklist.
> (There may or may not be value in doing a one-time check to see
> if we've missed anything.)

I located the "current" versions of those files in libbind 6.0.
(I put "current" in quotes because the file dates seem to be
2005-2008, so indeed development came to a stop a long time ago.)

They are *very* different from what we have, though.  Some of it
is visibly cosmetic, but other parts have been rewritten quite a bit,
so it's hard to tell if the functionality is identical.

In the absence of a reason to think we have bugs that we need to
fix, I'm not sure it's worth analyzing the differences in detail.
I definitely wouldn't just adopt all the diffs blindly.

In any case, that RELEASE_CHANGES item is clearly a dead letter
now, so I'll go remove it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: v14 mechanical code beautification patches

Дата:
On Wed, May  5, 2021 at 10:45:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I located the "current" versions of those files in libbind 6.0.
> (I put "current" in quotes because the file dates seem to be
> 2005-2008, so indeed development came to a stop a long time ago.)
>
> They are *very* different from what we have, though.  Some of it
> is visibly cosmetic, but other parts have been rewritten quite a bit,
> so it's hard to tell if the functionality is identical.
>
> In the absence of a reason to think we have bugs that we need to
> fix, I'm not sure it's worth analyzing the differences in detail.
> I definitely wouldn't just adopt all the diffs blindly.
>
> In any case, that RELEASE_CHANGES item is clearly a dead letter
> now, so I'll go remove it.

OK, thanks for checking.  I think there was some concern about IPv6
changes at the time we adopted this.