Обсуждение: snapper vs. HEAD

snapper vs. HEAD

Дата:
Buildfarm member snapper has been crashing in the core regression tests
since commit 17a28b0364 (well, there's a bit of a range of uncertainty
there, but 17a28b0364 looks to be the only such commit that could have
affected code in gistget.c where the crash is).  Curiously, its sibling
skate is *not* failing, despite being on the same machine and compiler.

I looked into this by dint of setting up a similar environment in a
qemu VM.  I might not have reproduced things exactly, but I managed
to get the same kind of crash at approximately the same place, and
what it looks like to me is a compiler bug.  It's iterating
gistindex_keytest's loop over search keys

    ScanKey     key = scan->keyData;
    int         keySize = scan->numberOfKeys;

    while (keySize > 0)
    {
        key++;
        keySize--;
    }

one time too many, and accessing a garbage ScanKey value off the end of
the keyData array, leading to a function call into never-never land.

I'm no expert on Sparc assembly code, but it looks like the compiler
forgot the ",a" (annul) modifier here:

    .loc 1 181 0
    andcc    %o7, 64, %g0
    be,pt    %icc, .L134         <----
     addcc    %l5, -1, %l5
    .loc 1 183 0
    lduh    [%i4+16], %o7
    add    %i4, %o7, %o7
    lduh    [%o7+12], %o7
    andcc    %o7, 1, %g0
    bne,pt    %icc, .L141
     ld    [%fp-32], %g2
    .loc 1 163 0
    ba,pt    %xcc, .L134
     addcc    %l5, -1, %l5

causing %l5 (which contains the keySize value) to be decremented
an extra time in the case where that branch is not taken and
we fall through as far as the "ba" at the end.  Even that would
not be fatal, perhaps, except that the compiler also decided to
optimize the "keySize > 0" test to "keySize != 0", for ghod only
knows what reason (surely it's not any faster on a RISC machine),
so that arriving at .L134 with %l5 containing -1 allows the loop
to be iterated again.  Kaboom.

It's unclear how 17a28b0364 would have affected this, but there is
an elog() call elsewhere in the same function, so maybe the new
coding for that changed register assignments or some other
phase-of-the-moon effect.

I doubt that anyone's going to take much interest in fixing this
old compiler version, so my recommendation is to back off the
optimization level on snapper to -O1, and probably on skate as
well because there's no obvious reason why the same compiler bug
might not bite skate at some point.  I was able to get through
the core regression tests on my qemu VM after recompiling
gistget.c at -O1 (with other flags the same as snapper is using).

            regards, tom lane

Re: snapper vs. HEAD

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2020-03-28 23:50:32 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Buildfarm member snapper has been crashing in the core regression tests
> since commit 17a28b0364 (well, there's a bit of a range of uncertainty
> there, but 17a28b0364 looks to be the only such commit that could have
> affected code in gistget.c where the crash is).  Curiously, its sibling
> skate is *not* failing, despite being on the same machine and compiler.

Hm. There's some difference in code-gen specific options.

snapper has:
'CFLAGS' => '-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security ',
'CPPFLAGS' => '-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2',
'LDFLAGS' => '-Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now'
and specifies (among others)
                                      '--enable-thread-safety',
                                      '--with-gnu-ld',
whereas skate has --enable-cassert.

Not too hard to imagine that several of these could cause enough
code-gen differences so that one exhibits the bug, and the other
doesn't.

The different commandlines for gistget end up being:

snapper:
ccache gcc-4.7 -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Werror=vla
-Wendif-labels-Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -g
-g-O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security  -I../../../../src/include
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2-D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/libxml2  -I/usr/include/mit-krb5  -c -o gistget.o gistget.c

skate:
ccache gcc-4.7 -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Werror=vla
-Wendif-labels-Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard -g
-O2-I../../../../src/include  -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/libxml2   -c -o gistget.o gistget.c

> I looked into this by dint of setting up a similar environment in a
> qemu VM.  I might not have reproduced things exactly, but I managed
> to get the same kind of crash at approximately the same place, and
> what it looks like to me is a compiler bug.

What options were you using? Reproducing snapper as exactly as possible?

> It's unclear how 17a28b0364 would have affected this, but there is
> an elog() call elsewhere in the same function, so maybe the new
> coding for that changed register assignments or some other
> phase-of-the-moon effect.

Yea, wouldn't be too surprising.

> I doubt that anyone's going to take much interest in fixing this
> old compiler version, so my recommendation is to back off the
> optimization level on snapper to -O1, and probably on skate as
> well because there's no obvious reason why the same compiler bug
> might not bite skate at some point.  I was able to get through
> the core regression tests on my qemu VM after recompiling
> gistget.c at -O1 (with other flags the same as snapper is using).

If you still have the environment it might make sense to check wether
it's related to one of the other options. But otherwise I wouldn't be
against the proposal.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: snapper vs. HEAD

Дата:
> On 2020-03-28 23:50:32 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... Curiously, its sibling
>> skate is *not* failing, despite being on the same machine and compiler.

> Hm. There's some difference in code-gen specific options.

Yeah, I confirmed that on my VM install too: using our typical codegen
options (just -O2 -g), the regression tests pass, matching skate's
results.  It fell over after I matched snapper's CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS,
and LDFLAGS.  I didn't try to break things down more finely as to
which option(s) trigger the bad code, since it looks like it's probably
some purely-internal compiler state ...

> What options were you using? Reproducing snapper as exactly as possible?

Yeah, see above.

> If you still have the environment it might make sense to check wether
> it's related to one of the other options. But otherwise I wouldn't be
> against the proposal.

I could, but it's mighty slow, so I don't especially want to try all 2^N
combinations.  Do you have any specific cases in mind?

(I guess we can exclude LDFLAGS, since the assembly output is visibly
bad.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: snapper vs. HEAD

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2020-03-29 20:25:32 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > If you still have the environment it might make sense to check wether
> > it's related to one of the other options. But otherwise I wouldn't be
> > against the proposal.
>
> I could, but it's mighty slow, so I don't especially want to try all 2^N
> combinations.  Do you have any specific cases in mind?

I'd be most suspicious of -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
and -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2. The first two have direct codegen implications,
the latter can lead to quite different headers being included and adds a
lot of size tracking to the optimizer.

> (I guess we can exclude LDFLAGS, since the assembly output is visibly
> bad.)

Seems likely.

Is it visibly bad when looking at the .s of gistget.c "directly", or
when disassembling the fiinal binary? Because I've seen linkers screw up
on a larger scale than I'd have expected in the past.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: snapper vs. HEAD

Дата:
> Is it visibly bad when looking at the .s of gistget.c "directly", or
> when disassembling the fiinal binary? Because I've seen linkers screw up
> on a larger scale than I'd have expected in the past.

Yes, the bogus asm that I showed was from gistget.s, not from
disassembling.

            regards, tom lane

Re: snapper vs. HEAD

Дата:
> On 2020-03-29 20:25:32 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I could, but it's mighty slow, so I don't especially want to try all 2^N
>> combinations.  Do you have any specific cases in mind?

> I'd be most suspicious of -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
> and -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2. The first two have direct codegen implications,
> the latter can lead to quite different headers being included and adds a
> lot of size tracking to the optimizer.

It occurred to me that just recompiling gistget.c, rather than the whole
backend, would be enough to prove the point.  So after a few trials:

* Removing "-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4" does nothing;
the generated .o file is bitwise the same.

* Removing -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 does change the bits, but it still
crashes.

So that eliminates all of snapper's special compile options :-(.
I'm forced to the conclusion that the important difference between
snapper and skate is that the latter uses --enable-cassert and the
former doesn't, because that's the only remaining difference between
how I built a working version before and the not-working version
I have right now.  Which means that this really is pretty much a
phase-of-the-moon compiler bug, and we've just been very lucky
that we haven't tripped over it before.

            regards, tom lane

Re: snapper vs. HEAD

I wrote:
> I'm forced to the conclusion that the important difference between
> snapper and skate is that the latter uses --enable-cassert and the
> former doesn't, because that's the only remaining difference between
> how I built a working version before and the not-working version
> I have right now.

Confirmed: building gistget with --enable-cassert, and all of snapper's
compile/link options, produces something that passes regression.

The generated asm differs in a whole lot of details, but it looks like
the compiler remembers to annul the branch delay slot in all the
relevant places:

    .loc 1 163 0
    addcc    %l7, -1, %l7
.L186: