Обсуждение: Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error

Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error

От
"Stijn Vanroye"
Дата:
Hello everybody,

/*background info*/
I'm using Postgres for quite a while now from a programming and dba point of view, but I'm quite the noob if it comes
toLinux. I stumbled upon coLinux and wanted to give it a try. The point is setting up a quick "test-and-mess-around"
database,so I can leave the operational server allone when I'm messing about. It seems convenient since you can start
thewhole thing in no time, on your windows box, wich gives you a "cheap" and independent testserver.
/*end of background info*/

The facts:
- coLinux 0.6 with the Debian 3.0r0 ext3 1GB image on a winXP Pro box
- postgresql 7.4.2
- GNU make version 3.79.1 (gotten with apt-get install make)

The problem:
If succesfully downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file (hurray), but am stuck in the first (*sic*) step of the actual
installationprocess. When I run ./configure (without any extra parameters), I get the error "C compiler cannot create
executables"when configure is checking for C compiler default output.
I am running configure as root (tried with another user, but then I got an error regarding insufficient rights on a
config.logfile or something).

I have already browsed the mailinglist archives, but I have only found the problem a few times, but not the solution.
Themanual doesn't help either. Since I don't even know what the problem means, or where it comes from, I cant find a
solution.Any tips or pointers?

Kind regards,

Stijn Vanroye

Re: Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error

Дата:
"Stijn Vanroye" <s.vanroye@farcourier.com> writes:
> If succesfully downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file (hurray), but am stuck in the first (*sic*) step of the
actualinstallation process. When I run ./configure (without any extra parameters), I get the error "C compiler cannot
createexecutables" when configure is checking for C compiler default output.

configure doesn't print many details on the terminal.  Look in
config.log to see the actual error messages; they may be more
informative.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error

От
"Stijn Vanroye"
Дата:
> "Stijn Vanroye" <s.vanroye@farcourier.com> writes:
> > If succesfully downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file
> (hurray), but am stuck in the first (*sic*) step of the
> actual installation process. When I run ./configure (without
> any extra parameters), I get the error "C compiler cannot
> create executables" when configure is checking for C compiler
> default output.
>
> configure doesn't print many details on the terminal.  Look in
> config.log to see the actual error messages; they may be more
> informative.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Indeed, it seems that I'm missing a file crt1.o in /usr/bin/ld.
Thanks for the tip. I suspect that gcc didn't fully install or
something like that. (But then again I'm very new to Linux)
It also could be that coLinux isn't officialy released as stable
(www.colinux.org), and that the offered images aren't that
complete. Therefore I'm not going deeper into the matter.

I did managed to find a workaround by using apt-get and a backport
to obtain version 7.4.1. (Thanks go to Collin for the tips)

I would like to conclude by giving my compliments to the Postgres
development team.

Regards,

Stijn Vanroye