Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error

От Stijn Vanroye
Тема Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello everybody,

/*background info*/
I'm using Postgres for quite a while now from a programming and dba point of view, but I'm quite the noob if it comes
toLinux. I stumbled upon coLinux and wanted to give it a try. The point is setting up a quick "test-and-mess-around"
database,so I can leave the operational server allone when I'm messing about. It seems convenient since you can start
thewhole thing in no time, on your windows box, wich gives you a "cheap" and independent testserver.
/*end of background info*/

The facts:
- coLinux 0.6 with the Debian 3.0r0 ext3 1GB image on a winXP Pro box
- postgresql 7.4.2
- GNU make version 3.79.1 (gotten with apt-get install make)

The problem:
If succesfully downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file (hurray), but am stuck in the first (*sic*) step of the actual
installationprocess. When I run ./configure (without any extra parameters), I get the error "C compiler cannot create
executables"when configure is checking for C compiler default output.
I am running configure as root (tried with another user, but then I got an error regarding insufficient rights on a
config.logfile or something).

I have already browsed the mailinglist archives, but I have only found the problem a few times, but not the solution.
Themanual doesn't help either. Since I don't even know what the problem means, or where it comes from, I cant find a
solution.Any tips or pointers?

Kind regards,

Stijn Vanroye