Обсуждение: ODBC 6.3.2

ODBC 6.3.2

От
David Hartwig
Дата:
Marc,

I think I just figured out why you were so concerned about the Makefile
and the README.   I looked through the latest snapshot (Apr 15) and
noticed that the ODBC self-extracting EXE binary was not present.  (It
was nice to see the source!)  :)   Is it your intentions to not include
this as part of the distribution?   Are there tactical problems with
including the binary?

This is a critical part of the package.   It installs the driver, the
Windows ODBC driver manager, and makes numerous entries in the Windows
registry.   Without it each site would have to have MS Visual C++ 4.0+
to compile. $$$   They may also need the driver manager which comes with
the ODBC driver kit and some windows applications.   Then they would
have to make hacks in the Windows registry on each desktop by hand.
Yikes!  (check that spelling)

It is worth noting that the binary is about 2.5 meg.  (This light weight
for Windows.)  Should this be available as a separate download from the
PostgreSQL site?   Or should PostgreSQL page just point to our site.

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
Quoting David Hartwig (daveh@insightdist.com):
> Marc,
>
> I think I just figured out why you were so concerned about the Makefile
> and the README.   I looked through the latest snapshot (Apr 15) and
> noticed that the ODBC self-extracting EXE binary was not present.  (It
> was nice to see the source!)  :)   Is it your intentions to not include
> this as part of the distribution?   Are there tactical problems with
> including the binary?

    David did you ever upgrade the install?  I did get the newer
InstallShield to work.  I also bundled it with ODBC 3.1...

Julie

--
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
David Hartwig
Дата:
Julia A.Case wrote:

> Quoting David Hartwig (daveh@insightdist.com):
> > Marc,
> >
> > I think I just figured out why you were so concerned about the Makefile
> > and the README.   I looked through the latest snapshot (Apr 15) and
> > noticed that the ODBC self-extracting EXE binary was not present.  (It
> > was nice to see the source!)  :)   Is it your intentions to not include
> > this as part of the distribution?   Are there tactical problems with
> > including the binary?
> >
>         David did you ever upgrade the install?  I did get the newer
> InstallShield to work.  I also bundled it with ODBC 3.1...

Julie, I have attached the latest RUL file for creating the InstallShield
executable.   I'm not sure if it is different from what you have.

Marc, I overlooked this file it should be included in the source.  Oops
Also the binary file is only 1.2 meg not 2.5 meg. Oops again.

/*
#    Insight Distribution Systems - System V - Oct 1997
#ident    "@(#)setup.rul    1.3 :/sccs/sql/odbc/s.setup.rul 11/13/97 12:18:11"
*/

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
 *
 *   PostgreSQL ODBC Driver Installation Script for InstallShield
 *
\*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#define APP_NAME                "PostgreSQL ODBC Driver"
#define DRIVER_NAME             "PostgreSQL"
#define DRIVER_FILE             "PODBC32.DLL"

#define COMPANY_NAME            "Insight"
#define PRODUCT_NAME            "PostgreSQL ODBC Driver"
#define PRODUCT_VERSION         "6.2"
#define PRODUCT_KEY             "PODBC32.DLL"
#define UNINSTALL_KEY           "PODBC32v6.2"

#define ODBC_DM_KEY      "\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\SharedDLLs"
#define ODBC_COMP_KEY    "\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI"
#define ODBC_CORE_KEY    "\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI\\ODBC Core"
#define ODBC_DRIVERS_KEY "\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI\\ODBC Drivers"

declare
        // functions
        prototype SetupScreen();
        prototype FileCompare(STRING, STRING, STRING, STRING);

        // variables
        STRING svMainDirectory [_MAX_STRING], svGrp, svUninstLogFile, svPath;
        STRING svValue, szName, szKey, szMessage;
        STRING szMsg, szTmp, szTmp2, szFileSet, szProgram;
        NUMBER nResult, nvType, nvSize, nStartup, ComponentUsageCount;

        NUMBER nvDoNot, nvVersion, nvInstall, nCore, nDM;
        STRING dm, core, szFileName;
        NUMBER options, nvInfo, nvResult;
        LONG lResult;
        STRING svCompVersion, svFileVersion, svCompDate, svCompTime, svFileDate, svFileTime;

program

StartHere:
        Disable( BACKGROUND );

        // Set up the installation screen.
        SetupScreen();
        InstallationInfo(COMPANY_NAME, PRODUCT_NAME, PRODUCT_VERSION, PRODUCT_KEY);
        RegDBSetAppInfo("Location", REGDB_STRING, WINSYSDIR ^ DRIVER_FILE, -1);

// Create a Welcome dialog.
WelcomeDlg:
        Disable( BACKBUTTON );
        Welcome( "Welcome to the PostgreSQL Odbc Driver Installation", 0 );
        Enable( BACKBUTTON );
        Enable( NEXTBUTTON );

GetTargetDirectory:
        svMainDirectory = WINSYSDIR;

OptionsDlg:
        RegDBSetDefaultRoot(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);
        szKey = ODBC_DM_KEY;
        nCore = RegDBKeyExist(szKey);

        szName = WINSYSDIR ^ "ODBC32.DLL";
        nDM = RegDBGetKeyValueEx(szKey, szName, nvType, svValue, nvSize);

        szMessage = "Select options for installing the ODBC Driver Manager.\n" +
                "Analysis of your system suggests that the ODBC Driver Manager\n";

        nvDoNot = FALSE;
        nvInstall = FALSE;
        nvVersion = FALSE;
        if (nCore >= 0 && nDM >= 0) then
                nvDoNot = TRUE;
                szMessage = szMessage + "is already installed.  Therefore, you may choose not to install it.";
        else
                nvInstall = TRUE;
                szMessage = szMessage + "is not installed.  Therefore, you should install it now.";
        endif;

        Enable(FINISHBUTTON);
        nResult = AskOptions(EXCLUSIVE, szMessage,
                 "Do not install Driver Manager", nvDoNot,
                 "Install Driver Manager ", nvInstall,
                 "Install Driver Manager (with version checking)", nvVersion);

        if (nResult = BACK) then
                Disable(FINISHBUTTON);
                goto WelcomeDlg;
        endif;

Version:
        CompressInfo("driver.z", DRIVER_FILE, COMP_INFO_VERSIONMS|COMP_INFO_VERSIONLS, nvInfo, svCompVersion);

        szFileName = WINSYSDIR ^ "PODBC32.DLL";
        nResult = VerGetFileVersion(szFileName, svFileVersion);
        // MessageBox("System file PODBC32.dll version is " + svFileVersion, INFORMATION);

        lResult = VerCompare(svCompVersion, svFileVersion, VERSION);

        if (lResult = EQUALS) then
                //date
                CompressInfo("driver.z", DRIVER_FILE, COMP_INFO_DATE, nvInfo, svCompDate);
                GetFileInfo(szFileName, FILE_DATE, nvResult, svFileDate);

                //time
                CompressInfo("driver.z", DRIVER_FILE, COMP_INFO_TIME, nvInfo, svCompTime);
                GetFileInfo(szFileName, FILE_TIME, nvResult, svFileTime);

                // If compressed file date/time is earlier than system file date/time
                // then
                nResult = FileCompare(svCompDate, svCompTime, svFileDate, svFileTime);
                if (nResult < 0) then
                        lResult = LESS_THAN;
                endif;

                NumToStr(szTmp, nResult);
                // MessageBox("File Compare = " + szTmp, INFORMATION);
        endif;

        if (lResult = LESS_THAN) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                nResult = AskYesNo("The " + PRODUCT_NAME + " is already installed on your system \nand is a newer
versionthan the one that is about to be installed.\n\n" +
                        "Would you like to continue the installation anyway (not recommended)?", NO);
                if (nResult = NO) then
                        MessageBeep(0);
                        MessageBox("Installation has been aborted.\nNo changes have been made to your system.",
WARNING);
                        exit;
                endif;
        else
        /*
                nResult = AskYesNo("Ready to install " + PRODUCT_NAME + ".\n\nPress Yes to proceed with the
installation.\nPressNo to abort the installation.", YES);
                if (nResult = NO) then
                        MessageBeep(0);
                        MessageBox("Installation has been aborted.\nNo changes have been made to your system.",
WARNING);
                        exit;
                endif;
        */
        endif;

CheckRegistry:
        Enable(STATUSDLG);

        SetStatusWindow(5, "Checking registry entries...");
        Delay(1);

        RegDBSetDefaultRoot(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);
        szKey = ODBC_DM_KEY;
        nResult = RegDBKeyExist(szKey);
        if (nResult < 0 && nvDoNot = TRUE) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("ODBC Core Components are not installed!", SEVERE);
                Disable(STATUSDLG);
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Please install the ODBC Core Components\nand rerun this setup program.", INFORMATION);
                exit;
        endif;

        szName = WINSYSDIR ^ "ODBC32.DLL";
        nResult = RegDBGetKeyValueEx(szKey, szName, nvType, svValue, nvSize);
        if (nResult < 0 && nvDoNot = TRUE) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("ODBC Driver Manager (ODBC32.DLL) is not installed!", SEVERE);
                Disable(STATUSDLG);
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Please install the ODBC Driver Manager\nand rerun this setup program.", INFORMATION);
                exit;
        endif;

FileSetup:

        SetStatusWindow( 10, "Copying program files...");
        StatusUpdate(ON, 90);

        DeinstallStart(svMainDirectory, svUninstLogFile, UNINSTALL_KEY, 0);

        //      Show the uninstall under Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
        RegDBSetItem(REGDB_UNINSTALL_NAME, PRODUCT_NAME);

        szFileSet = "podbc32";

        TARGETDIR = svMainDirectory;    // winsys

        FileSetBeginDefine(szFileSet);

        nResult = CompressGet("driver.z", "*.*", COMP_NORMAL);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                NumToStr(szTmp, nResult);
                MessageBox("Compress Get Error on driver.z files.\n\nError # " + szTmp, SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        TARGETDIR = svMainDirectory;    // winsys

        //      Driver Manager stuff
        if (! nvDoNot) then
                if (nvVersion) then
                        options = COMP_UPDATE_VERSION;
                else
                        options = COMP_NORMAL;
                endif;

        //      The File usage count increments are handled by CompressGet
        //      with the SHAREDFILE option.

                nResult = CompressGet("redist.z", "*.*", options|SHAREDFILE);
                if (nResult < 0) then
                        NumToStr(szTmp, nResult);
                        MessageBox("Compress Get Error on redist.z files.\n\nError # " + szTmp, SEVERE);
                        exit;
                endif;
        endif;

        FileSetEndDefine(szFileSet);

FileTransfer:
        nResult = FileSetPerformEz(szFileSet, 0);

        switch(nResult)
        case FS_DONE:
        case FS_CREATEDIR:
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create a required subdirectory under " + TARGETDIR + "."
                + "\nPlease check write access to this directory.", SEVERE);

                abort;
        default:
                NumToStr(szTmp, nResult);
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Error copying files to " + TARGETDIR + "."
                + "\nPlease check this location and try again."
                + "\n\nError Number:"+szTmp, SEVERE);

                abort;

        endswitch;

UpdateRegistry:
        SetStatusWindow(95, "Creating registry entries...");
        Delay(2);

        RegDBSetDefaultRoot(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);

        Disable(LOGGING);

        // Create ODBC Core Subkey (if it doesn't exist)
        //      (But don't create uninstall information for it)
        szKey = ODBC_CORE_KEY;
        nResult = RegDBCreateKeyEx(szKey, "");
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create ODBC Core subkey.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        // Create Installed Driver Key (if it doesn't exist)
        //      (But don't create uninstall information for it)
        szKey = ODBC_DRIVERS_KEY;
        nResult = RegDBCreateKeyEx(szKey, "");
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create ODBC Drivers subkey.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        // Increment Driver Manager Component UsageCount
        szKey = ODBC_CORE_KEY;
        szName = "UsageCount";
        if (RegDBGetKeyValueEx(szKey, szName, nvType, svValue, nvSize) < 0) then
                ComponentUsageCount = 0;
        endif;

        // MessageBox("Current Driver Manager Component Usage Count = " + svValue, INFORMATION);

        StrToNum(ComponentUsageCount, svValue);
        ComponentUsageCount = ComponentUsageCount + 1;
        NumToStr(szTmp, ComponentUsageCount);
        // MessageBox("New Driver Manager Component Usage Count = " + szTmp, INFORMATION);

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, szName, REGDB_NUMBER, szTmp, -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to increment Driver Manager component usage count.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        //      Re-enable logging now
        Enable(LOGGING);

        //      set ODBC Drivers Subkey (installed)
        szKey = ODBC_DRIVERS_KEY;
        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, DRIVER_NAME, REGDB_STRING, "Installed", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'Installed' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        //      Driver Specification Subkey (PostgreSQL)
        szKey = ODBC_COMP_KEY + "\\" + DRIVER_NAME;
        nResult = RegDBCreateKeyEx(szKey, "");
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create ODBC Driver Key.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "APILevel", REGDB_STRING, "1", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'APILevel' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "ConnectFunctions", REGDB_STRING, "YYN", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'ConnectFunctions' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "Driver", REGDB_STRING, WINSYSDIR ^ DRIVER_FILE, -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'Driver' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "DriverODBCVer", REGDB_STRING, "02.00", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'DriverODBCVer' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "FileUsage", REGDB_STRING, "0", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'FileUsage' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "Setup", REGDB_STRING, WINSYSDIR ^ DRIVER_FILE, -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'Setup' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "SQLLevel", REGDB_STRING, "1", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'SQLLevel' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "UsageCount", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'UsageCount' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

Done:
        Delay(1);
        SetStatusWindow(100, "Installation complete");

        Delay(1);
        Disable(STATUSDLG);

        if (BATCH_INSTALL = TRUE) then
                szMsg = "Some files could not be updated because they are " +
                        "currently in use by other programs on the system. " +
                        "Files in use will be updated the next time you restart " +
                        "your system.";
                RebootDialog("Restart Windows", szMsg, SYS_BOOTMACHINE);
                CommitSharedFiles(0);
                szMsg = "Driver setup complete.\n\nReboot your system to complete the installation.";
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox(szMsg, INFORMATION);
        else

                szMsg = "Driver installation completed successfully.";
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox(szMsg, INFORMATION);
        endif;

        exit;

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
 *
 * Function:  SetupScreen
 *
 *  Purpose:  This function will set up the screen look.  This includes
 *            colors, fonts, text to be displayed, etc.
 *
 *
 *    Input:
 *
 *  Returns:
 *
 * Comments:
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

function SetupScreen()
        begin

          Enable( INDVFILESTATUS );

          SetTitle( APP_NAME + " Setup", 28, WHITE );

          SetTitle( "Setup", 0, BACKGROUNDCAPTION ); // Caption bar text.

          Enable( BACKGROUND );

        end;

function FileCompare(szCompInfoDate, szCompInfoTime, szFileInfoDate, szFileInfoTime)
        STRING year, month, day, file_date, file_time;
        NUMBER nResult;
        begin
                StrSub(year, szFileInfoDate, 2, 2);
                StrSub(month, szFileInfoDate, 5, 2);
                StrSub(day, szFileInfoDate, 8, 2);
                file_date = month + "-" + day + "-" + year;

                nResult = StrCompare(szCompInfoDate, file_date);
                if (nResult != 0) then
                        return nResult;
                endif;

                StrSub(file_time, szFileInfoTime, 0, 5);

                // MessageBox("Comp = " + szCompInfoDate + " " + szCompInfoTime + ", File = " + file_date + " " +
file_time,INFORMATION);
                nResult = StrCompare(szCompInfoTime, file_time);

                return nResult;
        end;

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> Julie, I have attached the latest RUL file for creating the InstallShield
> executable.   I'm not sure if it is different from what you have.

    Julie...can I impose on you to check this over on your system, so
that we at least have two test beds?

> Marc, I overlooked this file it should be included in the source.  Oops
> Also the binary file is only 1.2 meg not 2.5 meg. Oops again.

    David...is there a directory I can mirror from to add as part of
our ftp site?  I don't really like the idea of adding another 1.2Meg to an
almost 4Meg distribution, but having it local would be great, since then
it would be auto-included on the CDs also...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: ODBC 6.3.2

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I think I just figured out why you were so concerned about the Makefile
> and the README.   I looked through the latest snapshot (Apr 15) and
> noticed that the ODBC self-extracting EXE binary was not present.  (It
> was nice to see the source!)  :)   Is it your intentions to not include
> this as part of the distribution?   Are there tactical problems with
> including the binary?

    Other then making it a 5meg distribution? :)  I'd prefer to keep
the binary itself seperate, but easily accessible...see other email
concerning mirror...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
Byron Nikolaidis
Дата:
Hello,

My name is Byron Nikolaidis and I am the author of the new ODBC driver (and the install script as well) just in case
anybodydidn't know that.  I would like to make myself
known and perhaps clear up a few things.  I work with David Hartwig at Insight.  He provided several ideas for the
driverand I did all the programming.

If you want to contact me about the driver or install script, feel free!  Feedback is appreciated.  I would like to
makeevery effort to respond to bug fixes, enhancements,
etc. in this new driver, since I have lived and breathed it for several months.  In case you haven't heard, this driver
ispractically rewritten (all C++ code is gone) and it
is fast!  It also can handle several knew ODBC API calls, data types (like LongVarBinary and LongVarChar, properly),
thePostgres 6.3 protocol with password authentication, and
much more.

Please, go look at our web site, which contains the self-extracting install, the source code, and the complete list of
enhancements/highlights.The URL is:
"http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc".  This is where you are going to find the latest binary and source updates and
anyother driver info.

By the way, the installation script file (setup.rul) that David Hartwig sent was way out of date. The most current
scriptfile is now included in the source at our web site
(http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc) and I will attach it here as well.

Byron Nikolaidis
email: byronn@insightdist.com

/*
#    Insight Distribution Systems - System V - Apr 1998
#ident    "@(#)setup.rul    1.9 :/sccs/sql/odbc/s.setup.rul 4/15/98 16:42:47"
*/

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
 *
 *   PostgreSQL ODBC Driver Installation Script for InstallShield
 *
\*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#define APP_NAME                "PostgreSQL ODBC Driver"
#define DRIVER_NAME             "PostgreSQL"
#define DRIVER_FILE             "PSQLODBC.DLL"
#define OLD_DRIVER_FILE            "PODBC32.DLL"
#define OLD_DRIVER_FILE_RENAMED    "podbc32_sav.dll"

#define COMPANY_NAME            "Insight"
#define PRODUCT_NAME            "PostgreSQL ODBC Driver"
#define PRODUCT_VERSION         "6.3"
#define PRODUCT_KEY             "PSQLODBC.DLL"
#define UNINSTALL_KEY           "PSQLODBCv6.3"

#define ODBC_DM_KEY      "\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\SharedDLLs"
#define ODBC_COMP_KEY    "\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI"
#define ODBC_CORE_KEY    "\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI\\ODBC Core"
#define ODBC_DRIVERS_KEY "\\SOFTWARE\\ODBC\\ODBCINST.INI\\ODBC Drivers"

declare
        // functions
        prototype SetupScreen();
        prototype FileCompare(STRING, STRING, STRING, STRING);

        // variables
        STRING svMainDirectory [_MAX_STRING], svGrp, svUninstLogFile, svPath;
        STRING svValue, szName, szKey, szMessage;
        STRING szMsg, szTmp, szTmp2, szFileSet, szProgram;
        NUMBER nResult, nvType, nvSize, nStartup, ComponentUsageCount;

        NUMBER nvDoNot, nvVersion, nvInstall, nCore, nDM;
        STRING dm, core, szFileName, svFileName;
[...]

        szFileName = WINSYSDIR ^ DRIVER_FILE;
        nResult = VerGetFileVersion(szFileName, svFileVersion);

        // MessageBox("System file PSQLODBC.dll version is " + svFileVersion, INFORMATION);

[...]

        szFileSet = "psqlodbc";

[...]

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "CommLog", REGDB_STRING, "0", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'CommLog' key value.", SEVERE);
                exit;
        endif;

        nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "Optimizer", REGDB_STRING, "OFF", -1);
        if (nResult < 0) then
                MessageBeep(0);
                MessageBox("Unable to create 'Optimizer' key value.", SEVERE);
[...]

RenameOld:
        if (FindFile(WINSYSDIR, OLD_DRIVER_FILE, svFileName) = 0) then
            szMessage = "Renaming old driver to "  + OLD_DRIVER_FILE_RENAMED + " ...";
            SetStatusWindow(98, szMessage);
            Delay(1);

            Disable(LOGGING);

            SRCDIR= WINSYSDIR;
            TARGETDIR = WINSYSDIR;

            RenameFile(OLD_DRIVER_FILE, OLD_DRIVER_FILE_RENAMED);

            Enable(LOGGING);
[...]

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
Scott Tomer x6214 Austin
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 byronn@insightdist.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Byron Nikolaidis and I am the author of the new ODBC driver (and the install script as well) just in case
anybodydidn't know that.  I would like to make myself
> known and perhaps clear up a few things.  I work with David Hartwig at Insight.  He provided several ideas for the
driverand I did all the programming.

> If you want to contact me about the driver or install script, feel free!  Feedback is appreciated.  I would like to
makeevery effort to respond to bug fixes, enhancements,
> etc. in this new driver, since I have lived and breathed it for several months.  In case you haven't heard, this
driveris practically rewritten (all C++ code is gone) and it
> is fast!  It also can handle several knew ODBC API calls, data types (like LongVarBinary and LongVarChar, properly),
thePostgres 6.3 protocol with password authentication, and
> much more.
>
> Please, go look at our web site, which contains the self-extracting install, the source code, and the complete list
ofenhancements/highlights. The URL is:
> "http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc".  This is where you are going to find the latest binary and source updates and
anyother driver info.

> By the way, the installation script file (setup.rul) that David Hartwig sent was way out of date. The most current
scriptfile is now included in the source at our web site
> (http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc) and I will attach it here as well.
>
> Byron Nikolaidis
> email: byronn@insightdist.com

Ok.  Maybe it is just me; however, I have been a member of the PostODBC list
for quite a while (recently moved to this list) and it sounds to me like
there are two development efforts going on here!

Those of us on this list in the PostODBC world (or at least me) would like
to know what in the world is going on!  It seems rather disjunct!

I am a developer, and more than happy to help; however, now I am completely
confused.  I know in the past there were some efforts by insight to add some
funtionality to PostODBC; however, now it sound like Insight has taken over the
development effort from Julie (Julia?).

In general! What is going on?

Scott

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
Quoting The Hermit Hacker (scrappy@hub.org):
>     David...is there a directory I can mirror from to add as part of
> our ftp site?  I don't really like the idea of adding another 1.2Meg to an
> almost 4Meg distribution, but having it local would be great, since then
> it would be auto-included on the CDs also...

    I'd still like to have the home pages for the PostODBC driver at
MageNet if no one objects...  at least that is where most people look for
it.

Julie

--
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]
[   Admining Linux  ] [           To thine own self be true.           ]
[ Windows/WindowsNT ] [ Fair is where you take your cows to be judged. ]

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
Scott Tomer x6214 Austin
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Scott Tomer x6214 Austin wrote:

> Ok.  Maybe it is just me; however, I have been a member of the PostODBC list
> for quite a while (recently moved to this list) and it sounds to me like
> there are two development efforts going on here!
>
> Those of us on this list in the PostODBC world (or at least me) would like
> to know what in the world is going on!  It seems rather disjunct!
>
> I am a developer, and more than happy to help; however, now I am completely
> confused.  I know in the past there were some efforts by insight to add some
> funtionality to PostODBC; however, now it sound like Insight has taken over the
> development effort from Julie (Julia?).
>
> In general! What is going on?
>
> Scott

Or, maybe I've had too many Ale's.  Maybe I'm guilty of EWI (Emailing
while Intoxicated).

:)
Scott

Small patch to compile clean against VC++ 5.0

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
diff -uwd old/connection.c new/connection.c
--- old/connection.c    Wed Apr 15 16:42:00 1998
+++ new/connection.c    Wed Apr 15 21:56:01 1998
@@ -1150,7 +1150,7 @@
         return;
     }

-    result = SQLGetData(hstmt, 1, SQL_C_SLONG, &self->lobj_type, sizeof(self->lobj_type), NULL);
+    result = SQLGetData(hstmt, 1, SQL_C_LONG, &self->lobj_type, sizeof(self->lobj_type), NULL);
     if((result != SQL_SUCCESS) && (result != SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO)) {
         SQLFreeStmt(hstmt, SQL_DROP);
         return;
diff -uwd old/environ.h new/environ.h
--- old/environ.h    Fri Mar 27 11:06:06 1998
+++ new/environ.h    Wed Apr 15 21:56:02 1998
@@ -13,6 +13,7 @@
 #include "psqlodbc.h"
 #include <windows.h>
 #include <sql.h>
+#include <sqlext.h>

 #define ENV_ALLOC_ERROR 1

diff -uwd old/misc.h new/misc.h
--- old/misc.h    Wed Apr 15 12:29:22 1998
+++ new/misc.h    Wed Apr 15 22:00:26 1998
@@ -26,7 +26,7 @@
     'CommLog' flag in the ODBCINST.INI portion of the registry (see above),
     which is manipulated on the setup/connection dialog boxes.
 */
-#define Q_LOG
+// #define Q_LOG

 #ifdef MY_LOG
diff -uwd old/options.c new/options.c
--- old/options.c    Tue Mar 24 13:36:30 1998
+++ new/options.c    Wed Apr 15 21:56:02 1998
@@ -16,6 +16,7 @@
 #include "psqlodbc.h"
 #include <windows.h>
 #include <sql.h>
+#include <sqlext.h>
 #include "environ.h"
 #include "connection.h"
 #include "statement.h"

--
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]
[   Admining Linux  ] [           To thine own self be true.           ]
[ Windows/WindowsNT ] [ Fair is where you take your cows to be judged. ]

Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

Дата:
> My name is Byron Nikolaidis and I am the author of the new ODBC driver (and the install script as well) just in case
anybodydidn't know that.  I would like to make myself
> known and perhaps clear up a few things.  I work with David Hartwig at Insight.  He provided several ideas for the
driverand I did all the programming.

> If you want to contact me about the driver or install script, feel free!  Feedback is appreciated.  I would like to
makeevery effort to respond to bug fixes, enhancements,
> etc. in this new driver, since I have lived and breathed it for several months.  In case you haven't heard, this
driveris practically rewritten (all C++ code is gone) and it
> is fast!  It also can handle several knew ODBC API calls, data types (like LongVarBinary and LongVarChar, properly),
thePostgres 6.3 protocol with password authentication, and
> much more.
>
> Please, go look at our web site, which contains the self-extracting install, the source code, and the complete list
ofenhancements/highlights. The URL is:
> "http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc".  This is where you are going to find the latest binary and source updates and
anyother driver info.

> By the way, the installation script file (setup.rul) that David Hartwig sent was way out of date. The most current
scriptfile is now included in the source at our web site
> (http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc) and I will attach it here as well.
>
> Byron Nikolaidis
> email: byronn@insightdist.com

This is great.  We really needed a solid ODBC client.

One question I have is where will the primary repository be, at your
site or on postgresql.org?  We need to know because if it is at your
site, we need to get the newest version before each release.

Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> One question I have is where will the primary repository be, at your
> site or on postgresql.org?  We need to know because if it is at your
> site, we need to get the newest version before each release.

    From my talks with David Hartwig, they will be supplying us with
patches required to keep the odbc driver in our source tree up to
date...the newest binary for it will reside on their site, and mirrored to
our site.

    Byronn...if you are maintaining the odbc code, would having direct
access to the CVS repository make keeping things in sync easier for you?
The purpose of bringing the source code into our tree was/is to prevent
fragmentation of development as well as keep it "all in one place" for
those using it...

    David?  Comments?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Scott Tomer x6214 Austin wrote:

> Ok.  Maybe it is just me; however, I have been a member of the PostODBC
> list for quite a while (recently moved to this list) and it sounds to me
> like there are two development efforts going on here!

    No, only one...or, at least, that is what I'm *trying* to
accomplish...

> Those of us on this list in the PostODBC world (or at least me) would
> like to know what in the world is going on!  It seems rather disjunct!

    Following the discussions that are going on in here...the only
*official* ODBC driver for PostgreSQL is the one included with our
distribution...

> I am a developer, and more than happy to help; however, now I am
> completely confused.  I know in the past there were some efforts by
> insight to add some funtionality to PostODBC; however, now it sound like
> Insight has taken over the development effort from Julie (Julia?).

    No, actually, the ODBC driver is now falling under the whole
PostgreSQL project, with Insight acting as one (chief) aspect of the
development team, but anyone is still able to submit patches and
improvements for it...

> In general! What is going on?

    We're working on bringing it all under one umbrella...the "ball",
so to say, is being carried by us so that it doesn't rely on any one
developer holding it up anymore...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Byron Nikolaidis and I am the author of the new ODBC driver
> (and the install script as well) just in case anybody didn't know that.
> I would like to make myself known and perhaps clear up a few things.  I
> work with David Hartwig at Insight.  He provided several ideas for the
> driver and I did all the programming.

    Wow...my understanding from David was that it was based on an
earlier release of PostODBC...I didn't realize it was a complete
re-write...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
William Woods
Дата:
Please remove me from tese lists...

William Woods - wwoods@cybcon.com
Caldeal Linux - Kernel 2.0.33
Netscape 4.05 Mail

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > One question I have is where will the primary repository be, at your
> > site or on postgresql.org?  We need to know because if it is at your
> > site, we need to get the newest version before each release.
>
>         From my talks with David Hartwig, they will be supplying us with
> patches required to keep the odbc driver in our source tree up to
> date...the newest binary for it will reside on their site, and mirrored to
> our site.
>
>         Byronn...if you are maintaining the odbc code, would having direct
> access to the CVS repository make keeping things in sync easier for you?
> The purpose of bringing the source code into our tree was/is to prevent
> fragmentation of development as well as keep it "all in one place" for
> those using it...
>
>         David?  Comments?

Point of clarification:   Byron works for me at Insight.   We usually keep him
locked up.   But he got out yesterday.   :)  Actually he has done all of the
coding on the project under my direction.   He deserves 99% of the credit for
anything contributed by Insight to the ODBC project.   To date, I have been doing
most of the correspondence in an attempt to speak as one voice on matters of
project management.

Unfortunately,  we do not have a Unix box at the office with a connection to the
internet.  :(  We dial in from or PCs to get the source or to update our pages
located at out ISP.   I have a Linux box at home and have gotten CVSup up.    It
would be nice if we had update privileges for the ODBC stuff..  Is CVSup capable
of granting update privileges to only one directory?

Call me crazy, but our goal is to help make PostgreSQL a viable alternative in
commercial applications.  I hope we can be more of a help than a hindrance.

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
David Hartwig

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
>
> > Julie, I have attached the latest RUL file for creating the InstallShield
> > executable.   I'm not sure if it is different from what you have.

>         Julie...can I impose on you to check this over on your system, so
> that we at least have two test beds?

I hope you noticed that I sent the old version.     Byron attached  the latest one
in heis e-mail.   I think he is trying to make me look bad.   :(

> > Marc, I overlooked this file it should be included in the source.  Oops
> > Also the binary file is only 1.2 meg not 2.5 meg. Oops again.
>
>         David...is there a directory I can mirror from to add as part of
> our ftp site?  I don't really like the idea of adding another 1.2Meg to an
> almost 4Meg distribution, but having it local would be great, since then
> it would be auto-included on the CDs also...

What do I need to do to make this happen?    Give you an FTP location?

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
Scott Tomer x6214 Austin
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 scrappy@hub.org wrote:

> > In general! What is going on?
>
>     We're working on bringing it all under one umbrella...the "ball",
> so to say, is being carried by us so that it doesn't rely on any one
> developer holding it up anymore...

Sounds Great!

Scott

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
> >
> > > Julie, I have attached the latest RUL file for creating the InstallShield
> > > executable.   I'm not sure if it is different from what you have.
>
> >         Julie...can I impose on you to check this over on your system, so
> > that we at least have two test beds?
> >

> I hope you noticed that I sent the old version.     Byron attached  the latest one
> in heis e-mail.   I think he is trying to make me look bad.   :(

    Noticed...meant to include it last night, but ran out of time :(
Will get it in tonight...

    And, he isn't trying to make you look bad...just keep you on your
toes :)

> > > Marc, I overlooked this file it should be included in the source.  Oops
> > > Also the binary file is only 1.2 meg not 2.5 meg. Oops again.
> >
> >         David...is there a directory I can mirror from to add as part of
> > our ftp site?  I don't really like the idea of adding another 1.2Meg to an
> > almost 4Meg distribution, but having it local would be great, since then
> > it would be auto-included on the CDs also...
>
> What do I need to do to make this happen?    Give you an FTP location?

    Yup...

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
David Hartwig

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
>

> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > >         Julie...can I impose on you to check this over on your system, so
> > > that we at least have two test beds?
> > >

> > I hope you noticed that I sent the old version.     Byron attached  the latest one
> > in heis e-mail.   I think he is trying to make me look bad.   :(
>
>         Noticed...meant to include it last night, but ran out of time :(
> Will get it in tonight...
>
>         And, he isn't trying to make you look bad...just keep you on your
> toes :)

> > >         David...is there a directory I can mirror from to add as part of
> > > our ftp site?  I don't really like the idea of adding another 1.2Meg to an
> > > almost 4Meg distribution, but having it local would be great, since then
> > > it would be auto-included on the CDs also...
> >
> > What do I need to do to make this happen?    Give you an FTP location?
>
>         Yup...

I hope to have an anonymous ftp account set up by early Friday.   I'll give you the
details ASAP.

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
David Hartwig

David Hartwig wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > I hope you noticed that I sent the old version.     Byron attached  the latest one
> > > in heis e-mail.   I think he is trying to make me look bad.   :(
> >
> >         Noticed...meant to include it last night, but ran out of time :(
> > Will get it in tonight...
> >
> >         And, he isn't trying to make you look bad...just keep you on your
> > toes :)

> > > What do I need to do to make this happen?    Give you an FTP location?
> >
> >         Yup...
>
> I hope to have an anonymous ftp account set up by early Friday.   I'll give you the
> details ASAP.

Ok...
ftp://ftp.insightdist.com/psqlodbc  is our directory for our latest stuff including the
binary.

 OR

ftp vwww1.abs.net
login: anonymous
password:  whatever
cd vendor/insightd/psqlodbc

Вложения

Re: Small patch to compile clean against VC++ 5.0

От
Byron Nikolaidis
Дата:
Julia,

I made all the patches to let it compile clean on MS VC 5.0
I reworked some things with the order of the wonderful Microsoft header files so that the Q_LOG can remain
compiled in yet the driver compiles clean.

I'll put the latest stuff on the web site still until I hear otherwise.

Regards,

Byron

Julia A.Case wrote:

> Quoting Byron Nikolaidis (byronn@insightdist.com):
> > Julia,
> >
> > I would like to make it compile on 5.0 also, I just have a couple of questions about this patch:
> >
> > > -       result = SQLGetData(hstmt, 1, SQL_C_SLONG, &self->lobj_type, sizeof(self->lobj_type), NULL);
> > > +       result = SQLGetData(hstmt, 1, SQL_C_LONG, &self->lobj_type, sizeof(self->lobj_type), NULL);
> >
> > SQL_C_SLONG is the ODBC 2.0 type to use and should be in sql.h; SQL_C_LONG is a ODBC 1.0 type.
> >
>         Perhaps there was another missing <sqlext.h>  ???
>
> > > -#define Q_LOG
> > > +// #define Q_LOG
> > >

> > Why would this cause a problem?  This is to compile in the communications log feature which is quite
> > useful and was wanted for a long time.  If it is commented out like you have shown it, it could not be
> > activated from the setup dialog boxes.
> >
> > Do these things cause warnings or errors?
> >
>         the va_args macros cause errors...  and to be honest I don't know
> enough to fix them, so it seemed simpler to comment them out.  Will that
> many END users be using Q_LOG?  I'd think that would mostly be a developer
> thing...  and if so, a developer could uncomment it if they wanted it.
>
> Julie
>
> --
> [  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
> [Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]
> [   Admining Linux  ] [           To thine own self be true.           ]
> [ Windows/WindowsNT ] [ Fair is where you take your cows to be judged. ]

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> I hope to have an anonymous ftp account set up by early Friday.   I'll give you the
> details ASAP.

    Perfect, thank you...

    David, Julie expressed a desire to keep the PostODBC web page
pointing to MageNet...I personally have no problems with that...is this a
problem?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> Ok...
> ftp://ftp.insightdist.com/psqlodbc  is our directory for our latest stuff including the
> binary.

    Mirroring...now it will be included automagically on all future CD
images...

Thanks :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> Unfortunately, we do not have a Unix box at the office with a connection
> to the internet.  :( We dial in from or PCs to get the source or to
> update our pages located at out ISP.  I have a Linux box at home and
> have gotten CVSup up.  It would be nice if we had update privileges for
> the ODBC stuff..  Is CVSup capable of granting update privileges to only
> one directory?

    Unfortunately, no...or, more aptly, fortunately, no :)  The best
method, at this time, of doing updates is to submit them as a patch to the
pgsql-patches list...

    Julie, can I leave it in your hands to handle watching for and
committing patches from Byron?  Call me crazy, but I like the thought of
having a "review" of patches going in...and I definitely don't know
Windoze stuff :(  This will at least have a 'third party' reviewing
changes going in...

> Call me crazy, but our goal is to help make PostgreSQL a viable
> alternative in commercial applications.  I hope we can be more of a help
> than a hindrance.

    That's been our goal for the past...damn, almost 2 years now :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> Unfortunately, we do not have a Unix box at the office with a connection
> to the internet.  :( We dial in from or PCs to get the source or to
> update our pages located at out ISP.  I have a Linux box at home and
> have gotten CVSup up.  It would be nice if we had update privileges for
> the ODBC stuff..  Is CVSup capable of granting update privileges to only
> one directory?

    Byron/David...as changes are made to the source tree, could you
make sure that they are also issued out as patches, so that we can keep
the source tree in the distribution in sync?

    Julie...can I leave it in your hands to ensure that any changes
*are* merged into the source tree, so that at least someone is reviewing
them, similar to what happens with the server source tree?

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC Driver and Install script (PLEASE READ!)

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
Quoting The Hermit Hacker (scrappy@hub.org):
>     Julie, can I leave it in your hands to handle watching for and
> committing patches from Byron?  Call me crazy, but I like the thought of
> having a "review" of patches going in...and I definitely don't know
> Windoze stuff :(  This will at least have a 'third party' reviewing
> changes going in...

    Not a problem with me...

Julie

--

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
>
> > Ok...
> > ftp://ftp.insightdist.com/psqlodbc  is our directory for our latest stuff including the
> > binary.

Correction on the URL path.   ftp://ftp.insightdist.com/vendor/insightd/psqlodbc

The command line FTP instructions I sent earlier were correvt.

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
David Hartwig

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>         David, Julie expressed a desire to keep the PostODBC web page
> pointing to MageNet...I personally have no problems with that...is this a
> problem?

How will it work?   The current state of the MagNet pages are pretty out of date.   Our
few pages are up to date, but largely incomplete.

To me, the most important area would be the FAQ (or FAQs).   Could these, and any other
user doc, be part of the source so that patches can be submitted to keep the up to date?

Comments.

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> >         David, Julie expressed a desire to keep the PostODBC web page
> > pointing to MageNet...I personally have no problems with that...is this a
> > problem?
> >

> How will it work?  The current state of the MagNet pages are pretty out
> of date.  Our few pages are up to date, but largely incomplete.
>
> To me, the most important area would be the FAQ (or FAQs).  Could these,
> and any other user doc, be part of the source so that patches can be
> submitted to keep the up to date?

    Could the FAQ and any other user docs be SGML'd and included as
part of the overall PostgreSQL docs?  Thomas?  I'm trying, as much as
possible, for the "central, one stop shopping" sort of thing...spreading
things all over the 'Net sort of defeats that purpose, eh? :)

Re: [DOCS] Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
Patrice Hédé
Дата:
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > >         David, Julie expressed a desire to keep the PostODBC web page
> > > pointing to MageNet...I personally have no problems with that...is this a
> > > problem?
> > >

> > How will it work?  The current state of the MagNet pages are pretty out
> > of date.  Our few pages are up to date, but largely incomplete.
> >
> > To me, the most important area would be the FAQ (or FAQs).  Could these,
> > and any other user doc, be part of the source so that patches can be
> > submitted to keep the up to date?
>
>     Could the FAQ and any other user docs be SGML'd and included as
> part of the overall PostgreSQL docs?  Thomas?  I'm trying, as much as
> possible, for the "central, one stop shopping" sort of thing...spreading
> things all over the 'Net sort of defeats that purpose, eh? :)

Well, I volunteered in an earlier mail to do this transformation of the
FAQ to SGML, during the next weeks, as well as updating the FAQ with new
questions from the lists. If there are other faqs to include, may I have
the urls, so that I can download and include them ?

Patrice

--
Patrice HÉDÉ --------------------------------- patrice@idf.net -----

Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
Quoting David Hartwig (daveh@insightdist.com):
> How will it work?   The current state of the MagNet pages are pretty out of date.   Our
> few pages are up to date, but largely incomplete.
>
> To me, the most important area would be the FAQ (or FAQs).   Could these, and any other
> user doc, be part of the source so that patches can be submitted to keep the up to date?

    I'm going to merger your changes list into the web pages at
MageNet.com this weekend.

Julie

--
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]
[   Admining Linux  ] [           To thine own self be true.           ]
[ Windows/WindowsNT ] [ Fair is where you take your cows to be judged. ]

Re: [DOCS] Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC 6.3.2

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
Quoting Patrice Hédé (patrice@idf.net):
> Well, I volunteered in an earlier mail to do this transformation of the
> FAQ to SGML, during the next weeks, as well as updating the FAQ with new
> questions from the lists. If there are other faqs to include, may I have
> the urls, so that I can download and include them ?

    There was the start of a FAQ at MageNet.com

    http://postodbc.MageNet.com

Julie

--
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]
[   Admining Linux  ] [           To thine own self be true.           ]
[ Windows/WindowsNT ] [ Fair is where you take your cows to be judged. ]

ODBC FAQ

От
David Hartwig
Дата:
I just went through the FAQ at MagNet .    It is way out of date.    I have
been compiling the "start" of a new one that will hopefully be ready by
Monday.

I am still a bit confused as to how this is doing down.  How are the FAQ's
going to be up date?

Will the ODBC FAQ be distributed exclusively with with the backend?    I agree
that there should not be different FAQs spread all over the internet.  I would
like to see one, though, that can be kept up to date on the web.

Julia A.Case wrote:

> Quoting Patrice Hédé (patrice@idf.net):
> > Well, I volunteered in an earlier mail to do this transformation of the
> > FAQ to SGML, during the next weeks, as well as updating the FAQ with new
> > questions from the lists. If there are other faqs to include, may I have
> > the urls, so that I can download and include them ?
> >
>         There was the start of a FAQ at MageNet.com
>
>         http://postodbc.MageNet.com
>
> Julie

Вложения

Re: ODBC FAQ

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> I am still a bit confused as to how this is doing down.  How are the FAQ's
> going to be up date?
>
> Will the ODBC FAQ be distributed exclusively with with the backend?  I
> agree that there should not be different FAQs spread all over the
> internet.  I would like to see one, though, that can be kept up to date
> on the web.

    My preference with the ODBC drivers is to go the same route as the
JDBC drivers...integrate the docs/FAQs into the "Document Project" so that
its a "one stop shopping" sort of arrangement...

    Hell, if its going to come to a "I want to do this, and I want to
do that" sort of war amongst two groups that are trying to focus on one
goal (which I'm *trying* to avoid), why don't you both create a mirror the
WWW site at www.postgresql.org, and help integrate everything in one
place?  It makes a helluva lot more sense then pointing ppl at different
locations to find information...

    If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
into our document tree?

    As far as *that* is concerned, I've seen at least two postings
from Byronn about fixes/improvements for the drivers, but have yet to see
a patch posted to have it integrated into the main distribution/source
tree.  The source tree *is* a moving target...putting in changing source
code is acceptable, as it means that the weekly snapshot that gets built
will have the newest ODBC source code in it...

    Is this too much to be asking?

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
>
> > I am still a bit confused as to how this is doing down.  How are the FAQ's
> > going to be up date?
> >
> > Will the ODBC FAQ be distributed exclusively with with the backend?  I
> > agree that there should not be different FAQs spread all over the
> > internet.  I would like to see one, though, that can be kept up to date
> > on the web.
>
>         My preference with the ODBC drivers is to go the same route as the
> JDBC drivers...integrate the docs/FAQs into the "Document Project" so that
> its a "one stop shopping" sort of arrangement...

This seems somewhat reasonable except for one thing.   How do I maintain a static
document of frequently asked questions if most of the questions are just starting
to ba asked?

>         Hell, if its going to come to a "I want to do this, and I want to
> do that" sort of war amongst two groups that are trying to focus on one
> goal (which I'm *trying* to avoid), why don't you both create a mirror the
> WWW site at www.postgresql.org, and help integrate everything in one
> place?  It makes a helluva lot more sense then pointing ppl at different
> locations to find information...
>
>         If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
> Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
> into our document tree?

I sense edginess here.   I merely stated a fact and offered to correct situation
over the weekend.   I cannot help it, if you are uninformed as to the validity of
the older FAQ.   I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

>         As far as *that* is concerned, I've seen at least two postings
> from Byronn about fixes/improvements for the drivers, but have yet to see
> a patch posted to have it integrated into the main distribution/source
> tree.  The source tree *is* a moving target...putting in changing source
> code is acceptable, as it means that the weekly snapshot that gets built
> will have the newest ODBC source code in it...
>
>         Is this too much to be asking?

No it is not.   We just haven't gotten or act together yet.  They WERE
forthcoming.

Вложения

Re: ODBC FAQ

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> This seems somewhat reasonable except for one thing.  How do I maintain
> a static document of frequently asked questions if most of the questions
> are just starting to ba asked?

I think Patrice is focusing alot of his attentions right now on the
various FAQs and getting them organized, so I'll leave this one in his
hands to answer...Patrice?

> >         Hell, if its going to come to a "I want to do this, and I want to
> > do that" sort of war amongst two groups that are trying to focus on one
> > goal (which I'm *trying* to avoid), why don't you both create a mirror the
> > WWW site at www.postgresql.org, and help integrate everything in one
> > place?  It makes a helluva lot more sense then pointing ppl at different
> > locations to find information...
> >
> >         If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
> > Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
> > into our document tree?
> >

> I sense edginess here.  I merely stated a fact and offered to correct
> situation over the weekend.  I cannot help it, if you are uninformed as
> to the validity of the older FAQ.  I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

    Damn, Unix ppl are soooo much easier to co-ordinate :)

    Okay.

    Patrice, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), has taken over
co-ordination of the FAQs associated with the project, so I will leave it
in his hands to let you know what he requires for the ODBC FAQ...

> >         As far as *that* is concerned, I've seen at least two postings
> > from Byronn about fixes/improvements for the drivers, but have yet to see
> > a patch posted to have it integrated into the main distribution/source
> > tree.  The source tree *is* a moving target...putting in changing source
> > code is acceptable, as it means that the weekly snapshot that gets built
> > will have the newest ODBC source code in it...
> >
> >         Is this too much to be asking?
> >

> No it is not.   We just haven't gotten or act together yet.  They WERE
> forthcoming.

    Okay, the impression I've been getting from the postings that
Bryonn has been posting was that the newest version is available at your
site, and, well, if we want to update the distribution, go out and grab a
copy and update it...he's never said that outright, its just the way that
its come across, especially since I've yet to see a patch across against
the distribution...

    Sorry about the mis-impression...

    Now, are you adverse to merging the ODBC website as part of the
whole PostgreSQL web site, so that all information is centralized and
follows the same overall look/feel to it?

Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ODBC FAQ

От
Rudi Heitbaum
Дата:
>     Okay, the impression I've been getting from the postings that
> Bryonn has been posting was that the newest version is available at your
> site, and, well, if we want to update the distribution, go out and grab a
> copy and update it...he's never said that outright, its just the way that
> its come across, especially since I've yet to see a patch across against
> the distribution...
>
>     Sorry about the mis-impression...
>
>     Now, are you adverse to merging the ODBC website as part of the
> whole PostgreSQL web site, so that all information is centralized and
> follows the same overall look/feel to it?

I believe it should be moved into the complete website. This allows
maintainence to be performed by a number of people (am I wrong).
Hopefully, contributions can be made by "Everybody" to improve the
site and FAQ lists. Whilst doing the web admin, I got very few pieces
of information to update the site with, and it why it is in its outdated
state.

I'm happy if people wish me to continue web admin to web admin, or am willing
to step down if that is what the majority wants.

Regards

Rudi

--
Rudi Heitbaum                Ph:  +61-3-9822 1216
Managing Director            Fax: +61-3-9822 1728

Re: [DOCS] Re: ODBC FAQ

От
Patrice Hédé
Дата:
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
> > This seems somewhat reasonable except for one thing.  How do I maintain
> > a static document of frequently asked questions if most of the questions
> > are just starting to ba asked?
>
> I think Patrice is focusing alot of his attentions right now on the
> various FAQs and getting them organized, so I'll leave this one in his
> hands to answer...Patrice?

Well, I'm just starting doing this. To know what are the questions people
ask, just look at the questions-list. I haven't looked too much into the
ODBC FAQs yet, but I don't use it myself (I wanted to give Windows user an
access to the main database with ODBC+Access when I was in Canada, and
never did it, because the issue seemed confusing to me -- but I'm no good
at all on Windows, just knowing basic things to keep people out of
trouble).

I've started collecting entries since the 7th of April (I'm planning to go
back in time later...), and well, I haven't seen much about ODBC.

My opinion about all this : I will build up the structure for the various
FAQ, and try to update as much as I can myself. However, as soon as the
structure is here, it will be quite easy to :
 - either submit raw questions/answers that I format into SGML myself,
 - either directly submit patches to update it.

However, if someone volunteers to be the main maintainer for one section
of the FAQ, I'm willing to give them away if noone disagrees :) But a
section is still one piece in the document, so we must keep one central
place, which will certainly be on postgresql.org, through Thomas..

> > >         If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
> > > Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
> > > into our document tree?
> >
> > I sense edginess here.  I merely stated a fact and offered to correct
> > situation over the weekend.  I cannot help it, if you are uninformed as
> > to the validity of the older FAQ.  I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

No, you shouldn't ! Every bit of help is welcomed. Even though I'm working
on the FAQ, I don't know every aspect, especially when it comes to
interfaces like ODBC.  I'll try to build up something from what I find
here and there. Some items may be wrong, out of date, and some important
facts missing. If noone tells, I'll never know. I think the same problem
exists for the main docs.

I welcome any contributions concerning this... though.. err.. just give me
some time to have a first draft :)

But it's sure we need to have a central place : easier to keep uptodate,
easier for the users to find what they want, easier to coordinate our
efforts (after the first few steps, I mean ;) ).

Patrice

--
Patrice HÉDÉ --------------------------------- patrice@idf.net -----

ODBC FAQ

От
Arthur Alacar
Дата:
does postODBC work with visual foxpro 3.0 ?

if yes, what's the maximum number of concurrent database connection?
        what's the maximum number of concurrent users?

thank you..

.a.r.t.