Обсуждение: A typo?

A typo?

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/plpgsql-declarations.html

Under 43.3.1, "Notice that we omitted RETURNS real — we could have included
it, but it would be redundant."
Should that be "RETURNS tax" instead of "RETURNS real"?

Re: A typo?

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Saturday, April 6, 2024, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/plpgsql-declarations.html

Under 43.3.1, "Notice that we omitted RETURNS real — we could have included
it, but it would be redundant."
Should that be "RETURNS tax" instead of "RETURNS real"?

The docs are correct.

David J.

Re: A typo?

От
jian he
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 7, 2024 at 6:30 PM PG Doc comments form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/plpgsql-declarations.html
>
> Under 43.3.1, "Notice that we omitted RETURNS real — we could have included
> it, but it would be redundant."
> Should that be "RETURNS tax" instead of "RETURNS real"?

I think it's related to the plpgsql "RETURNS" and "RETURN" confusion.
RETURN  can appear between "begin", "end".
RETURNS need to specify before "AS".

not omit "RETURNS real" would be:

CREATE FUNCTION sales_tax(subtotal real,  OUT tax real) returns real AS $$
BEGIN
tax := subtotal * 0.06;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Re: A typo?

Дата:
> On Saturday, April 6, 2024, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> Under 43.3.1, "Notice that we omitted RETURNS real — we could have included
>> it, but it would be redundant."
>> Should that be "RETURNS tax" instead of "RETURNS real"?

> The docs are correct.

Specifically, that bit is a declaration of the data type of the
function's result, not a specification of how to compute it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: A typo?

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 7, 2024 at 7:24 AM jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 7, 2024 at 6:30 PM PG Doc comments form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/plpgsql-declarations.html
>
> Under 43.3.1, "Notice that we omitted RETURNS real — we could have included
> it, but it would be redundant."
> Should that be "RETURNS tax" instead of "RETURNS real"?

I think it's related to the plpgsql "RETURNS" and "RETURN" confusion.
RETURN  can appear between "begin", "end".
RETURNS need to specify before "AS".

Right, the OP needs to have consulted the CREATE FUNCTION reference page to find the definition of the RETURNS clause since it is language agnostic.

David J.