Обсуждение: Commitfest Manager for March

Commitfest Manager for March

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
We are now hours away from starting the last commitfest for v17 and AFAICS
there have been no volunteers for the position of Commitfest manager (cfm) yet.
As per usual it's likely beneficial if the CFM of the last CF before freeze is
someone with an seasoned eye to what can make it and what can't, but the
important part is that we get someone with the time and energy to invest.

Anyone interested?

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Feb 2024, at 22:26, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> We are now hours away from starting the last commitfest for v17

It is now March 1 in all timezones, so I have switched 202403 to In Progress
and 202307 to Open.  There are a total of 331 patches registered with 286 of
those in an open state, 24 of those have been around for 10 CF's or more.

The call for a CFM volunteer is still open.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"

> On 1 Mar 2024, at 17:29, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> The call for a CFM volunteer is still open.

I always wanted to try. And most of the stuff I'm interested in is already committed.

But given importance of last commitfest before feature freeze, we might be interested in more experienced CFM.
If I can do something useful - I'm up for it.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 1 Mar 2024, at 14:57, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
>> On 1 Mar 2024, at 17:29, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>
>> The call for a CFM volunteer is still open.
>
> I always wanted to try. And most of the stuff I'm interested in is already committed.
>
> But given importance of last commitfest before feature freeze, we might be interested in more experienced CFM.
> If I can do something useful - I'm up for it.

I'm absolutely convinced you have more than enough experience with postgres
hacking to do an excellent job.  I'm happy to give a hand as well.

Thanks for volunteering!

(someone from pginfra will give you the required admin permissions on the CF
app)

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
Aleksander Alekseev
Дата:
Hi,

> >> The call for a CFM volunteer is still open.
> >
> > I always wanted to try. And most of the stuff I'm interested in is already committed.
> >
> > But given importance of last commitfest before feature freeze, we might be interested in more experienced CFM.
> > If I can do something useful - I'm up for it.
>
> I'm absolutely convinced you have more than enough experience with postgres
> hacking to do an excellent job.  I'm happy to give a hand as well.
>
> Thanks for volunteering!
>
> (someone from pginfra will give you the required admin permissions on the CF
> app)

Thanks for volunteering, Andrey!

If you need any help please let me know.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"

> On 4 Mar 2024, at 17:09, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
>
> If you need any help please let me know.

Aleksander, I would greatly appreciate if you join me in managing CF. Together we can move more stuff :)
Currently, I'm going through "SQL Commands". And so far I had not come to "Performance" and "Server Features" at all...
Soif you can handle updating statuses of that sections - that would be great.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
Aleksander Alekseev
Дата:
Hi Andrey,

> > If you need any help please let me know.
>
> Aleksander, I would greatly appreciate if you join me in managing CF. Together we can move more stuff :)
> Currently, I'm going through "SQL Commands". And so far I had not come to "Performance" and "Server Features" at
all...So if you can handle updating statuses of that sections - that would be great.

OK, I'll take care of the "Performance" and "Server Features"
sections. I submitted my summaries of the entries triaged so far to
the corresponding thread [1].

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJ7c6TN9SnYdq%3DkfP-txgo5AaT%2Bt9YU%2BvQHfLBZqOBiHwoipAg%40mail.gmail.com

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
wenhui qiu
Дата:
 Hi Aleksander Alekseev
      Could you take a look at the patch (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4284/),How about your opinion

Thanks

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 21:41, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
Hi Andrey,

> > If you need any help please let me know.
>
> Aleksander, I would greatly appreciate if you join me in managing CF. Together we can move more stuff :)
> Currently, I'm going through "SQL Commands". And so far I had not come to "Performance" and "Server Features" at all... So if you can handle updating statuses of that sections - that would be great.

OK, I'll take care of the "Performance" and "Server Features"
sections. I submitted my summaries of the entries triaged so far to
the corresponding thread [1].

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJ7c6TN9SnYdq%3DkfP-txgo5AaT%2Bt9YU%2BvQHfLBZqOBiHwoipAg%40mail.gmail.com

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"

> On 1 Mar 2024, at 17:29, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> It is now March 1 in all timezones, so I have switched 202403 to In Progress
> and 202307 to Open.  There are a total of 331 patches registered with 286 of
> those in an open state, 24 of those have been around for 10 CF's or more.

As of April 1 there are 97 committed patches. Incredible amount of work! Thanks to all committers, patch authors and
reviewers.
Still there are 205 open patches, 19 of them are there for 10+ CFs. I considered reducing this number by rejecting
coupleof my patches. But that author-part of my brain resisted in an offlist conversation.

I think it makes sense to close this commitfest only after Feature Freeze on April 8, 2024 at 0:00 AoE.
What do you think?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"

> On 20 Mar 2024, at 18:13, wenhui qiu <qiuwenhuifx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       Could you take a look at the patch (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4284/),How about your opinion

The patch is currently in the "Ready for Committer" state. It's up to the committer to decide which one to pick. There
are22 proposed patches and many committers are dealing with the consequences of what has already been committed (build
farmfailures, open issues, post-commit notifications, etc.).
If I was a committer, I wouldn't commit a new join kind at the door of feature freeze. If I was the author of this
patch,I'd consider attracting more reviewers and testers to increase chances of the patch in July CF.
Thanks for your work!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

PS. Plz post the answer below quoted text. That’s common practice here.

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 01/04/2024 09:05, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
> I think it makes sense to close this commitfest only after Feature Freeze on April 8, 2024 at 0:00 AoE.
> What do you think?

+1. IIRC that's how it's been done in last commitfest in previous years too.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
Sutou Kouhei
Дата:
Hi,

In <cdfb3749-595b-44ad-aea2-3e52446c9f28@iki.fi>
  "Re: Commitfest Manager for March" on Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:57:27 +0300,
  Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 01/04/2024 09:05, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>> I think it makes sense to close this commitfest only after Feature
>> Freeze on April 8, 2024 at 0:00 AoE.
>> What do you think?
>
> +1. IIRC that's how it's been done in last commitfest in previous
> years too.

Thanks for extending the period.

Could someone review my patches for this commitfest?

1. https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4681/
   Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

2. https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4791/
   meson: Specify -Wformat as a common warning flag for extensions

kou

Re: Commitfest Manager for March

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"

> On 1 Apr 2024, at 09:05, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
> As of April 1 there are 97 committed patches.

Hello everyone!

March Commitfest is closed.
~40 CF entries were committed since April 1st. Despite some drawbacks discussed in nearby threads, its still huge
amountof work and significant progress for the project. Thanks to everyone involved!

The number is approximate, because in some cases I could not clearly determine status. I pinged authors to do so.

26 entries are RWF\Rejected\Withdrawn. Michael noted that I moved to next CF some entries that wait for the author more
thencouple of weeks. I'm going to revise WoA items in 2024-07 and RwF some of them to reduce CF bloat. If authors are
stillinterested in continuing work of returned items, they are free to provide an answer and to change status back to
NeedsReview.

I've removed all "target version = 17" attribute and switched statuses of a lot of entries. I'm afraid there might be
someerrors. If I determined status of your patch erroneously, please accept my apologise and correct the error.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.