Обсуждение: armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel

armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel

От
Holger Schiebold
Дата:
dear list,

it seems that again armadillo major update in epel (this time from 10 to
12) breaks the gdal3* packages in postgres yum repos (RHEL 8 and 9), so
we cannot use  certain packages from postgres el repositories and yum
update on machines with both repositories is broken.

Will there be builds of the gdal3*  packages against the new armadillo
12 package from epel to solve that or do we have to do other things
while we use postgres and epel repositories?

Btw. - why the epel guys do major upgrades of this library - isn't it
completely against the el way of things? Was this ever discussed with
the epel guys?

best regards Holger

mit freundlichen Grüßen

--
Holger Schiebold

____________________
codematix GmbH
Felsbachstrasse 5/7
D-07745 Jena
Tel. +49 (3641) 3038-18
www.codematix.de

Re: armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2024-01-23 at 14:54 +0100, Holger Schiebold wrote:
> it seems that again armadillo major update in epel (this time from 10
> to  12) breaks the gdal3* packages in postgres yum repos (RHEL 8 and
> 9), so  we cannot use  certain packages from postgres el repositories
> and yum  update on machines with both repositories is broken.
>
> Will there be builds of the gdal3*  packages against the new armadillo
> 12 package from epel to solve that or do we have to do other things
> while we use postgres and epel repositories?

This has been fixed already in GDAL 3.6.4-6 RPMs.

> Btw. - why the epel guys do major upgrades of this library - isn't it
> completely against the el way of things? Was this ever discussed with
> the epel guys?

RHEL also do such updates with LLVM and CLANG, already broke poppler and
armadillo in the past, so my job is to rebuild the packages on our side
when such updates are released.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor

Re: armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel

От
Holger Schiebold
Дата:
Hi Devrim and thanks for the info,

the problem for us is i.e. on RHEL8 machines in the data center where
some times ago a former Version of postgis31_12
(postgis31_12-0:3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64) with dependency gdal34-libs was
installed - now the "yum update" in an automatic patchcycle fails
because gdal36-libs is not an update of gdal34-libs.
So we have to manually remove an all machines the gdal34-libs and
reinstall the postgis package with the alternativ dependency gdal36-libs
- right?

On RHEL9 same problem with i.e. older installs of
postgis31_12-0:3.1.7-1.rhel9.x86_64 - (yum deplist
postgis31_12-0:3.1.7-1.rhel9.x86_64 | grep gdal) - where gdal33-libs as
dependency came with it.
On RHEL9 i.e. we have machines with installed postgis30 too with only
dependency to gdal33-libs. There we cannot use postgis30 anymore - only
higher Versions as fresh installs. (this is normally not possible in a
specified production environment)

All manually tasks has to be done by a lot of different admins at each
stage in the data center (dev, test, int, prod)

So would it be possible to build alle the gdal3* alternatives (gdal33,
34, 35 ) too against the armadillo 12? Only in that case the next "yum
update" is not broken - we think. Otherwise these Versions and postgis30
in RHEL9 i.e. in the postgres yum repo must be considered as broken -
right?

best regards

Holger

Am 23.01.2024 um 20:22 schrieb Devrim Gündüz:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2024-01-23 at 14:54 +0100, Holger Schiebold wrote:
>> it seems that again armadillo major update in epel (this time from 10
>> to  12) breaks the gdal3* packages in postgres yum repos (RHEL 8 and
>> 9), so  we cannot use  certain packages from postgres el repositories
>> and yum  update on machines with both repositories is broken.
>>
>> Will there be builds of the gdal3*  packages against the new armadillo
>> 12 package from epel to solve that or do we have to do other things
>> while we use postgres and epel repositories?
> This has been fixed already in GDAL 3.6.4-6 RPMs.
>
>> Btw. - why the epel guys do major upgrades of this library - isn't it
>> completely against the el way of things? Was this ever discussed with
>> the epel guys?
> RHEL also do such updates with LLVM and CLANG, already broke poppler and
> armadillo in the past, so my job is to rebuild the packages on our side
> when such updates are released.
>
> Regards,

mit freundlichen Grüßen

--