Re: armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel

От Holger Schiebold
Тема Re: armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi Devrim and thanks for the info,

the problem for us is i.e. on RHEL8 machines in the data center where
some times ago a former Version of postgis31_12
(postgis31_12-0:3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64) with dependency gdal34-libs was
installed - now the "yum update" in an automatic patchcycle fails
because gdal36-libs is not an update of gdal34-libs.
So we have to manually remove an all machines the gdal34-libs and
reinstall the postgis package with the alternativ dependency gdal36-libs
- right?

On RHEL9 same problem with i.e. older installs of
postgis31_12-0:3.1.7-1.rhel9.x86_64 - (yum deplist
postgis31_12-0:3.1.7-1.rhel9.x86_64 | grep gdal) - where gdal33-libs as
dependency came with it.
On RHEL9 i.e. we have machines with installed postgis30 too with only
dependency to gdal33-libs. There we cannot use postgis30 anymore - only
higher Versions as fresh installs. (this is normally not possible in a
specified production environment)

All manually tasks has to be done by a lot of different admins at each
stage in the data center (dev, test, int, prod)

So would it be possible to build alle the gdal3* alternatives (gdal33,
34, 35 ) too against the armadillo 12? Only in that case the next "yum
update" is not broken - we think. Otherwise these Versions and postgis30
in RHEL9 i.e. in the postgres yum repo must be considered as broken -
right?

best regards

Holger

Am 23.01.2024 um 20:22 schrieb Devrim Gündüz:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2024-01-23 at 14:54 +0100, Holger Schiebold wrote:
>> it seems that again armadillo major update in epel (this time from 10
>> to  12) breaks the gdal3* packages in postgres yum repos (RHEL 8 and
>> 9), so  we cannot use  certain packages from postgres el repositories
>> and yum  update on machines with both repositories is broken.
>>
>> Will there be builds of the gdal3*  packages against the new armadillo
>> 12 package from epel to solve that or do we have to do other things
>> while we use postgres and epel repositories?
> This has been fixed already in GDAL 3.6.4-6 RPMs.
>
>> Btw. - why the epel guys do major upgrades of this library - isn't it
>> completely against the el way of things? Was this ever discussed with
>> the epel guys?
> RHEL also do such updates with LLVM and CLANG, already broke poppler and
> armadillo in the past, so my job is to rebuild the packages on our side
> when such updates are released.
>
> Regards,

mit freundlichen Grüßen

--