Обсуждение: Should rolpassword be toastable?

Should rolpassword be toastable?

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
Hello hackers,

When playing with oversized tuples, I've found that it's possible to set
such oversized password for a user, that could not be validated.
For example:
SELECT format('CREATE ROLE test_user LOGIN PASSWORD ''SCRAM-SHA-256$' || repeat('0', 2000000) ||

'4096:NuDacwYSUxeOeFUEf3ivTQ==$Wgvq3OCYrJI6eUfvKlAzn4p/j3mzgWzXbVnWeFK1qhY=:r1qSP0j2QojCjLpFUjI0i6ckInvxJDKoyWnN3zF8WCM='';')
\gexec
-- the password is "pass"
(One can achieve the same result with a large salt size, for example, 2048.)

psql -U "test_user" -c "SELECT 1"
psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  cannot read pg_class without having
selected a database

I've tried to set attstorage = 'p' for the rolpassword attribute forcefully
by dirty hacking genbki.pl, and as a result I get an error on CREATE ROLE:
ERROR:  row is too big: size 2000256, maximum size 8160

Best regards,
Alexander

Re: Should rolpassword be toastable?

Дата:
Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
> When playing with oversized tuples, I've found that it's possible to set
> such oversized password for a user, that could not be validated.
> For example:
> psql -U "test_user" -c "SELECT 1"
> psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  cannot read pg_class without having
> selected a database

My inclination is to fix this by removing pg_authid's toast table.
I was not in favor of "let's attach a toast table to every catalog"
to begin with, and I think this failure graphically illustrates
why that was not as great an idea as some people thought.
I also don't think it's worth trying to make it really work.

I'm also now more than just slightly skeptical about whether
pg_database should have a toast table.  Has anybody tried,
say, storing a daticurules field wide enough to end up
out-of-line?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Should rolpassword be toastable?

От
Alexander Lakhin
Дата:
23.09.2023 17:39, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm also now more than just slightly skeptical about whether
> pg_database should have a toast table.  Has anybody tried,
> say, storing a daticurules field wide enough to end up
> out-of-line?

I tried, but failed, because pg_database accessed in InitPostgres() before
assigning MyDatabaseId only via the function GetDatabaseTupleByOid(),
which doesn't unpack the database tuple.
Another access to a system catalog with unassigned MyDatabaseId might occur
in the has_privs_of_role() call, but pg_auth_members contains no toastable
attributes.
So for now only pg_authid is worthy of condemnation, AFAICS.

Best regards,
Alexander