Re: Should rolpassword be toastable?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Should rolpassword be toastable?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
> When playing with oversized tuples, I've found that it's possible to set
> such oversized password for a user, that could not be validated.
> For example:
> psql -U "test_user" -c "SELECT 1"
> psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  cannot read pg_class without having
> selected a database

My inclination is to fix this by removing pg_authid's toast table.
I was not in favor of "let's attach a toast table to every catalog"
to begin with, and I think this failure graphically illustrates
why that was not as great an idea as some people thought.
I also don't think it's worth trying to make it really work.

I'm also now more than just slightly skeptical about whether
pg_database should have a toast table.  Has anybody tried,
say, storing a daticurules field wide enough to end up
out-of-line?