Обсуждение: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:

   https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/

   "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
    declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
    costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
million)."

Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
+ a decent vendor instead? :)

+ Justin

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Katherine Mcmillan
Attention : courriel externe | external email

Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:

   https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/

   "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
    declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
    costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
million)."

Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
+ a decent vendor instead? :)

+ Justin

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:
>
>    https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/
>
>    "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
>     declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
>     costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
> million)."
>
> Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
> + a decent vendor instead? :)

In fairness, that project is about Oracle Fusion, not the database. So
PG doesn't have a competing product. There are opensource ERP products
out there, but I'm not sure they're advanced enough to handle
something like that...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Dave Page

On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 09:23, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:
>
>    https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/
>
>    "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
>     declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
>     costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
> million)."
>
> Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
> + a decent vendor instead? :)

In fairness, that project is about Oracle Fusion, not the database. So
PG doesn't have a competing product. There are opensource ERP products
out there, but I'm not sure they're advanced enough to handle
something like that...

Indeed. It also only amounts for a fraction of the council's liabilities. The vast majority is from an equal pay judgement against them, which iirc, totals a couple of billion pounds (of which they've paid off over half in the last decade I believe).

So, yeah, the Oracle thing is a massive screw up. But it's not what caused the majority of their problems.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org

PGDay UK 2023, September 12, London: https://2023.pgday.uk

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Benjamin Scherrey
Дата:
Well a) the costs of the system (still undelivered) is 4x the initial contract ; and b) they've determined that the ERP was incapable of performing the functions of the contract because it orientation for manufacturing rather than HR. So not even Oracle has a competing product!

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023, 4:28 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 09:23, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:
>
>    https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/
>
>    "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
>     declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
>     costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
> million)."
>
> Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
> + a decent vendor instead? :)

In fairness, that project is about Oracle Fusion, not the database. So
PG doesn't have a competing product. There are opensource ERP products
out there, but I'm not sure they're advanced enough to handle
something like that...

Indeed. It also only amounts for a fraction of the council's liabilities. The vast majority is from an equal pay judgement against them, which iirc, totals a couple of billion pounds (of which they've paid off over half in the last decade I believe).

So, yeah, the Oracle thing is a massive screw up. But it's not what caused the majority of their problems.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org

PGDay UK 2023, September 12, London: https://2023.pgday.uk

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
An important lesson here is to always sit down with a client and understand their needs before selling an ERP.......

Well a) the costs of the system (still undelivered) is 4x the initial contract ; and b) they've determined that the ERP was incapable of performing the functions of the contract because it orientation for manufacturing rather than HR. So not even Oracle has a competing product!

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023, 4:28 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 09:23, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:
>
>    https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/
>
>    "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
>     declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
>     costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
> million)."
>
> Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
> + a decent vendor instead? :)

In fairness, that project is about Oracle Fusion, not the database. So
PG doesn't have a competing product. There are opensource ERP products
out there, but I'm not sure they're advanced enough to handle
something like that...

Indeed. It also only amounts for a fraction of the council's liabilities. The vast majority is from an equal pay judgement against them, which iirc, totals a couple of billion pounds (of which they've paid off over half in the last decade I believe).

So, yeah, the Oracle thing is a massive screw up. But it's not what caused the majority of their problems.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org

PGDay UK 2023, September 12, London: https://2023.pgday.uk

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Dave Page

An important lesson here is to always sit down with a client and understand their needs before selling an ERP.......

Meanwhile, there's a sales guy (well, team) somewhere feeling very happy about all the consulting hours they're booking and what their commission is going to be...

Well a) the costs of the system (still undelivered) is 4x the initial contract ; and b) they've determined that the ERP was incapable of performing the functions of the contract because it orientation for manufacturing rather than HR. So not even Oracle has a competing product!

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023, 4:28 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 09:23, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Heh Heh Heh.  This is pretty funny:
>
>    https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/05/birmingham_city_council_oracle/
>
>    "Birmingham City Council, the largest local authority in Europe, has
>     declared itself in financial distress after troubled Oracle project
>     costs ballooned from £20 million to around £100 million ($125.5
> million)."
>
> Wonder if they'll make the smart choice next time around, and choose PG
> + a decent vendor instead? :)

In fairness, that project is about Oracle Fusion, not the database. So
PG doesn't have a competing product. There are opensource ERP products
out there, but I'm not sure they're advanced enough to handle
something like that...

Indeed. It also only amounts for a fraction of the council's liabilities. The vast majority is from an equal pay judgement against them, which iirc, totals a couple of billion pounds (of which they've paid off over half in the last decade I believe).

So, yeah, the Oracle thing is a massive screw up. But it's not what caused the majority of their problems.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org

PGDay UK 2023, September 12, London: https://2023.pgday.uk

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL: https://www.postgresql.org

PGDay UK 2023, September 12, London: https://2023.pgday.uk

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 9/7/23 02:49, Chris Travers wrote:
> An important lesson here is to always sit down with a client and
> understand their needs before selling an ERP.......

Unless you have a legal department that will run the customer into the
ground with litigation. In a somewhat related case:

https://www.doj.state.or.us/media-home/news-media-releases/oregon-oracle-reach-settlement-worth-more-than-100-million-in-it-modernization-and-other-benefits/

Where Oracle ended settling by paying ~$35 million in cash and ~$60
million in credits for a failed project with the state of Oregon that
they collected $240 million for.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Birmingham City Council chose Oracle, went broke because of it ;)

От
Masa O
Дата:
If civil servants adopt the age-old pay-for-value strategy, the “zero-failure ERP implementation strategy”, citizens will only lose very little:

1. Let the city's own IT staff implement the project.

2. They hire only one consultant to train these IT people in all the necessary skills to implement their project with a decent ERP development and execution framework powered by PostgreSQL to implement their projects. City consulates will try to limit overall training days to 5 days unless their IT staff does not have PostgreSQL, basic accounting, and large database design skills.

3. If the majority of IT staff or end users are not satisfied with the above ERP framework during implementation, City Consul will not purchase the ERP framework.