Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Attached is the first draft of the PostgreSQL 16 release announcement,
authored by Chelsea Dole & myself.

To frame this up, the goal of the GA release announcement is to help
folks discover the awesome new features of PostgreSQL. It's impossible
to list out every single feature in the release and still have a
coherent announcement, so we try to target features that have the
broadest range of impact.

It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so please
provide feedback if we did so.

(Note I have not added in all of the links etc. to the Markdown yet, as
I want to wait for the first pass of feedback to come through).

**Please provide feedback by August 26, 12:00 UTC**. After that point,
we need to freeze all changes so we can begin the release announcement
translation effort.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 19 Aug 2023, at 21:39, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so please provide feedback if we did so.

Nitpick, but the Linux downloads can have a download/linux link as well to
match Windows/macOS:

   [Windows](https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/),
   [Linux](https://www.postgresql.org/download/),
   [macOS](https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/),

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

От
Dave Cramer

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 05:32, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2023, at 21:39, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so please provide feedback if we did so.

What does the improvements to access control have to do with large work loads ?

Dave Cramer

Re: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 8/21/23 7:07 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 05:32, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se
> <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
>
>      > On 19 Aug 2023, at 21:39, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
>     <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>      > It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so
>     please provide feedback if we did so.
>

> What does the improvements to access control have to do with large work
> loads ?

This took me a moment to realize what you were referring to because you
didn't provide the sentence in question.

The theme is built around the changes in the host configuration files
that allow for regular expressions and includes, which, from discussing
with users, benefits people who are managing larger fleets of PostgreSQL.

That said, I see the confusion around the wording. I've changed it to
this below, and attached the latest copy based on other feedback.

==snip==
and greater flexibility in
defining access control rules for management of policies across large
fleets.
==snip==

Reminder that the window to submit changes closes at **August 26, 12:00
UTC**.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 16 release announcement

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le 19/08/2023 à 21:39, Jonathan S. Katz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Attached is the first draft of the PostgreSQL 16 release announcement,
> authored by Chelsea Dole & myself.
>
> To frame this up, the goal of the GA release announcement is to help
> folks discover the awesome new features of PostgreSQL. It's impossible
> to list out every single feature in the release and still have a
> coherent announcement, so we try to target features that have the
> broadest range of impact.
>
> It's possible we missed or incorrectly stated something, so please
> provide feedback if we did so.

In "performance" section:

« It also introduces `RIGHT` and `OUTER` "anti-joins", which enable
users to identify rows not present in a joined table.»

It's a bit confusing for me: is it about the planner improvements or
there is something else ?

---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL Expertise, Support, Training, R&D