Обсуждение: Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/external-pl.html

The documentation [1] contains a list of independently maintained procedural
languages. Recently, PL/Rust [2] has reached its version 1.0 [3] and appears
to be stable.

Major companies have expressed interest in the extension. Kiwi Copple, the
founder of Supabase, has stated his company is researching the language for
his platform [4]. Meanwhile, Amazon's RDS team has already announced support
for PL/Rust as a trusted language extension [5] on their PostgreSQL
instances [6].

Considering the increasing support and stability for PL/Rust, it should be
referenced within Postgresql's docs [1].

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/external-pl.html
[2] https://tcdi.github.io/plrust/plrust.html
[3]
https://github.com/tcdi/plrust/pull/277/commits/a10352b2461276cffdc2d6bf1fe0340143203125
[4] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35501065
[5]
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/PostgreSQL_trusted_language_extension.html
[6]
https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2023/05/amazon-rds-postgresql-rust/

Re: Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
On 8/11/23 2:46 PM, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/external-pl.html
>
> The documentation [1] contains a list of independently maintained procedural
> languages. Recently, PL/Rust [2] has reached its version 1.0 [3] and appears
> to be stable.
>
> Major companies have expressed interest in the extension. Kiwi Copple, the
> founder of Supabase, has stated his company is researching the language for
> his platform [4]. Meanwhile, Amazon's RDS team has already announced support
> for PL/Rust as a trusted language extension [5] on their PostgreSQL
> instances [6].
>
> Considering the increasing support and stability for PL/Rust, it should be
> referenced within Postgresql's docs [1].

There's an up-to-date list of the different PL's in on this page in the
wiki:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PL_Matrix

Similar to this thread[1], I wonder if we just link to the wiki from the
documentation, given it will be easier to maintain the list from there.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/169165415312.635.10247434927885764880%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

Вложения

Re: Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

Дата:
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 05:05:48PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On 8/11/23 2:46 PM, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/external-pl.html
> >
> > The documentation [1] contains a list of independently maintained procedural
> > languages. Recently, PL/Rust [2] has reached its version 1.0 [3] and appears
> > to be stable.
> >
> > Major companies have expressed interest in the extension. Kiwi Copple, the
> > founder of Supabase, has stated his company is researching the language for
> > his platform [4]. Meanwhile, Amazon's RDS team has already announced support
> > for PL/Rust as a trusted language extension [5] on their PostgreSQL
> > instances [6].
> >
> > Considering the increasing support and stability for PL/Rust, it should be
> > referenced within Postgresql's docs [1].
>
> There's an up-to-date list of the different PL's in on this page in the
> wiki:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PL_Matrix
>
> Similar to this thread[1], I wonder if we just link to the wiki from the
> documentation, given it will be easier to maintain the list from there.

Makes sense.

Re: Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 8/12/23 12:45 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 05:05:48PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> On 8/11/23 2:46 PM, PG Doc comments form wrote:

>>> Considering the increasing support and stability for PL/Rust, it should be
>>> referenced within Postgresql's docs [1].
>>
>> There's an up-to-date list of the different PL's in on this page in the
>> wiki:
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PL_Matrix
>>
>> Similar to this thread[1], I wonder if we just link to the wiki from the
>> documentation, given it will be easier to maintain the list from there.
>
> Makes sense.

Please see attached patch that does exactly this. It follows similar
semantics as [1].

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/169165415312.635.10247434927885764880%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

Вложения

Re: Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 22 Aug 2023, at 05:35, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 8/12/23 12:45 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> There's an up-to-date list of the different PL's in on this page in the
>>> wiki:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PL_Matrix
>>>
>>> Similar to this thread[1], I wonder if we just link to the wiki from the
>>> documentation, given it will be easier to maintain the list from there.
>> Makes sense.
>
> Please see attached patch that does exactly this. It follows similar semantics as [1].

LGTM, let's apply it along with the patch in [1] to all branches.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Include rust as an externally maintained procedural language

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 8/22/23 3:24 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 22 Aug 2023, at 05:35, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

>>> Makes sense.
>>
>> Please see attached patch that does exactly this. It follows similar semantics as [1].
>
> LGTM, let's apply it along with the patch in [1] to all branches.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Вложения