Обсуждение: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/history.html

In https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/history.html it is written "With
over two decades of development behind it".
But since "The implementation of POSTGRES began in 1986" according to the
same document, it should now be "With over three decades of development
behind it".

Regards,
Pierre

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 07:36:46AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/history.html

> In https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/history.html it is written "With
> over two decades of development behind it".
> But since "The implementation of POSTGRES began in 1986" according to the
> same document, it should now be "With over three decades of development
> behind it".

You are _totally_ correct.  Attached patch applied back to PG 11.  Seems
we will need to change this to "four" in a few years too.

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
Kirk Parker
> over two decades of development behind it".
> But since "The implementation of POSTGRES began in 1986" according to the
> same document, it should now be "With over three decades of development
> behind it".

You are _totally_ correct.  Attached patch applied back to PG 11.  Seems
we will need to change this to "four" in a few years too.

I don't suppose DocBook has macro and system-variable capabilities? That could provide a set-and-forget solution to this?

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

Дата:
On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 01:47:16PM -0700, Kirk Parker wrote:
>     > The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>     >
>     > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/history.html
>     >
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > In https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/history.html it is written
>     "With
>     > over two decades of development behind it".
>     > But since "The implementation of POSTGRES began in 1986" according to the
>     > same document, it should now be "With over three decades of development
>     > behind it".
>
>     You are _totally_ correct.  Attached patch applied back to PG 11.  Seems
>     we will need to change this to "four" in a few years too.
>

> I don't suppose DocBook has macro and system-variable capabilities? That could
> provide a set-and-forget solution to this?

Uh, I am not aware of any.

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 22/06/2023 23:00 CEST Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 01:47:16PM -0700, Kirk Parker wrote:
> >
> > I don't suppose DocBook has macro and system-variable capabilities? That
> > could provide a set-and-forget solution to this?
>
> Uh, I am not aware of any.

An SGML entity [0] or an xsltproc stringparam [1] looks viable.  Question is
how to calculate the number of decades in the Makefile.  It's trivial in SQL :)

    =# select extract(decade from now()) - extract(decade from date '1986-01-01');
     ?column?
    ----------
            4
    (1 row)

    =# select extract(day from now() - date '1986-01-01') / 365.25 / 10;
          ?column?
    --------------------
     3.7472963723477071
    (1 row)

[0]
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=doc/src/sgml/Makefile;h=71cbef230f34a6ad6b41a667c7d2977fb6560378;hb=HEAD#l98
[1]
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=doc/src/sgml/Makefile;h=71cbef230f34a6ad6b41a667c7d2977fb6560378;hb=HEAD#l56

--
Erik

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 03:17:26AM +0200, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> An SGML entity [0] or an xsltproc stringparam [1] looks viable.  Question is
> how to calculate the number of decades in the Makefile.  It's trivial in SQL :)

-  University of California at Berkeley.  With over two decades of
+  University of California at Berkeley.  With over three decades of
   development behind it, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> is now
   the most advanced open-source database available anywhere.

Seeing what has been committed, I don't think that such complications
are necessary if this sentence is reworded without numbers.  For
instance:
"With multiple decades of development behind it, PostgreSQL.."

My 2c.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

Дата:
> "With multiple decades of development behind it, PostgreSQL.."

+1.  It sure seems silly trying to automate changing this.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 6/22/23 9:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
>> "With multiple decades of development behind it, PostgreSQL.."
>
> +1.  It sure seems silly trying to automate changing this.

+1. With the proposed language, we can revisit it once it gets to
"centuries."

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

Дата:
On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 10:01:45PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On 6/22/23 9:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
> > > "With multiple decades of development behind it, PostgreSQL.."
> >
> > +1.  It sure seems silly trying to automate changing this.
>
> +1. With the proposed language, we can revisit it once it gets to
> "centuries."

Applied patch is "With decades of development".

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 10:50:20PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Applied patch is "With decades of development".

Thanks.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Change "two" to "three" for decades of development in history

От
Pantelis Theodosiou

On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 3:50 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 10:01:45PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On 6/22/23 9:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
> > > "With multiple decades of development behind it, PostgreSQL.."
> >
> > +1.  It sure seems silly trying to automate changing this.
>
> +1. With the proposed language, we can revisit it once it gets to
> "centuries."

Applied patch is "With decades of development".

+10 :)