Обсуждение: Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
(moving to hackers)

On 6/12/23 05:13, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 22:28, Joe Conway wrote:

>>> As far as I can tell it really only affects localeconv(), so I tried to
>>> place it close to those. But I am fine with moving it up.
>>
>> This version is against pg16 (rather than pg10), moves up that hunk,
>> mentions localeconv() in the comment as the reason for the call, and
>> fixes some whitespace sloppiness. I will plan to apply to all supported
>> branches.
>>
>> Better?
>
> The man page for uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE) says: "The calling thread's
> current locale is set to the global locale determined by setlocale(3)."
> Does that undo the effect of calling uselocale() previously, so if you
> later call setlocale(), the new locale takes effect in the thread too?
> Or is it equivalent to "uselocale(LC_ALL, setlocale(NULL))", so that it
> sets the thread's locale to the current global locale, but later
> setlocale() calls have no effect on it?

setlocale() changes the global locale, but uselocale() changes the
locale that is currently active, as I understand it.

Also note that uselocale man page says "Unlike setlocale(3), uselocale()
does not allow selective replacement of individual locale  categories.
To employ a locale that differs in only a few categories from the
current locale, use calls to duplocale(3) and newlocale(3) to obtain a
locale object equivalent to the current locale and modify the desired
categories in that object."

> In any case, this still doesn't feel like the right place. We have many
> more setlocale() calls. Shouldn't we sprinkle them all with
> uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)? cache_locale_time() for example. Or rather,
> all the places where we use any functions that depend on the current locale.
>
> How about we replace all setlocale() calls with uselocale()?

I don't see us backpatching something that invasive. It might be the
right thing to do for pg17, or even pg16, but I think that is a
different discussion

> Shouldn't we restore the old thread-specific locale after the calls? I'm
> not sure why libperl calls uselocale(), but we are now overwriting the
> locale that it sets.

That is a good question. Though arguably perl is doing the wrong thing
by not resetting the global locale when it is being used embedded.

> We have a few other uselocale() calls in pg_locale.c, and we take
> care to restore the old locale in those.

I think as long as we are relying on setlocale rather than uselocale in
general (see above), the global locale is where we want things left.

> There are a few uselocale() calls in ecpg, and they are protected by
> HAVE_USELOCALE. Interestingly, the calls in pg_locale.c are not, but
> they are protected by HAVE_LOCALE_T. Seems a little inconsistent.

Possibly something we should clean up, but I think that is separate from
this fix.

In general I think we have 2 or possibly three distinct things here:

1/ how do we fix the misbehavior reported due to libperl in existing
stable branches

2/ what makes most sense going forward (and does that mean pg16 or pg17)

3/ misc code cleanups

I was mostly trying to concentrate on #1, but 2 & 3 are worthy of
discussion.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 6/12/23 10:44, Joe Conway wrote:
> 1/ how do we fix the misbehavior reported due to libperl in existing
> stable branches

<snip>

> I was mostly trying to concentrate on #1, but 2 & 3 are worthy of
> discussion.

Hmm, browsing through the perl source I came across a reference to this
(from https://perldoc.perl.org/perllocale):

---------------
PERL_SKIP_LOCALE_INIT

     This environment variable, available starting in Perl v5.20, if set
(to any value), tells Perl to not use the rest of the environment
variables to initialize with. Instead, Perl uses whatever the current
locale settings are. This is particularly useful in embedded
environments, see "Using embedded Perl with POSIX locales" in perlembed.
---------------

Seems we ought to be using that.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 6/12/23 17:28, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 6/12/23 10:44, Joe Conway wrote:
>> 1/ how do we fix the misbehavior reported due to libperl in existing
>> stable branches
>
> <snip>
>
>> I was mostly trying to concentrate on #1, but 2 & 3 are worthy of
>> discussion.
>
> Hmm, browsing through the perl source I came across a reference to this
> (from https://perldoc.perl.org/perllocale):
>
> ---------------
> PERL_SKIP_LOCALE_INIT
>
>       This environment variable, available starting in Perl v5.20, if set
> (to any value), tells Perl to not use the rest of the environment
> variables to initialize with. Instead, Perl uses whatever the current
> locale settings are. This is particularly useful in embedded
> environments, see "Using embedded Perl with POSIX locales" in perlembed.
> ---------------
>
> Seems we ought to be using that.

Turns out that that does nothing useful as far as I can tell.

So I am back to proposing the attached against pg16beta1, to be
backpatched to pg11.

Since much of the discussion happened on pgsql-bugs, the background
summary for hackers is this:

When plperl is first loaded, the init function eventually works its way
to calling Perl_init_i18nl10n(). In versions of perl >= 5.20, that ends
up at S_emulate_setlocale() which does a series of uselocale() calls.
For reference, RHEL 7 is perl 5.16.3 while RHEL 9 is perl 5.32.1. Older
versions of perl do not have this behavior.

The problem with uselocale() is that it changes the active locale away
from the default global locale. Subsequent uses of setlocale() affect
the global locale, but if that is not the active locale, it does not
control the results of locale dependent functions such as localeconv(),
which is what we depend on in PGLC_localeconv().

The result is illustrated in this example:
8<------------
psql test
psql (16beta1)
Type "help" for help.

test=# show lc_monetary;
  lc_monetary
-------------
  en_GB.UTF-8
(1 row)

test=# SELECT 12.34::money AS price;
  price
--------
  £12.34
(1 row)

test=# \q
8<------------
psql test
psql (16beta1)
Type "help" for help.

test=# load 'plperl';
LOAD
test=# show lc_monetary;
  lc_monetary
-------------
  en_GB.UTF-8
(1 row)

test=# SELECT 12.34::money AS price;
  price
--------
  $12.34
(1 row)
8<------------

Notice that merely loading plperl makes the currency symbol wrong.

I have proposed a targeted fix that I believe is safe to backpatch --
attached.

IIUC, Tom was +1, but Heikki was looking for a more general solution.

My issue with the more general solution is that it will likely be too
invasive to backpatch, and at the moment at least, there are no other
confirmed bugs related to all of this (even if the current code is more
fragile than we would prefer).

I would like to commit this to all supported branches in the next few
days, unless there are other suggestions or objections.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 18/06/2023 21:27, Joe Conway wrote:
> I have proposed a targeted fix that I believe is safe to backpatch --
> attached.
>
> IIUC, Tom was +1, but Heikki was looking for a more general solution.
>
> My issue with the more general solution is that it will likely be too
> invasive to backpatch, and at the moment at least, there are no other
> confirmed bugs related to all of this (even if the current code is more
> fragile than we would prefer).

Ok, I agree switching to uselocale() everywhere is too much to
backpatch. We should consider it for master though.

With the patch you're proposing, do we now have a coding rule that you
must call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" before every and any call to
setlocale()? If so, you missed a few spots: pg_perm_setlocale,
pg_bind_textdomain_codeset, and cache_locale_time.

The current locale affects a lot of other things than localeconv()
calls. For example, LC_MESSAGES affects all strerror() calls. Do we need
to call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" before all possible strerror()
calls too?

I think we should call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" immediately after
returning from the perl interpreter, instead of before setlocale()
calls, if we want all Postgres code to run with the global locale. Not
sure how much performance overhead that would have.

I just found out about perl's "switch_to_global_locale" function
(https://perldoc.perl.org/perlapi#switch_to_global_locale). Should we
use that?

Testing the patch, I bumped into this:

postgres=# create or replace function finnish_to_number() returns
numeric as $$ select to_number('1,23', '9D99'); $$ language sql set
lc_numeric to 'fi_FI.utf8';
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# DO LANGUAGE 'plperlu' $$
use POSIX qw(setlocale LC_NUMERIC);
use locale;

setlocale LC_NUMERIC, "fi_FI.utf8";

$n = 5/2;   # Assign numeric 2.5 to $n

spi_exec_query('SELECT finnish_to_number()');

$a = " $n"; # Locale-dependent conversion to string
elog(NOTICE, "half five is $n");       # Locale-dependent output
$$;
NOTICE:  half five is 2,5
DO
postgres=# select to_char(now(), 'Day');
WARNING:  could not determine encoding for locale "en_GB.UTF-8": codeset
is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
   to_char
-----------
  Tuesday
(1 row)

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 6/19/23 19:30, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 18/06/2023 21:27, Joe Conway wrote:
>> I have proposed a targeted fix that I believe is safe to backpatch --
>> attached.
>>
>> IIUC, Tom was +1, but Heikki was looking for a more general solution.
>>
>> My issue with the more general solution is that it will likely be too
>> invasive to backpatch, and at the moment at least, there are no other
>> confirmed bugs related to all of this (even if the current code is more
>> fragile than we would prefer).
>
> Ok, I agree switching to uselocale() everywhere is too much to
> backpatch. We should consider it for master though.

Makes sense

> With the patch you're proposing, do we now have a coding rule that you
> must call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" before every and any call to
> setlocale()? If so, you missed a few spots: pg_perm_setlocale,
> pg_bind_textdomain_codeset, and cache_locale_time.

Well I was not proposing such a rule (trying to stay narrowly focused on
the demonstrated issue) but I suppose it might make sense. Anywhere we
use setlocale() we are depending on subsequent locale operations to use
the global locale. And uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE) itself looks like it
ought to be pretty cheap.

> The current locale affects a lot of other things than localeconv()
> calls. For example, LC_MESSAGES affects all strerror() calls. Do we need
> to call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" before all possible strerror()
> calls too?

That seems heavy handed

> I think we should call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" immediately after
> returning from the perl interpreter, instead of before setlocale()
> calls, if we want all Postgres code to run with the global locale. Not
> sure how much performance overhead that would have.

I don't see how that is practical, or at least it does not really
address the issue. I think any loaded shared library could cause the
same problem by running newlocale() + uselocale() on init. Perhaps I
should go test that theory though.

> I just found out about perl's "switch_to_global_locale" function
> (https://perldoc.perl.org/perlapi#switch_to_global_locale). Should we
> use that?

Maybe, although it does not seem to exist on the older perl version on
RHEL7. And same comment as above -- while it might solve the problem
with libperl, it doesn't address similar problems with other loaded
shared libraries.

> Testing the patch, I bumped into this:
>
> postgres=# create or replace function finnish_to_number() returns
> numeric as $$ select to_number('1,23', '9D99'); $$ language sql set
> lc_numeric to 'fi_FI.utf8';
> CREATE FUNCTION
> postgres=# DO LANGUAGE 'plperlu' $$
> use POSIX qw(setlocale LC_NUMERIC);
> use locale;
>
> setlocale LC_NUMERIC, "fi_FI.utf8";
>
> $n = 5/2;   # Assign numeric 2.5 to $n
>
> spi_exec_query('SELECT finnish_to_number()');
>
> $a = " $n"; # Locale-dependent conversion to string
> elog(NOTICE, "half five is $n");       # Locale-dependent output
> $$;
> NOTICE:  half five is 2,5
> DO
> postgres=# select to_char(now(), 'Day');
> WARNING:  could not determine encoding for locale "en_GB.UTF-8": codeset
> is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
>     to_char
> -----------
>    Tuesday
> (1 row)

Do you think that is because uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE) pulls out the
rug from under perl?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 21/06/2023 01:02, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 6/19/23 19:30, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 18/06/2023 21:27, Joe Conway wrote:
>> With the patch you're proposing, do we now have a coding rule that you
>> must call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" before every and any call to
>> setlocale()? If so, you missed a few spots: pg_perm_setlocale,
>> pg_bind_textdomain_codeset, and cache_locale_time.
>
> Well I was not proposing such a rule (trying to stay narrowly focused on
> the demonstrated issue) but I suppose it might make sense. Anywhere we
> use setlocale() we are depending on subsequent locale operations to use
> the global locale. And uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE) itself looks like it
> ought to be pretty cheap.
>
>> The current locale affects a lot of other things than localeconv()
>> calls. For example, LC_MESSAGES affects all strerror() calls. Do we need
>> to call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" before all possible strerror()
>> calls too?
>
> That seems heavy handed

Yet I think that's exactly where this is heading. See this case (for
gettext() rather than strerror()):

postgres=# set lc_messages ='sv_SE.UTF8';
SET
postgres=# this prints syntax error in Swedish;
FEL:  syntaxfel vid eller nära "this"
LINE 1: this prints syntax error in Swedish;
         ^
postgres=# load 'plperl';
LOAD
postgres=# set lc_messages ='en_GB.utf8';
SET
postgres=# this *should* print syntax error in English;
FEL:  syntaxfel vid eller nära "this"
LINE 1: this *should* print syntax error in English;
         ^

>> I think we should call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" immediately after
>> returning from the perl interpreter, instead of before setlocale()
>> calls, if we want all Postgres code to run with the global locale. Not
>> sure how much performance overhead that would have.
>
> I don't see how that is practical, or at least it does not really
> address the issue. I think any loaded shared library could cause the
> same problem by running newlocale() + uselocale() on init. Perhaps I
> should go test that theory though.

Any shared library could do that, that's true. Any shared library could
also call 'chdir'. But most shared libraries don't. I think it's the
responsibility of the extension that loads the shared library, plperl in
this case, to make sure it doesn't mess up the environment for the
postgres backend.

>> Testing the patch, I bumped into this:
>>
>> postgres=# create or replace function finnish_to_number() returns
>> numeric as $$ select to_number('1,23', '9D99'); $$ language sql set
>> lc_numeric to 'fi_FI.utf8';
>> CREATE FUNCTION
>> postgres=# DO LANGUAGE 'plperlu' $$
>> use POSIX qw(setlocale LC_NUMERIC);
>> use locale;
>>
>> setlocale LC_NUMERIC, "fi_FI.utf8";
>>
>> $n = 5/2;   # Assign numeric 2.5 to $n
>>
>> spi_exec_query('SELECT finnish_to_number()');
>>
>> $a = " $n"; # Locale-dependent conversion to string
>> elog(NOTICE, "half five is $n");       # Locale-dependent output
>> $$;
>> NOTICE:  half five is 2,5
>> DO
>> postgres=# select to_char(now(), 'Day');
>> WARNING:  could not determine encoding for locale "en_GB.UTF-8": codeset
>> is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
>>      to_char
>> -----------
>>     Tuesday
>> (1 row)
>
> Do you think that is because uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE) pulls out the
> rug from under perl?

libperl is fine in this case. But cache_locale_time() also calls
setlocale(), and your patch didn't add the "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)"
there.

It's a valid concern that "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" could pull the
rug from under perl. I tried to find issues like that, by calling
locale-dependent functions in plperl, with SQL functions that call
"uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" via PGLC_localeconv() in between. But I
couldn't find any case where the perl code would misbehave. I guess
libperl calls uselocale() before any locale-dependent function, but I
didn't look very closely.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 6/22/23 03:26, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 21/06/2023 01:02, Joe Conway wrote:
>> On 6/19/23 19:30, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> I think we should call "uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)" immediately after
>>> returning from the perl interpreter, instead of before setlocale()
>>> calls, if we want all Postgres code to run with the global locale. Not
>>> sure how much performance overhead that would have.
>>
>> I don't see how that is practical, or at least it does not really
>> address the issue. I think any loaded shared library could cause the
>> same problem by running newlocale() + uselocale() on init. Perhaps I
>> should go test that theory though.
>
> Any shared library could do that, that's true. Any shared library could
> also call 'chdir'. But most shared libraries don't. I think it's the
> responsibility of the extension that loads the shared library, plperl in
> this case, to make sure it doesn't mess up the environment for the
> postgres backend.
Ok, fair enough.

The attached fixes all of the issues raised on this thread by
specifically patching plperl.

8<------------
create or replace function finnish_to_number()
returns numeric as
$$
   select to_number('1,23', '9D99')
$$ language sql set lc_numeric to 'fi_FI.utf8';

pl_regression=# show lc_monetary;
  lc_monetary
-------------
(1 row)

DO LANGUAGE 'plperlu'
$$
   use POSIX qw(setlocale LC_NUMERIC);
   use locale;
   setlocale LC_NUMERIC, "fi_FI.utf8";
   $n = 5/2;   # Assign numeric 2.5 to $n
   spi_exec_query('SELECT finnish_to_number()');
   # Locale-dependent conversion to string
   $a = " $n";
   # Locale-dependent output
   elog(NOTICE, "half five is $n");
$$;
NOTICE:  half five is 2,5
DO

set lc_messages ='sv_SE.UTF8';
this prints syntax error in Swedish;
FEL:  syntaxfel vid eller nära "this"
LINE 1: this prints syntax error in Swedish;
         ^

set lc_messages ='en_GB.utf8';
this *should* print syntax error in English;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "this"
LINE 1: this *should* print syntax error in English;
         ^
set lc_monetary ='sv_SE.UTF8';
SELECT 12.34::money AS price;
   price
----------
  12,34 kr
(1 row)

set lc_monetary ='en_GB.UTF8';
SELECT 12.34::money AS price;
  price
--------
  £12.34
(1 row)

set lc_monetary ='en_US.UTF8';
SELECT 12.34::money AS price;
  price
--------
  $12.34
(1 row)
8<------------

This works correctly from what I can see -- tested against pg16beta1 on
Linux Mint with perl v5.34.0 as well as against pg15.2 on RHEL 7 with
perl v5.16.3.

Although I have not looked yet, presumably we could have similar
problems with plpython. I would like to get agreement on this approach
against plperl before diving into that though.

Thoughts?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
"Tristan Partin"
Дата:
On Sat Jun 24, 2023 at 8:09 AM CDT, Joe Conway wrote:
> Although I have not looked yet, presumably we could have similar
> problems with plpython. I would like to get agreement on this approach
> against plperl before diving into that though.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't see anything immediately wrong with this. I think doing a
similar thing for plpython would make sense. Might make sense to CC any
other pl* maintainers too.

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/3/23 12:25, Tristan Partin wrote:
> On Sat Jun 24, 2023 at 8:09 AM CDT, Joe Conway wrote:
>> Although I have not looked yet, presumably we could have similar
>> problems with plpython. I would like to get agreement on this approach
>> against plperl before diving into that though.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I don't see anything immediately wrong with this. I think doing a
> similar thing for plpython would make sense. Might make sense to CC any
> other pl* maintainers too.

In our tree there are only plperl and plpython to worry about.

"other pl* maintainers" is a fuzzy concept since other pl's are
scattered far and wide.

I think it is reasonable to expect such maintainers to be paying
attention to hackers and pick up on it themselves (I say that as a pl
maintainer myself -- plr)

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/3/23 12:25, Tristan Partin wrote:
> On Sat Jun 24, 2023 at 8:09 AM CDT, Joe Conway wrote:
>> Although I have not looked yet, presumably we could have similar
>> problems with plpython. I would like to get agreement on this approach
>> against plperl before diving into that though.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I don't see anything immediately wrong with this.

Any further comments on the posted patch[1]? I would like to apply/push
this prior to the beta and minor releases next week.

Joe

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ec6fa20d-e691-198a-4a13-e761771b9dec%40joeconway.com

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
"Tristan Partin"
Дата:
On Tue Aug 1, 2023 at 8:48 AM CDT, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 7/3/23 12:25, Tristan Partin wrote:
> > On Sat Jun 24, 2023 at 8:09 AM CDT, Joe Conway wrote:
> >> Although I have not looked yet, presumably we could have similar
> >> problems with plpython. I would like to get agreement on this approach
> >> against plperl before diving into that though.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I don't see anything immediately wrong with this.
>
> Any further comments on the posted patch[1]? I would like to apply/push
> this prior to the beta and minor releases next week.
>
> Joe
>
> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ec6fa20d-e691-198a-4a13-e761771b9dec%40joeconway.com

None from my end.

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 01/08/2023 16:48, Joe Conway wrote:
> Any further comments on the posted patch[1]? I would like to apply/push
> this prior to the beta and minor releases next week.

I'm not sure about the placement of the uselocale() calls. In
plperl_spi_exec(), for example, I think we should switch to the global
locale right after the check_spi_usage_allowed() call. Otherwise, if an
error happens in BeginInternalSubTransaction() or in pg_verifymbstr(),
the error would be processed with the perl locale. Maybe that's
harmless, error processing hardly cares about LC_MONETARY, but seems
wrong in principle.

Hmm, come to think of it, if BeginInternalSubTransaction() throws an
error, we just jump out of the perl interpreter? That doesn't seem cool.
But that's not new with this patch.

If I'm reading correctly, compile_plperl_function() calls
select_perl_context(), which calls plperl_trusted_init(), which calls
uselocale(). So it leaves locale set to the perl locale. Who sets it back?

How about adding a small wrapper around eval_pl() that sets and unsets
the locale(), just when we enter the interpreter? It's easier to see
that we are doing the calls in right places, if we make them as close as
possible to entering/exiting the interpreter. Are there other functions
in addition to eval_pl() that need to be called with the perl locale?

> /*
>  * plperl_xact_callback --- cleanup at main-transaction end.
>  */
> static void
> plperl_xact_callback(XactEvent event, void *arg)
> {
>     /* ensure global locale is the current locale */
>     if (uselocale((locale_t) 0) != LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)
>         perl_locale_obj = uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE);
> }

So the assumption is that the if current locale is not LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE,
then it was the perl locale. Seems true today, but this could confusion
if anything else calls uselocale(). In particular, if another PL
implementation copies this, and you use plperl and the other PL at the
same time, they would get mixed up. I think we need another "bool
perl_locale_obj_in_use" variable to track explicitly whether the perl
locale is currently active.

If we are careful to put the uselocale() calls in the right places so
that we never ereport() while in perl locale, this callback isn't
needed. Maybe it's still a good idea, though, to be extra sure that
things get reset to a sane state if something unexpected happens.

If multiple interpreters are used, is the single perl_locale_obj
variable still enough? Each interpreter can have their own locale I believe.

PS. please pgindent

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 8/15/23 10:40, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 01/08/2023 16:48, Joe Conway wrote:
>> Any further comments on the posted patch[1]? I would like to apply/push
>> this prior to the beta and minor releases next week.
>
> I'm not sure about the placement of the uselocale() calls. In
> plperl_spi_exec(), for example, I think we should switch to the global
> locale right after the check_spi_usage_allowed() call. Otherwise, if an
> error happens in BeginInternalSubTransaction() or in pg_verifymbstr(),
> the error would be processed with the perl locale. Maybe that's
> harmless, error processing hardly cares about LC_MONETARY, but seems
> wrong in principle.

I guess you could probably argue that we should flip this around, and
only enter the perl locale when calling into libperl, and exit the perl
locale every time we reemerge under plperl.c control. That seems pretty
drastic and potentially messy though.

> Hmm, come to think of it, if BeginInternalSubTransaction() throws an
> error, we just jump out of the perl interpreter? That doesn't seem cool.
> But that's not new with this patch.

Hmm, true enough I guess.

> If I'm reading correctly, compile_plperl_function() calls
> select_perl_context(), which calls plperl_trusted_init(), which calls
> uselocale(). So it leaves locale set to the perl locale. Who sets it back?

No one does it seems, at least not currently

> How about adding a small wrapper around eval_pl() that sets and unsets
> the locale(), just when we enter the interpreter? It's easier to see
> that we are doing the calls in right places, if we make them as close as
> possible to entering/exiting the interpreter. Are there other functions
> in addition to eval_pl() that need to be called with the perl locale?

I can see that as a better strategy, but "other functions in addition to
eval_pv()" (I assume you mean eval_pv rather than eval_pl) is a tricky
one to answer.

I ran the attached script like so (from cwd src/pl/plperl) like so:
```
symbols-used.sh /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libperl.so.5.34 plperl.so
```
and get a fairly long list of exported libperl functions that get linked
into plperl.so:

```
Matched symbols:
boot_DynaLoader
perl_alloc
Perl_av_extend
Perl_av_fetch
Perl_av_len
Perl_av_push
*Perl_call_list
*Perl_call_pv
*Perl_call_sv
perl_construct
Perl_croak
Perl_croak_nocontext
Perl_croak_sv
Perl_croak_xs_usage
Perl_die
*Perl_eval_pv
Perl_free_tmps
Perl_get_sv
Perl_gv_add_by_type
Perl_gv_stashpv
Perl_hv_clear
Perl_hv_common
Perl_hv_common_key_len
Perl_hv_iterinit
Perl_hv_iternext
Perl_hv_iternext_flags
Perl_hv_iternextsv
Perl_hv_ksplit
Perl_looks_like_number
Perl_markstack_grow
Perl_mg_get
Perl_newRV
Perl_newRV_noinc
Perl_newSV
Perl_newSViv
Perl_newSVpv
Perl_newSVpvn
Perl_newSVpvn_flags
Perl_newSVsv
Perl_newSVsv_flags
Perl_newSV_type
Perl_newSVuv
Perl_newXS
Perl_newXS_flags
*perl_parse
Perl_pop_scope
Perl_push_scope
*perl_run
Perl_save_item
Perl_savetmps
Perl_stack_grow
Perl_sv_2bool
Perl_sv_2bool_flags
Perl_sv_2iv
Perl_sv_2iv_flags
Perl_sv_2mortal
Perl_sv_2pv
Perl_sv_2pvbyte
Perl_sv_2pvbyte_flags
Perl_sv_2pv_flags
Perl_sv_2pvutf8
Perl_sv_2pvutf8_flags
Perl_sv_bless
Perl_sv_free
Perl_sv_free2
Perl_sv_isa
Perl_sv_newmortal
Perl_sv_setiv
Perl_sv_setiv_mg
Perl_sv_setsv
Perl_sv_setsv_flags
Perl_sys_init
Perl_sys_init3
Perl_xs_boot_epilog
Perl_xs_handshake
```

I marked the ones that look like perhaps we should care about in the
above list with an asterisk:

*Perl_call_list
*Perl_call_pv
*Perl_call_sv
*Perl_eval_pv
*perl_run

but perhaps there are others?

>> /*
>>  * plperl_xact_callback --- cleanup at main-transaction end.
>>  */
>> static void
>> plperl_xact_callback(XactEvent event, void *arg)
>> {
>>     /* ensure global locale is the current locale */
>>     if (uselocale((locale_t) 0) != LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE)
>>         perl_locale_obj = uselocale(LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE);
>> }
>
> So the assumption is that the if current locale is not LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE,
> then it was the perl locale. Seems true today, but this could confusion
> if anything else calls uselocale(). In particular, if another PL
> implementation copies this, and you use plperl and the other PL at the
> same time, they would get mixed up. I think we need another "bool
> perl_locale_obj_in_use" variable to track explicitly whether the perl
> locale is currently active.

Or perhaps don't assume that we want the global locale and swap between
pg_locale_obj (whatever it is) and perl_locale_obj?

> If we are careful to put the uselocale() calls in the right places so
> that we never ereport() while in perl locale, this callback isn't
> needed. Maybe it's still a good idea, though, to be extra sure that
> things get reset to a sane state if something unexpected happens.

I feel more comfortable that we have a "belt and suspenders" method to
restore the locale that was in use by Postgres before entering perl.

> If multiple interpreters are used, is the single perl_locale_obj
> variable still enough? Each interpreter can have their own locale I believe.

So in other words plperl and plperlu both used in the same query? I
don't see how we could get from one to the other without going through
the outer "postgres" locale first. Or are you thinking something else?

> PS. please pgindent

ok

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 27/08/2023 16:41, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 8/15/23 10:40, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> If multiple interpreters are used, is the single perl_locale_obj
>> variable still enough? Each interpreter can have their own locale I believe.
>
> So in other words plperl and plperlu both used in the same query? I
> don't see how we could get from one to the other without going through
> the outer "postgres" locale first. Or are you thinking something else?

I think you got that it backwards. 'perl_locale_obj' is set to the perl
interpreter's locale, whenever we are *outside* the interpreter.

This crashes with the patch:

postgres=# DO LANGUAGE plperlu
$function$
    use POSIX qw(setlocale LC_NUMERIC);
    use locale;

    setlocale LC_NUMERIC, "sv_SE.utf8";
$function$;
DO
postgres=# do language plperl $$ $$;
    before or while processing the request.

I was going to test using plperl and plperl in the same session and
expected the interpreters to mix up the locales they use. Maybe the
crash is because of something like that, although I didn't expect a
crash, just weird confusion on which locale is used.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 4:25 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> I think you got that it backwards. 'perl_locale_obj' is set to the perl
> interpreter's locale, whenever we are *outside* the interpreter.

This thread has had no update for more than 4 months, so I'm marking
the CF entry RwF for now.

It can always be reopened, if Joe or Tristan or Heikki or someone else
picks it up again.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: BUG #17946: LC_MONETARY & DO LANGUAGE plperl - BUG

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 1/5/24 12:56, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 4:25 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>> I think you got that it backwards. 'perl_locale_obj' is set to the perl
>> interpreter's locale, whenever we are *outside* the interpreter.
>
> This thread has had no update for more than 4 months, so I'm marking
> the CF entry RwF for now.
>
> It can always be reopened, if Joe or Tristan or Heikki or someone else
> picks it up again.

It is definitely a bug, so I do plan to get back to it at some point,
hopefully sooner rather than later...