Обсуждение: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
I noticed this while working on the
EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-for-async-capable-nodes issue:

EXPLAIN (VERBOSE, COSTS OFF)
DELETE FROM async_pt;
                           QUERY PLAN
 Delete on public.async_pt
   Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
   Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
   Delete on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
   ->  Append
         ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
               Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl1
         ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
               Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl2
         ->  Seq Scan on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
               Output: async_pt_3.tableoid, async_pt_3.ctid
(11 rows)

DELETE FROM async_pt;
    before or while processing the request.
connection to server was lost

The cause for this would be that direct-update plans are mistakenly
treated as async-capable ones, as shown in the EXPLAIN output.  To
fix, I think we should modify postgresPlanDirectModify() so that it
clears the async-capable flag if it is set.  Attached is a patch for
that.  Maybe I am missing something, though.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Justin Pryzby
Дата:
On Sat, May 08, 2021 at 01:20:51AM +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> I noticed this while working on the
> EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-for-async-capable-nodes issue:
>
> DELETE FROM async_pt;

Confirmed, +Tomas, and added at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_14_Open_Items

--
Justin

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 9:20 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 08, 2021 at 01:20:51AM +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > I noticed this while working on the
> > EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-for-async-capable-nodes issue:
> >
> > DELETE FROM async_pt;
> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
>
> Confirmed, +Tomas, and added at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_14_Open_Items

Thanks for that!

Maybe my explanation was not good, but actually, this is a follow-up
for commits 27e1f1456 and 86dc90056, which were independently
discussed and committed, and IIUC, the batch-insert work by Tomas
would not be related to this.  So I’ll work on it unless Tom (or
anyone else) wants to.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
Fujita-san,

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 1:21 AM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed this while working on the
> EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-for-async-capable-nodes issue:
>
> EXPLAIN (VERBOSE, COSTS OFF)
> DELETE FROM async_pt;
>                            QUERY PLAN
>  Delete on public.async_pt
>    Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
>    Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
>    Delete on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
>    ->  Append
>          ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
>                Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl1
>          ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
>                Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl2
>          ->  Seq Scan on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
>                Output: async_pt_3.tableoid, async_pt_3.ctid
> (11 rows)
>
> DELETE FROM async_pt;
>     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>     before or while processing the request.
> connection to server was lost
>
> The cause for this would be that direct-update plans are mistakenly
> treated as async-capable ones, as shown in the EXPLAIN output.

I guess that happens because the ForeignScan nodes responsible for
scanning or direct-updating/deleting from child foreign tables appear
under an Append as of 86dc90056, whereas before they would appear as
child plans of a ModifyTable node.  IIUC, it's the Append that causes
the async_capable flag to be set in those ForeignScan nodes.

> fix, I think we should modify postgresPlanDirectModify() so that it
> clears the async-capable flag if it is set.  Attached is a patch for
> that.  Maybe I am missing something, though.

I see that your patch is to disable asynchronous execution in
ForeignScan nodes responsible for direct update/delete, but why not do
the same for other ForeignScan nodes too?  Or the other way around --
is it because fixing the crash that occurs in the former's case would
be a significant undertaking for little gain?

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Amit-san,

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 9:21 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 1:21 AM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I noticed this while working on the
> > EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-for-async-capable-nodes issue:
> >
> > EXPLAIN (VERBOSE, COSTS OFF)
> > DELETE FROM async_pt;
> >                            QUERY PLAN
> >  Delete on public.async_pt
> >    Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
> >    Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
> >    Delete on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
> >    ->  Append
> >          ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
> >                Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl1
> >          ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
> >                Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl2
> >          ->  Seq Scan on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
> >                Output: async_pt_3.tableoid, async_pt_3.ctid
> > (11 rows)
> >
> > DELETE FROM async_pt;
> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> >     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> >     before or while processing the request.
> > connection to server was lost
> >
> > The cause for this would be that direct-update plans are mistakenly
> > treated as async-capable ones, as shown in the EXPLAIN output.
>
> I guess that happens because the ForeignScan nodes responsible for
> scanning or direct-updating/deleting from child foreign tables appear
> under an Append as of 86dc90056, whereas before they would appear as
> child plans of a ModifyTable node.  IIUC, it's the Append that causes
> the async_capable flag to be set in those ForeignScan nodes.

That's right.

The inherited update/delete work is great!  Thanks for that!

> > fix, I think we should modify postgresPlanDirectModify() so that it
> > clears the async-capable flag if it is set.  Attached is a patch for
> > that.  Maybe I am missing something, though.
>
> I see that your patch is to disable asynchronous execution in
> ForeignScan nodes responsible for direct update/delete, but why not do
> the same for other ForeignScan nodes too?

I just thought it would be better to execute other ForeignScan nodes
asynchronously for performance, if they are async-capable.

> Or the other way around --
> is it because fixing the crash that occurs in the former's case would
> be a significant undertaking for little gain?

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to support "Async Foreign
Delete" in the former's case.  And actually, I tried to do so, but I
didn't, because it seemed to take time.  I might be missing something,
though.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
Fujita-san,

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 5:56 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 9:21 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 1:21 AM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I noticed this while working on the
> > > EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-for-async-capable-nodes issue:
> > >
> > > EXPLAIN (VERBOSE, COSTS OFF)
> > > DELETE FROM async_pt;
> > >                            QUERY PLAN
> > >  Delete on public.async_pt
> > >    Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
> > >    Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
> > >    Delete on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
> > >    ->  Append
> > >          ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p1 async_pt_1
> > >                Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl1
> > >          ->  Async Foreign Delete on public.async_p2 async_pt_2
> > >                Remote SQL: DELETE FROM public.base_tbl2
> > >          ->  Seq Scan on public.async_p3 async_pt_3
> > >                Output: async_pt_3.tableoid, async_pt_3.ctid
> > > (11 rows)
> > >
> > > DELETE FROM async_pt;
> > > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> > >     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> > >     before or while processing the request.
> > > connection to server was lost
> > >
> > > The cause for this would be that direct-update plans are mistakenly
> > > treated as async-capable ones, as shown in the EXPLAIN output.
> >
> > I guess that happens because the ForeignScan nodes responsible for
> > scanning or direct-updating/deleting from child foreign tables appear
> > under an Append as of 86dc90056, whereas before they would appear as
> > child plans of a ModifyTable node.  IIUC, it's the Append that causes
> > the async_capable flag to be set in those ForeignScan nodes.
>
> That's right.
>
> The inherited update/delete work is great!  Thanks for that!

Thanks.

> > > fix, I think we should modify postgresPlanDirectModify() so that it
> > > clears the async-capable flag if it is set.  Attached is a patch for
> > > that.  Maybe I am missing something, though.
> >
> > I see that your patch is to disable asynchronous execution in
> > ForeignScan nodes responsible for direct update/delete, but why not do
> > the same for other ForeignScan nodes too?
>
> I just thought it would be better to execute other ForeignScan nodes
> asynchronously for performance, if they are async-capable.

Okay, so I take it that making these ForeignScan nodes (that only
fetch the data) asynchronous doesn't interfere with update/delete
subsequently being performed over presumably the same connection to
the remote server.

> > Or the other way around --
> > is it because fixing the crash that occurs in the former's case would
> > be a significant undertaking for little gain?
>
> Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to support "Async Foreign
> Delete" in the former's case.  And actually, I tried to do so, but I
> didn't, because it seemed to take time.

Ah I see.  I guess it makes sense to prevent such cases in v14 as your
patch does, and revisit this in the future.
--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Amit-san,

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 9:53 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 5:56 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I see that your patch is to disable asynchronous execution in
> > > ForeignScan nodes responsible for direct update/delete, but why not do
> > > the same for other ForeignScan nodes too?
> >
> > I just thought it would be better to execute other ForeignScan nodes
> > asynchronously for performance, if they are async-capable.
>
> Okay, so I take it that making these ForeignScan nodes (that only
> fetch the data) asynchronous doesn't interfere with update/delete
> subsequently being performed over presumably the same connection to
> the remote server.

Good point!  I don't think it would interfere with the update/delete,
because in that case postgres_fdw would actually perform the
update/delete and the asynchronous foreign scans serially rather than
concurrently.  (They wouldn't be perfomed in parallel unless they use
different connections, in other words.)

> > > Or the other way around --
> > > is it because fixing the crash that occurs in the former's case would
> > > be a significant undertaking for little gain?
> >
> > Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to support "Async Foreign
> > Delete" in the former's case.  And actually, I tried to do so, but I
> > didn't, because it seemed to take time.
>
> Ah I see.  I guess it makes sense to prevent such cases in v14 as your
> patch does, and revisit this in the future.

+1

Here is a rebased version of the patch.  I'm planning to apply this tommorow.

Thanks for the comment!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:45 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 9:53 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay, so I take it that making these ForeignScan nodes (that only
> > fetch the data) asynchronous doesn't interfere with update/delete
> > subsequently being performed over presumably the same connection to
> > the remote server.
>
> Good point!  I don't think it would interfere with the update/delete,
> because in that case postgres_fdw would actually perform the
> update/delete and the asynchronous foreign scans serially rather than
> concurrently.  (They wouldn't be perfomed in parallel unless they use
> different connections, in other words.)

I see, that makes sense.

> > > Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to support "Async Foreign
> > > Delete" in the former's case.  And actually, I tried to do so, but I
> > > didn't, because it seemed to take time.
> >
> > Ah I see.  I guess it makes sense to prevent such cases in v14 as your
> > patch does, and revisit this in the future.
>
> +1
>
> Here is a rebased version of the patch.  I'm planning to apply this tommorow.

+   /*
+    * Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set.
+    */

Would it make sense to expand here even just a bit on why we must do this?

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:32 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:45 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here is a rebased version of the patch.  I'm planning to apply this tommorow.
>
> +   /*
> +    * Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set.
> +    */
>
> Would it make sense to expand here even just a bit on why we must do this?

+1  How about something like this?

"Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set, as we currently
don't support asynchronous execution of direct modifications."

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:32 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:45 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Here is a rebased version of the patch.  I'm planning to apply this tommorow.
> >
> > +   /*
> > +    * Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set.
> > +    */
> >
> > Would it make sense to expand here even just a bit on why we must do this?
>
> +1  How about something like this?
>
> "Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set, as we currently
> don't support asynchronous execution of direct modifications."

Pushed after modifying the comment as such.  I think we could improve
it later.  :-)

Thanks for the comment!

Will close this in the open items list.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Inherited UPDATE/DELETE vs async execution

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 8:10 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > +   /*
> > > +    * Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set.
> > > +    */
> > >
> > > Would it make sense to expand here even just a bit on why we must do this?
> >
> > +1  How about something like this?
> >
> > "Finally, unset the async-capable flag if it is set, as we currently
> > don't support asynchronous execution of direct modifications."
>
> Pushed after modifying the comment as such.  I think we could improve
> it later.  :-)

Looks good as pushed, thank you.