Обсуждение: TCP Wrappers

TCP Wrappers

От
Timmy Siu
Дата:
Dear all postgresql developers,

I have tested postgres v11 against TCP Wrappers but it does not respond
to TCP wrappers port blocking.

May I suggest the community to have postgres to work with TCP wrappers.??
Its security will be better.

Regards,
Timmy

Re: TCP Wrappers

От
Steve Crawford

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Timmy Siu <timmy.siu@aol.com> wrote:
Dear all postgresql developers,

I have tested postgres v11 against TCP Wrappers but it does not respond
to TCP wrappers port blocking.

May I suggest the community to have postgres to work with TCP wrappers.??
Its security will be better.

The last stable release of TCP Wrappers was a couple decades ago. It's deprecated in RHEL7 and removed in RHEL8.  I'm not a PG core member or anything but rather doubt that's an area where the developers will want to expend effort.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: TCP Wrappers

От
Lou Picciano
Дата:
Yeah, why bother. Even ’native’ encryption/SSL in PG (were one to use it ‘natively’, as we do) is so good; adding yet another layer seems overkill…

Lou Picciano

I have tested postgres v11 against TCP Wrappers but it does not respond
to TCP wrappers port blocking.

May I suggest the community to have postgres to work with TCP wrappers.??
Its security will be better.

The last stable release of TCP Wrappers was a couple decades ago. It's deprecated in RHEL7 and removed in RHEL8.  I'm not a PG core member or anything but rather doubt that's an area where the developers will want to expend effort.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: TCP Wrappers

Дата:
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Timmy Siu <timmy.siu@aol.com> wrote:
>> May I suggest the community to have postgres to work with TCP wrappers.??
>> Its security will be better.

> The last stable release of TCP Wrappers was a couple decades ago. It's
> deprecated in RHEL7 and removed in RHEL8.  I'm not a PG core member or
> anything but rather doubt that's an area where the developers will want to
> expend effort.

Yeah.  In a quick dig through the project archives, I can find exactly
one prior suggestion that we should do this, and that email is old
enough to drink:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/v0313030fb141b1665de9%40%5B137.78.218.94%5D

That doesn't bode well for the number of people who would use or care
about such a feature.

            regards, tom lane

Re: TCP Wrappers

От