Обсуждение: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter

Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.

This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity at startup?

At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
SimKorp Ltda
Fone:(51) 3366-7964
Embedded Image
"A mente que se abre a uma nova ideia jamais voltará ao seu tamanho original"
- Albert Einstein

Вложения

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Pavel Stehule

El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

It has CRC check, but it is used in runtime - when data are necessary

So Postgres usually check nothing on start - few system tables and indexes

Regards

Pavel

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Дата:
Em 26/12/2017 12:25, Pavel Stehule escreveu:

El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

It has CRC check, but it is used in runtime - when data are necessary

So Postgres usually check nothing on start - few system tables and indexes

Regards

Pavel

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Any tips to make database server don't start if corrupt?
If I can change the startup script to make some checks before effectively starting the database, what would be the recommendations?

One that seems obvious to me are empty data files (something like "find -size 0 $PG_DATA/base")...
But I'm sure that more experienced PostgreSQL DBA would have more tests to check before startup.

Thanks,

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
Look into amcheck:

https://github.com/petergeoghegan/amcheck

--
Peter Geoghegan
(Sent from my phone)

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Pavel Stehule

Em 26/12/2017 12:25, Pavel Stehule escreveu:

El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

It has CRC check, but it is used in runtime - when data are necessary

So Postgres usually check nothing on start - few system tables and indexes

Regards

Pavel

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Any tips to make database server don't start if corrupt?
If I can change the startup script to make some checks before effectively starting the database, what would be the recommendations?

One that seems obvious to me are empty data files (something like "find -size 0 $PG_DATA/base")...
But I'm sure that more experienced PostgreSQL DBA would have more tests to check before startup.

I don't think so anybody does it. Reading 1TB database needs more then few hours.

Regards

Thanks,

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Дата:
Em 26/12/2017 12:25, Pavel Stehule escreveu:

El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

It has CRC check, but it is used in runtime - when data are necessary

So Postgres usually check nothing on start - few system tables and indexes

Regards

Pavel

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Any tips to make database server don't start if corrupt?
If I can change the startup script to make some checks before effectively starting the database, what would be the recommendations?

One that seems obvious to me are empty data files (something like "find -size 0 $PG_DATA/base")...
But I'm sure that more experienced PostgreSQL DBA would have more tests to check before startup.

I don't think so anybody does it. Reading 1TB database needs more then few hours.

Regards

Thanks,

Edson

I'm rebuilding the standby server for two days already, with 23% of completion status...
If lost the database and backups because of that failure, it would be a giant disaster.
Few hours checking integrity would be acceptable... Specially if I can run it on standby only.

Regards,

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Pavel Stehule

Em 26/12/2017 12:25, Pavel Stehule escreveu:

El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

It has CRC check, but it is used in runtime - when data are necessary

So Postgres usually check nothing on start - few system tables and indexes

Regards

Pavel

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Any tips to make database server don't start if corrupt?
If I can change the startup script to make some checks before effectively starting the database, what would be the recommendations?

One that seems obvious to me are empty data files (something like "find -size 0 $PG_DATA/base")...
But I'm sure that more experienced PostgreSQL DBA would have more tests to check before startup.

I don't think so anybody does it. Reading 1TB database needs more then few hours.

Regards

Thanks,

Edson

I'm rebuilding the standby server for two days already, with 23% of completion status...
If lost the database and backups because of that failure, it would be a giant disaster.
Few hours checking integrity would be acceptable... Specially if I can run it on standby only.

very simple check

pgdumpall > /dev/null

but this doesn't check indexes.

Regards

Pavel

Regards,

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter

Em 26/12/2017 12:25, Pavel Stehule escreveu:

El 26/12/17 a las 09:52, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
> Recently I had a problem with a base file with size 0 in a standby server.
>
> This raised one question: does PostgreSQL (9.6.6) check base integrity
> at startup?
>
> At least if there are 0 byte size files in base dir? Or CRC? Something?

Yes it has CRC check, but only if you initialize the cluster with
--data-checksums, and there's a price to pay in performance.

It has CRC check, but it is used in runtime - when data are necessary

So Postgres usually check nothing on start - few system tables and indexes

Regards

Pavel

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Any tips to make database server don't start if corrupt?
If I can change the startup script to make some checks before effectively starting the database, what would be the recommendations?

One that seems obvious to me are empty data files (something like "find -size 0 $PG_DATA/base")...
But I'm sure that more experienced PostgreSQL DBA would have more tests to check before startup.

I don't think so anybody does it. Reading 1TB database needs more then few hours.

Regards

Thanks,

Edson

I'm rebuilding the standby server for two days already, with 23% of completion status...
If lost the database and backups because of that failure, it would be a giant disaster.
Few hours checking integrity would be acceptable... Specially if I can run it on standby only.

very simple check

pgdumpall > /dev/null

but this doesn't check indexes.

Regards

Pavel

I'll check it and make some tests.
Thanks!

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:

> I'm rebuilding the standby server for two days already, with 23% of
> completion status...

So how do you build your standbys, exactly?  Maybe there's a bug in your
procedure, rather than a bug in the software.

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Дата:
Em 26/12/2017 15:13, Alvaro Herrera escreveu:
> Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:
>
>> I'm rebuilding the standby server for two days already, with 23% of
>> completion status...
> So how do you build your standbys, exactly?  Maybe there's a bug in your
> procedure, rather than a bug in the software.

Usually, or by "pg_basebackup" or by "rsync" as described in PostgreSQL
Wiki.
Right now, I'm doing via pg_basebackup.
Nothing extraordinary.

When using rsync:

rsync -e "ssh -2 -C -p slave_ssh_port" --progress --partial -az
/pgsql/9.6/master_data_folder/*
superuser_name@$slave_host:/home/pgsql/9.6/slave_data_folder/ --exclude
postmaster.pid --exclude postgresql.conf --exclude pg_log

When using pg_basebackup:

/usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/pg_basebackup -h master_host -p master_port -D
/home/pgsql/9.6/master_data_folder -R -S slot_name -X stream -P -d "
user=superuser_name password=superuser_pass sslmode=require "

Of course, this is inside a bash script with variables at right places
to make script generic as needed to make it works with dozens of
databases...

Regards,

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
David Steele
Дата:
On 12/26/17 10:57 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>     I'm rebuilding the standby server for two days already, with 23% of
>     completion status...
>     If lost the database and backups because of that failure, it would
>     be a giant disaster.
>     Few hours checking integrity would be acceptable... Specially if I
>     can run it on standby only.
>

> very simple check
>
> pgdumpall > /dev/null
>
> but this doesn't check indexes.

pgBackRest will validate all page checksums (including indexes, etc.) in
the cluster during backup.  Full backups check everything,
incr/differential backups check only the files that have changed.

--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David Steele wrote:

> pgBackRest will validate all page checksums (including indexes, etc.) in the
> cluster during backup.  Full backups check everything, incr/differential
> backups check only the files that have changed.

If a table or index file is of zero length when backed up, as in the
described case, nothing will be checked, right?  I mean, there is
nothing externally indicating that the file ought to be of a different
size.  Am I wrong?  So Edson's situation here would not raise any red
flags.

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
rob stone
Дата:
Hello,

On Tue, 2017-12-26 at 18:58 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:Hello,
> David Steele wrote:
>
> > pgBackRest will validate all page checksums (including indexes,
> > etc.) in the
> > cluster during backup.  Full backups check everything,
> > incr/differential
> > backups check only the files that have changed.
>
> If a table or index file is of zero length when backed up, as in the
> described case, nothing will be checked, right?  I mean, there is
> nothing externally indicating that the file ought to be of a
> different
> size.  Am I wrong?  So Edson's situation here would not raise any red
> flags.

Could the following occur:-
1) Your app. issues a BEGIN followed by an INSERT.
2) Postgres decides to open a new file in order to store the new row.
3) Your app. then does a ROLLBACK.

Wouldn't that leave you with a zero length file on disk?

There's no reason for Postgres to delete the file just because a
rollback was issued. All it has to do is clear the buffer in memory.

My 2 cents.

Rob

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El 26/12/17 a las 14:46, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:

> Usually, or by "pg_basebackup" or by "rsync" as described in PostgreSQL
> Wiki.
> Right now, I'm doing via pg_basebackup.
> Nothing extraordinary.
>
> When using rsync:
>
> rsync -e "ssh -2 -C -p slave_ssh_port" --progress --partial -az
> /pgsql/9.6/master_data_folder/*
> superuser_name@$slave_host:/home/pgsql/9.6/slave_data_folder/ --exclude
> postmaster.pid --exclude postgresql.conf --exclude pg_log

You don't say so anywhere, but I suspect you run the rsync between a
pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup(), right?

That is the way it's described in the wiki.

Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Дата:
Em 26/12/2017 20:42, Martin Marques escreveu:
> El 26/12/17 a las 14:46, Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter escribió:
>> Usually, or by "pg_basebackup" or by "rsync" as described in PostgreSQL
>> Wiki.
>> Right now, I'm doing via pg_basebackup.
>> Nothing extraordinary.
>>
>> When using rsync:
>>
>> rsync -e "ssh -2 -C -p slave_ssh_port" --progress --partial -az
>> /pgsql/9.6/master_data_folder/*
>> superuser_name@$slave_host:/home/pgsql/9.6/slave_data_folder/ --exclude
>> postmaster.pid --exclude postgresql.conf --exclude pg_log
> You don't say so anywhere, but I suspect you run the rsync between a
> pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup(), right?
>
> That is the way it's described in the wiki.
>
> Regards,

Yes, sure. When using wiki, I'm following all instructions. Process
revisited many times do check if something changed (since 9.0 days :-) )

Right now, I do prefer to use pg_basebackup instead - but sometimes
(when database is just too large), rsync seems more reliable (maybe it
is the cause of the problem).

Anyway, instead digging into rsync functionality (or bugs - I doubt, but
who knows?), I do prefer to have a script I can run to check if there is
obvious failures in standby servers.

Looking for empty files would be a start point.
I'm learning from experienced people from the list that are other points
I would like to check as well.

Regards,

Edson.

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Дата:
Em 26/12/2017 20:11, rob stone escreveu:
> Hello,
>

> On Tue, 2017-12-26 at 18:58 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:Hello,
>> David Steele wrote:
>>
>>> pgBackRest will validate all page checksums (including indexes,
>>> etc.) in the
>>> cluster during backup.  Full backups check everything,
>>> incr/differential
>>> backups check only the files that have changed.
>> If a table or index file is of zero length when backed up, as in the
>> described case, nothing will be checked, right?  I mean, there is
>> nothing externally indicating that the file ought to be of a
>> different
>> size.  Am I wrong?  So Edson's situation here would not raise any red
>> flags.
>>

> Could the following occur:-
> 1) Your app. issues a BEGIN followed by an INSERT.
> 2) Postgres decides to open a new file in order to store the new row.
> 3) Your app. then does a ROLLBACK.
>
> Wouldn't that leave you with a zero length file on disk?
>
> There's no reason for Postgres to delete the file just because a
> rollback was issued. All it has to do is clear the buffer in memory.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Rob

You are right, in several databases I've looked there are many files
with 0 byte size in ./base folder.
This is not a good quest.

Regards,

Edson

Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter (richter@simkorp.com.br) wrote:
> Right now, I do prefer to use pg_basebackup instead - but sometimes
> (when database is just too large), rsync seems more reliable (maybe
> it is the cause of the problem).

I don't generally recommend rsync for various reasons, but if you make
sure to call pg_start/stop_backup(), keep track of all your WAL and
verify everything ends up written to disk then it should work.  Don't
use it for incrementals though- there are cases where that can fail.

> Anyway, instead digging into rsync functionality (or bugs - I doubt,
> but who knows?), I do prefer to have a script I can run to check if
> there is obvious failures in standby servers.

As mentioned, zero-byte files can be perfectly valid.  PostgreSQL does
have page-level CRCs, if you initialized your database with them (which
I would strongly recommend).  There are also backup tools which will
verify those checksums when performing a backup of the system.  In
addition to that, you can do parallel backup and restore which can
reduce the downtime for doing restores quite a bit (though this will
depend on what you're bottleneck is, of course).  I'd suggest you take a
look at pgBackRest, though I think that other solutions now also have
all of these features (though they all have their own features too).

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения