Обсуждение: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

[pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
"David Lloyd"

Is it just me or is “pgadmin4” just terribly slow?

I’m running it on a capable HP Laptop (it runs Postgres itself very well) but “pgadmin4” seems impossibly slow.

Connecting to my Postgres from the local machine doesn’t seem to be the bottleneck (I have a Laravel application that runs just as well with php’s pdo_pgsql as well as pdo_mysql).

Any ideas?

DSL

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
Patrick Headley
Дата:
While I still wish pgAdmin4 was faster to start up I installed pgAdmin4 v1.5 today and performed some tests. Here's what I found.

The test machine is a Windows 7 VirtualBox VM. The host has a 4GHz processor and an SSD. The host network connection uses an AC 1200 WiFi card. I believe I'm testing the desktop version of pgAdmin4 since I'm opening it from the Windows start button.

Starting pgAdmin4: 32 seconds to show "Servers" in the browser tree and show the opening page.

When I click the plus (+) sign next to servers it takes 5 seconds for my two local servers to show up. These are on two separate KVM Linux VMs.

It takes between 2 and 6 seconds to open each item in the database browser tree.

I opened a table of 16,000 rows by clicking on the View All Rows button. It took 3 seconds to open even though pgAdmin4 said it took only 1 second. In pgAdmin3 on the host machine it took about 1.5 seconds.

I opened a view that has almost 200,000 rows. In pgAdmin3 it takes 7 seconds. pgAdmin4 says it took 5 seconds but it really took 8 seconds. Overall, the time is comparable between the two versions.

This is very encouraging because when I first tried pgAdmin4 I found it to be too annoying to use. I will now give it another try.

Patrick Headley
Linx Consulting, Inc.
pheadley@linxco-inc.com
(303) 916-5522
www.linxco-inc.com
Is it just me or is “pgadmin4” just terribly slow?

I’m running it on a capable HP Laptop (it runs Postgres itself very well) but “pgadmin4” seems impossibly slow.

Connecting to my Postgres from the local machine doesn’t seem to be the bottleneck (I have a Laravel application that runs just as well with php’s pdo_pgsql as well as pdo_mysql).

Any ideas?

DSL

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
Mike Surcouf

A  32 second startup time and a 2-6 seconds to expand each node is encouraging?

[...]

Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Mike Surcouf <mikes@surcouf.co.uk> wrote:
> A  32 second startup time and a 2-6 seconds to expand each node is
> encouraging?

Unless you're on a slow connection, the node expansion time should be
extremely quick the second and subsequent times in a session, and even
then the delay should only occur for a small number of key nodes.
That's because it's loading the code for them on first expansion.

We're working on getting rid of that - whilst it works fine on
non-Windows platforms (i.e. the initial delay is measured in fractions
of a second, not seconds), clearly as we've found it's a problem on
Windows. The work a number of people are currently doing involved
making as much of the code static as possible (so it doesn't need to
go through the templating engine), and then minimising and web packing
it so it all loads at once. This will significantly reduce the number
of round-trips between the browser and client, as well as the
bandwidth required.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
Mike Surcouf
Дата:
Static resources will be good for caching :-)  I would expect to see performance gains when using remotely via a
browser. Thankyou.

I'm not sure whether QtWeb will benefit as much as its local traffic so round trips should be pretty instantaneous.
Unless QtWeb is horribly inefficient in which case I hope it helps.

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Mike Surcouf <mikes@surcouf.co.uk> wrote:
> Static resources will be good for caching :-)  I would expect to see performance gains when using remotely via a
browser. Thankyou.

> I'm not sure whether QtWeb will benefit as much as its local traffic so round trips should be pretty instantaneous.
> Unless QtWeb is horribly inefficient in which case I hope it helps.

Right - and on Windows, I think that is actually the problem which is
why users have reported that running the server separately and using a
regular browser makes a big difference.

FYI, when I was testing on Windows over the weekend, in my test VM,
simply changing "localhost" as the connection target in the runtime to
"127.0.0.1" took the startup time from ~34 seconds to ~24. I lost
count of how many times I tested that, but it was pretty consistent.
That hints to me that the network side is what is less performant -
obviously the resolver, but I suspect also connection setup which is
why I have high hopes for web packing.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
"David Lloyd"

[Yes, I’m on Windows 10]

It does appear that the tool’s (or should I say those of the upstream browser kit / underlying platform) seem to resolve `localhost` very slowly; it seems about as slow as either a DNS resolver timeout or a network isn’t there. Others mention rewriting the host entry from `localhost` to `127.0.01` which I did and it does connect to the database faster.

To me this implies:

·         DNS resolution is slow; or

·         It’s resolved an IPv6 address, found that it can’ connect and then falls back to IPv4.

That said, it still takes at least a minute to even load the program. I can figure out which of the above two it is but it’s not pressing on my time now (because my alternative simply just works and quickly).

That said, it’s difficult to argue that a 30+ second start up time for the user interface to become responsive (as opposed to useful) is encouraging and whilst I’m no every day user and might be encouraged by such oddities to fall back on the faster, and some would arguably say more powerful, shell with `psql`, others might have simply not used the tool, i.e. pgadmin4, or worse concluded that Postgresql itself is the issue.

Does the tool expose any underlying http/web-like server (i.e. is the tool simply spawning some sort of web process and the GUI is just a web-browser in a window talking to it)? And more to the point, is there a way I can point another browser at it? Were this the case, one could explore another avenue by pointing some other browser with/without caching on to see if the GUI itself is the pain point?

DSL

[...]

Bruno Friedmann
Дата:
On mercredi, 14 juin 2017 10.13:44 h CEST Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Mike Surcouf <mikes@surcouf.co.uk> wrote:
> > Static resources will be good for caching :-)  I would expect to see
> > performance gains when using remotely via a browser.  Thankyou. I'm not
> > sure whether QtWeb will benefit as much as its local traffic so round
> > trips should be pretty instantaneous. Unless QtWeb is horribly
> > inefficient in which case I hope it helps.
> Right - and on Windows, I think that is actually the problem which is
> why users have reported that running the server separately and using a
> regular browser makes a big difference.
>
> FYI, when I was testing on Windows over the weekend, in my test VM,
> simply changing "localhost" as the connection target in the runtime to
> "127.0.0.1" took the startup time from ~34 seconds to ~24. I lost
> count of how many times I tested that, but it was pretty consistent.
> That hints to me that the network side is what is less performant -
> obviously the resolver, but I suspect also connection setup which is
> why I have high hopes for web packing.

Is this doesn't linked to the fact that localhost on modern system is mapped
to ::1 (the ipv6 loopback) and 127.0.0.1 the old ipv4 one.

By default ipv6 is called first, then ipv4 the problem is the python api is
listening only on ipv4 :-)

Python Flask upstream limits ? (Well they not alone in that case)

--

Bruno Friedmann Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.chBareos Partner, openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowshipGPG KEY :
D5C9B751C4653227irc:tigerfoot

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Bruno Friedmann <bruno@ioda-net.ch> wrote:
> On mercredi, 14 juin 2017 10.13:44 h CEST Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Mike Surcouf <mikes@surcouf.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Static resources will be good for caching :-)  I would expect to see
>> > performance gains when using remotely via a browser.  Thankyou. I'm not
>> > sure whether QtWeb will benefit as much as its local traffic so round
>> > trips should be pretty instantaneous. Unless QtWeb is horribly
>> > inefficient in which case I hope it helps.
>> Right - and on Windows, I think that is actually the problem which is
>> why users have reported that running the server separately and using a
>> regular browser makes a big difference.
>>
>> FYI, when I was testing on Windows over the weekend, in my test VM,
>> simply changing "localhost" as the connection target in the runtime to
>> "127.0.0.1" took the startup time from ~34 seconds to ~24. I lost
>> count of how many times I tested that, but it was pretty consistent.
>> That hints to me that the network side is what is less performant -
>> obviously the resolver, but I suspect also connection setup which is
>> why I have high hopes for web packing.
>
> Is this doesn't linked to the fact that localhost on modern system is mapped
> to ::1 (the ipv6 loopback) and 127.0.0.1 the old ipv4 one.
>
> By default ipv6 is called first, then ipv4 the problem is the python api is
> listening only on ipv4 :-)

I don't think so - previously both the server and client were using
'localhost', so should have defaulted to either 127.0.0.1 or ::1
depending on the system config.

Now, both are using '127.0.0.1', which is what gained the 10 seconds I
mentioned above. Of course, the downside of this is that it requires
IPv4 on the users machine, but practically speaking I don't think
that's likely to be an issue - is anyone really running IPv6 only?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [pgadmin-support] "pgadmin4" - slow?

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
Regardless of the upcoming problem resolution regarding slow start times, or any of the multitude of Reddit reports, I think PgAdmin developers should consider this a lesson learned and test on ALL platforms (IE:Mac, Windows, Linux) before releasing a new version.

Melvin Davidson 🎸
    Cell 720-320-0155
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day