Обсуждение: Archived-At message header

Archived-At message header

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
Hi,

What are the chances that, if we're going to fix the problem of
archive boundaries at month end, we can do it with
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5064.txt?  I just learned about this
header, and it sure seems like it'd be useful.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Archived-At message header

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the chances that, if we're going to fix the problem of
> archive boundaries at month end, we can do it with
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5064.txt?  I just learned about this
> header, and it sure seems like it'd be useful.

Can't we do this already, since our archives can be accessed by messageid?

/Magnus

Re: Archived-At message header

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the chances that, if we're going to fix the problem of
> archive boundaries at month end, we can do it with
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5064.txt?  I just learned about this
> header, and it sure seems like it'd be useful.

It would be neat, but I'm not sure it can be done, because the WWW
archives are handled very far away from where the message is
distributed.

Hmm, but 3.2 talks about using Message-Id for generating URLs that will
work permanently.  Interesting.  There's even software for managing it.

Re: Archived-At message header

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 03:56:56PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Can't we do this already, since our archives can be accessed by messageid?

We do, approximately.  The cool trick about this is that it's a
_message_ header, so it actually comes with the message.  The RFC
includes a pointer to w3c code that will generate these headers on the
way by based on Message-ID, yes.

I guess what I was thinking is that the threading-across-month issue
could be solved by using these headers as the basis for building the
thread back up.  Maybe it's a dumb idea, though.  (Nobody would accuse
me of never having dumb ideas in public.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Archived-At message header

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> I guess what I was thinking is that the threading-across-month issue
> could be solved by using these headers as the basis for building the
> thread back up.  Maybe it's a dumb idea, though.  (Nobody would accuse
> me of never having dumb ideas in public.)

I've also thought about this in the past.  I don't think it's a dumb
idea -- perhaps it can be made to work.  I'm hesitant to continue to
build kluges on top of Mhonarc, though.  (I tried to get Abhijit
Menon-Sen interested in exploring the idea of using Archivopteryx to
drive our archives, but he seems to have even less time for
experimentation with such things than I do.)

Re: Archived-At message header

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:01:36AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Hmm, but 3.2 talks about using Message-Id for generating URLs that will
> work permanently.  Interesting.  There's even software for managing it.

Yeah.  That's why I think it's a nifty idea.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/