Обсуждение: User Wiki

User Wiki

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
So I was thinking some more about the lack of real use that techdocs
is getting coupled with the lack of any kind of spam etc. that we've
picked up on it. I think we should reconsider having an official
PostgreSQL wiki for users, probably at wiki.postgresql.org.

Thoughts?

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: User Wiki

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 01:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> So I was thinking some more about the lack of real use that techdocs
> is getting coupled with the lack of any kind of spam etc. that we've
> picked up on it. I think we should reconsider having an official
> PostgreSQL wiki for users, probably at wiki.postgresql.org.
>
> Thoughts?

I guess I'll have to concede. It's quite clear that the techdocs we have
now doesn't work the way we intended. I'm not entirely convinced that a
wiki will work much better, but since others are, let's give it a shot.

AFAIK, Stefan has some experience with the options there - what wiki
software should we be using? Do we still have one VM empty on the boxes
in France we could use?

//Magnus

Re: User Wiki

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 01:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>  > So I was thinking some more about the lack of real use that techdocs
>  > is getting coupled with the lack of any kind of spam etc. that we've
>  > picked up on it. I think we should reconsider having an official
>  > PostgreSQL wiki for users, probably at wiki.postgresql.org.
>  >
>  > Thoughts?
>
>  I guess I'll have to concede. It's quite clear that the techdocs we have
>  now doesn't work the way we intended. I'm not entirely convinced that a
>  wiki will work much better, but since others are, let's give it a shot.

Hey, that was easier than I expected.

>  AFAIK, Stefan has some experience with the options there - what wiki
>  software should we be using? Do we still have one VM empty on the boxes
>  in France we could use?

I just spoke to Stefan - we do have a spare clean VM pretty much ready
to go, originally provisioned some time ago to become a new developer
VM for the webteam, but I never got round to moving everything from
developer.pgadmin.org. We can put that to use.

The other thing we need to consider is tying this into the existing
community logon system. I believe mediawiki now supports OpenID, so we
should just see about hooking a provider into the existing database.

/D

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: User Wiki

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 10:54 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 01:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> >  > So I was thinking some more about the lack of real use that techdocs
> >  > is getting coupled with the lack of any kind of spam etc. that we've
> >  > picked up on it. I think we should reconsider having an official
> >  > PostgreSQL wiki for users, probably at wiki.postgresql.org.
> >  >
> >  > Thoughts?
> >
> >  I guess I'll have to concede. It's quite clear that the techdocs we have
> >  now doesn't work the way we intended. I'm not entirely convinced that a
> >  wiki will work much better, but since others are, let's give it a shot.
>
> Hey, that was easier than I expected.

Well, you're in the same city as me right now, so you might just beat me
up if I'm not careful.

BTW, let's discuss this over beer later tonight ;-) I assume you're
buying?

> >  AFAIK, Stefan has some experience with the options there - what wiki
> >  software should we be using? Do we still have one VM empty on the boxes
> >  in France we could use?
>
> I just spoke to Stefan - we do have a spare clean VM pretty much ready
> to go, originally provisioned some time ago to become a new developer
> VM for the webteam, but I never got round to moving everything from
> developer.pgadmin.org. We can put that to use.

Sounds like a good idea. We do have a working developer.pgadmin.org
right now, so finishing that migration isn't critical. Though we'll
certainly want to do that eventually, but there's no rush.

> The other thing we need to consider is tying this into the existing
> community logon system. I believe mediawiki now supports OpenID, so we
> should just see about hooking a provider into the existing database.

Yeah, I've been chatting with Stefan a couple of weeks back about using
OpenID to fix the login issues with his prototype bugzilla install.
Let's bite the bullet and look at implementing that. We could use it for
the developer wiki as well, as well as other potential future services.
I've looked a bit at OpenID for a different project at work, and it
seems it should be fairly easy for us to implement. There are good
libraries to build off - we'll certainly need to change it a bit to work
for us, but it's doable.

But I fully agree - tying into the existing login system is a
requirement, not just a "nice to have".

//Magnus

Re: User Wiki

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 01:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>>  > So I was thinking some more about the lack of real use that techdocs
>>  > is getting coupled with the lack of any kind of spam etc. that we've
>>  > picked up on it. I think we should reconsider having an official
>>  > PostgreSQL wiki for users, probably at wiki.postgresql.org.
>>  >
>>  > Thoughts?
>>
>>  I guess I'll have to concede. It's quite clear that the techdocs we have
>>  now doesn't work the way we intended. I'm not entirely convinced that a
>>  wiki will work much better, but since others are, let's give it a shot.
>
> Hey, that was easier than I expected.

You know, a group of people gave up on -www ever conceding this and
created its own wiki? We were keeping it quiet because we didn't have
all the template work etc.. done. It is over at www.postgresqldocs.org.

And before people point at me... It was Greg Smith's idea. I just helped
so shoot him first, it gives me 3 steps to get away.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: User Wiki

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> You know, a group of people gave up on -www ever conceding this and
> created its own wiki? We were keeping it quiet because we didn't have
> all the template work etc.. done. It is over at www.postgresqldocs.org.

Regardless of the above, my question would be:

What is the purpose of wiki.postgresql.org? We already have a wiki at
developer.postgresql.org.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: User Wiki

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 08:04 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 01:49 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> >>  > So I was thinking some more about the lack of real use that techdocs
> >>  > is getting coupled with the lack of any kind of spam etc. that we've
> >>  > picked up on it. I think we should reconsider having an official
> >>  > PostgreSQL wiki for users, probably at wiki.postgresql.org.
> >>  >
> >>  > Thoughts?
> >>
> >>  I guess I'll have to concede. It's quite clear that the techdocs we have
> >>  now doesn't work the way we intended. I'm not entirely convinced that a
> >>  wiki will work much better, but since others are, let's give it a shot.
> >
> > Hey, that was easier than I expected.
>
> You know, a group of people gave up on -www ever conceding this and
> created its own wiki? We were keeping it quiet because we didn't have
> all the template work etc.. done. It is over at www.postgresqldocs.org.
>
> And before people point at me... It was Greg Smith's idea. I just helped
> so shoot him first, it gives me 3 steps to get away.

I'll just not shoot anybody, but refer back to most of the arguments
about domains, and user account, and management, that has been made
about a billion times previously. I have nothing new to add above that
(apart from what I already added, which is that techdocs doesn't work as
well as we (or at least I) thought, and therefor making another approach
would be a good idea. It just comes naturally that doing said approach
along established policies is something I would advocate, but that's
just me)

//Magnus

//Magnus

Re: User Wiki

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>  > You know, a group of people gave up on -www ever conceding this and
>  > created its own wiki? We were keeping it quiet because we didn't have
>  > all the template work etc.. done. It is over at www.postgresqldocs.org.
>
>  Regardless of the above, my question would be:
>
>  What is the purpose of wiki.postgresql.org? We already have a wiki at
>  developer.postgresql.org.

You are well aware that that is a developer resource, specifically not
intended as a user site.

You are also correct that for a long time we didn't want a user wiki,
as we (particularly Magnus) had worked hard on techdocs and had other
concerns about how a wiki would work. However, we are not so arrogant
as to refuse to consider the possibility that we've got things wrong,
and given the recent discussion on -general (or was it -docs) as well
as a discussion I had with Greg Smith a while back and some comments I
heard at FOSDEM, I decided to propose that we revisit that decision.

On the other hand you decided that instead of proposing the same thing
here and arguing a case (which frankly wouldn't have taken much effort
as I for one am already hacked off with techdocs) you'd just go and
develop your own site - something you're more than welcome to do that
if you like, and in which I wish you luck. Be aware though that we
will be addressing this issue within the projects normal web/sysadmin
groups as well, and provisioning and integrating whatever solution is
selected within the existing online infrastructure.