Обсуждение: Release for 9.5

Release for 9.5

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Aligning our release numbers with PostgreSQL has been a challenge as there is no real reason to align them.

That being said, changing it may be problematic due to maven coordinates.

I'd like to not use postgresql's version number in our artifacts.

Is my concern about maven justified ?

Dave Cramer

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Vladimir Sitnikov
Дата:
> I'd like to not use postgresql's version number in our artifacts.

+1

Vladimir

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Stephen Nelson
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to not use postgresql's version number in our artifacts.

I agree. The only issue is the numbering is used on some Maven
repository sites to indicate new versions. If we go to a version
number less than the current one, it might not be recognised.

It might be a good opportunity to adopt http://semver.org/ too?

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Dave Cramer

On 12 November 2015 at 17:35, Stephen Nelson <stephen@eccostudio.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to not use postgresql's version number in our artifacts.

I agree. The only issue is the numbering is used on some Maven
repository sites to indicate new versions. If we go to a version
number less than the current one, it might not be recognised.

It might be a good opportunity to adopt http://semver.org/ too?

fine with me.

Does the version number need to be in the artifact name or just the version in the pom?

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Steven Schlansker
Дата:
> On Nov 12, 2015, at 2:59 PM, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
>

> On 12 November 2015 at 17:35, Stephen Nelson <stephen@eccostudio.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov
> <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'd like to not use postgresql's version number in our artifacts.
> >

> I agree. The only issue is the numbering is used on some Maven
> repository sites to indicate new versions. If we go to a version
> number less than the current one, it might not be recognised.
>
> It might be a good opportunity to adopt http://semver.org/ too?
>
> fine with me.

+1 to semver, although it seems unlikely that we'd change the major version (backwards compatibility break)
anytime soon

> Does the version number need to be in the artifact name or just the version in the pom?

Nope, just the version -- the artifact name should stay constant

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
+1 to not having to match versions but we should have a version compatability matrix. As new features are added to core
PG,thereneeds to be a clear indication of where they're supported.

As of now the recommendation is to always use the latest driver. As new data types of other features are supported, it
shouldbe clear which driver versions support which core DB features. Rather than doing it at a feature level I think it
makesmore sense to do it at a DB version level (since PG doesn't backpack new features).

Similarly, if a legacy feature becomes unsupported, for example if we finally remove v2 protocol support, that should
beclearly marked.

As far as actual version numbers go, if the maven coordinates are not going to change then we will need to ensure they
aresemver greater than the existing version. Otherwise it'll cause a world of comparability issues.

Regards,
Sehrope Sarkuni

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Fredrik Jonson
Дата:
Dave Cramer wrote:

>  Does the version number need to be in the artifact name or just the version
>  in the pom?

It doesn't have to be there. Though maven includes the version number in the
artifact name by default. And I'd strongly advice against diverging from that.

If nothing else, having the version number in the artifact name makes it easy
to determine which version is used and that your app does not have inconsistent
transitive dependencies in a complex build environment.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Vladimir Sitnikov
Дата:
> If nothing else, having the version number in the artifact name makes it easy
>to determine which version is used and that your app does not have inconsistent

Fredrik, you mean "build artifact should include version like
pgjdbc-10.20.30.jar", don't you?

>  Does the version number need to be in the artifact name or just the version
>  in the pom?

Dave, can you please clarify what do you mean by artifact?
Do you mean "the final jar file" or do you mean
<artifactId>...</artifactId> pom.xml tag?

Vladimir

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On 13 November 2015 at 09:21, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> If nothing else, having the version number in the artifact name makes it easy
>to determine which version is used and that your app does not have inconsistent

Fredrik, you mean "build artifact should include version like
pgjdbc-10.20.30.jar", don't you?

I think the above clarifies it. The jar does need to be numbered; correct ?

That being said we will have to start with 10 as to distance ourselves from postgres, however I do imagine
that at some point postgres will release version 10 and we will clash again...

Vladimir

Re: Release for 9.5

От
Vladimir Sitnikov