Обсуждение: jdbc supportsStoredProcedures

jdbc supportsStoredProcedures

От
"tijgertje"
Дата:
Hi,

I'm having this weird problem and I hope somebody can help me with this.
I've created a new database named test and I also did createlang plpgsql
test.
So after that I wrote this simple jdbc program, I tried to test if
PostgreSQL supports stored procedures with the supportsStoredProcedures
method in the DatabaseMetaData class, but the method returned false. I don't
understand why it returns this result. Is it a problem related to PostgreSQL
or the jdbc driver, or is it just me?

Tnx :)

Re: jdbc supportsStoredProcedures

От
"Chris Smith"
tijgertje wrote:
> So after that I wrote this simple jdbc program, I tried to test if
> PostgreSQL supports stored procedures with the
> supportsStoredProcedures method in the DatabaseMetaData class, but
> the method returned false.

It's hard-coded in the driver to return false.

My guess is that this is because the driver doesn't comply with some detail of
the JDBC or SQL specifications regarding stored procedures.  It's best to be
very strict about claiming support for a feature when there are work-arounds
involved for not really conforming.  Obviously, stored procedures by
themselves are supported.

The comment there talks about "stored procedure calls using the stored
procedure escape syntax".  Not sure what that's referring to...

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Re: jdbc supportsStoredProcedures

От
Andrew Rawnsley
Дата:
On Feb 15, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

> tijgertje wrote:
>> So after that I wrote this simple jdbc program, I tried to test if
>> PostgreSQL supports stored procedures with the
>> supportsStoredProcedures method in the DatabaseMetaData class, but
>> the method returned false.
>
> It's hard-coded in the driver to return false.
>
> My guess is that this is because the driver doesn't comply with some
> detail of
> the JDBC or SQL specifications regarding stored procedures.  It's best
> to be
> very strict about claiming support for a feature when there are
> work-arounds
> involved for not really conforming.  Obviously, stored procedures by
> themselves are supported.
>
> The comment there talks about "stored procedure calls using the stored
> procedure escape syntax".  Not sure what that's referring to...

That refers to the JDBC escape syntax that supposedly allows consistent
procedure calling
across different database vendows. The whole IN/OUT thing with
CallableStatements, which
postgreSQL doesn't yet support.

Calling stored procedures is easy - select <function> for things that
return a value, or select
* from <function> for those things that return a result set, using
normal Statement objects.

> --
> www.designacourse.com
> The Easiest Way to Train Anyone... Anywhere.

> MindIQ Corporation

> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com