Re: jdbc supportsStoredProcedures

От Andrew Rawnsley
Тема Re: jdbc supportsStoredProcedures
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Feb 15, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

> tijgertje wrote:
>> So after that I wrote this simple jdbc program, I tried to test if
>> PostgreSQL supports stored procedures with the
>> supportsStoredProcedures method in the DatabaseMetaData class, but
>> the method returned false.
>
> It's hard-coded in the driver to return false.
>
> My guess is that this is because the driver doesn't comply with some
> detail of
> the JDBC or SQL specifications regarding stored procedures.  It's best
> to be
> very strict about claiming support for a feature when there are
> work-arounds
> involved for not really conforming.  Obviously, stored procedures by
> themselves are supported.
>
> The comment there talks about "stored procedure calls using the stored
> procedure escape syntax".  Not sure what that's referring to...

That refers to the JDBC escape syntax that supposedly allows consistent
procedure calling
across different database vendows. The whole IN/OUT thing with
CallableStatements, which
postgreSQL doesn't yet support.

Calling stored procedures is easy - select <function> for things that
return a value, or select
* from <function> for those things that return a result set, using
normal Statement objects.

> --
> www.designacourse.com
> The Easiest Way to Train Anyone... Anywhere.

> MindIQ Corporation

> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com