Обсуждение: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Kovács Péter
Дата:
Hi,

The jdbc7.1-1.2.jar package which I downloaded a few weeks ago from
jdbc.postgresql.org, does not contain the XA package from Exoffice? Was this
package intentionally left out from this build. Are there (licencing???)
problems with this package? The package still appears under the CVS source
tree, and it works excellently for me (except for  a small and easy to
repair problem which I would eventually like to discuss). (Please, also see
my reply to "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)".)

Thank you

Peter

Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:
The version on the web site doesn't contain the J2EE code since that
code is not complete, and may be buggy, as you found out. What was the
bug you fixed? Can you send details to the mailing list?

--- Kov�cs_P�ter <peter.kovacs@sysdata.siemens.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The jdbc7.1-1.2.jar package which I downloaded a few weeks ago from
> jdbc.postgresql.org, does not contain the XA package from Exoffice? Was
> this
> package intentionally left out from this build. Are there (licencing???)
> problems with this package? The package still appears under the CVS
> source
> tree, and it works excellently for me (except for  a small and easy to
> repair problem which I would eventually like to discuss). (Please, also
> see
> my reply to "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)".)
>
> Thank you
>
> Peter

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Kovács Péter
Дата:
The physical connection is not released in XAResourceImpl.commit() after a
successful commit (on the physical connection). This results in a constantly
increasing number of physical connections, even if only one physical
connection is needed at a time. (A physical connection gets
recycled/"garbage collected", as the package internal timer for the
transaction, in which the connection participated, expires.)

I admit that I do not have an extensive experience in writing tools for
distributed applications, but based on the JTA spec and on OMG's OTS spec it
seems to be pretty clear, that a resource manager has not much to do after a
normal commit or rollback -- only heuristic decision must be remembered and
accounted for later on, until forget is called on the XAResource.

XAResourceImpl.commit() may have been intentionally implemented so in the
Exoffice package, the author may have had some subtle considerations in
mind, but even if so, they do not have much relevance to PostgreSQL, because
all this is 2pc related stuff that is (as far as I know) not supported by
the PostgreSQL backend.

Peter

Дата:
Is the connection susposed to be released in the commit()?  I thought
that the application server would release it, and/or place the connection
back in the pool.  (I need to look at the spec)

Remember, the pooling side of the XA stuff for postgresql doesn't work
by itself.  I know tyrex has its own pooling system, but I had thought
that it required more behavior from the jdbc driver than we had.  Can
you create a patch so we can see your changes? I'd like to see what
changes you made.

--- Kov�cs_P�ter <peter.kovacs@sysdata.siemens.hu> wrote:
> The physical connection is not released in XAResourceImpl.commit() after
> successful commit (on the physical connection). This results in a
> constantly
> increasing number of physical connections, even if only one physical
> connection is needed at a time. (A physical connection gets
> recycled/"garbage collected", as the package internal timer for the
> transaction, in which the connection participated, expires.)

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
The code is still in CVS and can be built if you want.  It just isn't
included in the prebuilt jars on the website for the following reasons:

1)  The code is incomplete and doesn't support many aspects of the jdbc2
extentions that one might expect.  Thus posting a jdbc7.1-1.2ee.jar file
is misleading.

2)  It gets very confusing to the novice user when they have the option
to get a jdbc7.1-1.1.jar, jdbc7.1-1.2.jar and jdbc7.1-1.2ee.jar file.
Which one should I get?  (Having two is already bad enough, and when we
start supporting jdbc3 in the jdk1.4 we will be stuck supporing three)

3)  There has been little demand for prebuilt versions of this
particular functionality.  You are the first person that has asked about
it in over three months.

Now having said all of that, I would be very interested in understanding
how/why you use the functionality provided by these xa classes.

thanks,
--Barry

Kovács Péter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The jdbc7.1-1.2.jar package which I downloaded a few weeks ago from
> jdbc.postgresql.org, does not contain the XA package from Exoffice? Was this
> package intentionally left out from this build. Are there (licencing???)
> problems with this package? The package still appears under the CVS source
> tree, and it works excellently for me (except for  a small and easy to
> repair problem which I would eventually like to discuss). (Please, also see
> my reply to "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)".)
>
> Thank you
>
> Peter

Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:
--- Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> wrote:
> The code is still in CVS and can be built if you want.  It just isn't
> included in the prebuilt jars on the website for the following reasons:

[ .. ]

> 3)  There has been little demand for prebuilt versions of this
> particular functionality.  You are the first person that has asked about
> it in over three months.

Yeah, and I was that person three months ago. :-)

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Kovács Péter
Дата:
Barry,

My main point with my post was to clarify that there are no outstanding
legal issues with the Exoffice contribution. I am not very familiar with
legal issues (let alone copyright or licensing issues) and I was afraid that
the package was removed for such reasons. (Some of you on this list may
remember that not long ago a widely publicized open source application
server project was closed because of obscure legal issues.)

Also, if support for this kind of functionality (transaction support -- even
if it is limited to isolated ("local") transactions) is discontinued as part
of PostgreSQL, for purely efficiency reasons I would have to consider to
integrate this package into my own package structure, which leads me back to
the tricky domain of legal concerns.

> 1)  The code is incomplete and doesn't support many aspects
> of the jdbc2
> extentions that one might expect.  Thus posting a

Where do you see incompleteness in the code? Does this incompleteness
relates to functionality relevant to PostgreSQL?

I think that a quick look at the package structure of the xa classes (there
is actually no structure, just one package) makes it obvious what they're
for (which aspects of the jdbc2 extensions they're cover). The only
extension these classes do not support seem to be RowSets. Since this
package does not contain a class named 'RowSet' (or even close to it), one
would instantly see (however novice she may be and even if she did not read
the pertaining section of the accompanying readme file [to be written :-)])
that this feature is not supported.

Also, I am not sure, if there should be a separate jdbc7.1-1.2ee.jar file.
This package implements optional/extended features which do not (should not)
conflict with the basic jdbc2 functionality. There could be one single
jdbc7.1-1.2.jar file with extensions, and if someone wants to use an
extensions uses it.

I suggest that we close this thread and continue the discussion on the
closely related "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)" thread,
since there's no point to maintain two separate threads on the same issue.

> Now having said all of that, I would be very interested in
> understanding
> how/why you use the functionality provided by these xa classes.

Please, refer to the thread "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For
7.3)" on this same list.

Thank you.

Peter

Re: Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:
(I'm replying using the thread-name you wanted.)

--- Kov�cs_P�ter <peter.kovacs@sysdata.siemens.hu> wrote:
> My main point with my post was to clarify that there are no outstanding
> legal issues with the Exoffice contribution. I am not very familiar with

There are no legal issues to worry about.  Exoffice (now known as
Intalio's
exolab project) code was/is BSD-based licensed, which is completely
integrated to the driver.  So no worries there.

> Also, if support for this kind of functionality (transaction support --
> even if it is limited to isolated ("local") transactions) is
discontinued
> as part of PostgreSQL, for purely efficiency reasons I would have to

I feel confident in saying the following: (Disclaimer, I'm not a
CVS committer, just a code submitter.)

Transaction support in PostgreSQL will _never_ be discontinued. Ever.
If it ever does, many people will migrate away from from PostgreSQL.
If anything, transaction support will be expanded, so no worries here
either.

> Where do you see incompleteness in the code? Does this incompleteness
> relates to functionality relevant to PostgreSQL?

XA support is incomplete simply because PostgreSQL doesn't support
two-phase commits. How can one test it otherwise? TP monitors aren't
that useful with a database that only works in (as you say) 'local'
mode for transactions.

> for (which aspects of the jdbc2 extensions they're cover). The only
> extension these classes do not support seem to be RowSets. Since this
> package does not contain a class named 'RowSet' (or even close to it)

Yes.  I'm planning to work on rowsets once I get the pooling stuff
complete. It would be great if you wanted to help on that too. (And
anyone else, for that fact)

Note that I don't think the current Pooled API connections are complete
either.  The api is there, but the functionality behind the api is
not correct. (Example, if a SQL error occurs, ConnectionEventListeners
are not informed)

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Peter,

Quite honestly this code was there before I started working on postgres.
  So I have always assumed that there were no lisensing issues.  However
I will ping the hackers list to verify.

However, I don't think there is a problem here either way.  Since
ultimately we want to support the full jdbc API, we will always want to
provide this functionality.  So even if there were license problems all
that would mean was that we would need to reimplement this functionality
ourselves.  It wouldn't be fun, but wouldn't be that hard either.

thanks,
--Barry