Обсуждение: Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase

Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase

От
"Gilley, Charles H."
Дата:
I'm trying to move an existing access database to Postgres.
I've tried cut/paste, export/import, all without success.  Trying the
transfer database approach, I receive the following error:

    Error creating the table; ERROR type name lookup of lo failed (#17).

From the odbc log file, Access is trying to create a series of fields that
I do not know where they are coming from:

..."Gen_Note" int4,"s_Generation" int4,"s_GUID" bytea,"s_Lineage" lo,...

Maybe someone has dealt with this issue before.

Re: [INTERFACES] Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase

От
Byron Nikolaidis

Gilley, Charles H. wrote:

> I'm trying to move an existing access database to Postgres.
> I've tried cut/paste, export/import, all without success.  Trying the
> transfer database approach, I receive the following error:
>
>         Error creating the table; ERROR type name lookup of lo failed (#17).

You need to create the "lo" datatype in the postgres database.  See the Faq at
our website for more info.http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc

Byron

[INTERFACES] Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase

От
Patricia Rodriguez-Tome
Дата:
Hello everybody,

Thanks to all the previous mails (questions + answers) that went these lasts
days on this list I had (almost) no problems in installing the ODBC driver.

Now I want to transfert also an Access db to postgres.

I am doing it manually - ie table per table using the Save/As export in the
file menu
It is quite tedious. Has anybody found a faster way of doing it?

I am extremely unfamiliar with PCs and would like to keep my ignorance as
intact as I can ;-)

The final purpose is  to build a CORBA server on top of the database, and I
rather do that on Unix + PostgresSQL!

Thanks for any ideas

regards

Pat R.Tome
Dr. Patricia Rodriguez-Tome        | URL:  http://www.ebi.ac.uk
R & D Coordinator
The EMBL Outstation, Hinxton - The European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust genome Campus, Hinxton    | Tel:    +44 (0)1223 494 409
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK            | Fax:    +44 (0)1223 494 468

Re: [INTERFACES] Postgresql vs. Access97, TransferDatabase

От
David Hartwig

"Gilley, Charles H." wrote:

> I'm trying to move an existing access database to Postgres.
> I've tried cut/paste, export/import, all without success.  Trying the
> transfer database approach, I receive the following error:
>
>         Error creating the table; ERROR type name lookup of lo failed (#17).
>
> >From the odbc log file, Access is trying to create a series of fields that
> I do not know where they are coming from:
>
> ..."Gen_Note" int4,"s_Generation" int4,"s_GUID" bytea,"s_Lineage" lo,...
>
> Maybe someone has dealt with this issue before.

It looks like you have an OLE column (large object) in your table.    Follow the
instruction contained in our FAQ for creating the "lo" data type on the server
side:   http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc