Обсуждение: brin_summarize_new_values error checking

brin_summarize_new_values error checking

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
In reviewing one of my patches[1], Fujii-san has pointed out that I
didn't include checks for being in recovery, or for working on another
backend's temporary index.

I think that brin_summarize_new_values in 9.5.0 commits those same
sins. In its case, I don't think those are critical, as they just
result in getting less specific error messages that one might hope
for, rather than something worse like a panic.

But still, we might want to address them.

Cheers,

Jeff

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHGQGwH=M1BAEJPQdpJjCneqwg8Xa+P8SB+ZsvhVwH6gL2J46w@mail.gmail.com

Re: brin_summarize_new_values error checking

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> In reviewing one of my patches[1], Fujii-san has pointed out that I
> didn't include checks for being in recovery, or for working on another
> backend's temporary index.
>
> I think that brin_summarize_new_values in 9.5.0 commits those same
> sins. In its case, I don't think those are critical, as they just
> result in getting less specific error messages that one might hope
> for, rather than something worse like a panic.
>
> But still, we might want to address them.

Agreed to add those checks. Also, I think we should document that
index maintenance functions cannot be executed during recovery.

Fujii Masao

Re: brin_summarize_new_values error checking

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In reviewing one of my patches[1], Fujii-san has pointed out that I
>> didn't include checks for being in recovery, or for working on another
>> backend's temporary index.
>>
>> I think that brin_summarize_new_values in 9.5.0 commits those same
>> sins. In its case, I don't think those are critical, as they just
>> result in getting less specific error messages that one might hope
>> for, rather than something worse like a panic.
>>
>> But still, we might want to address them.
>
> Agreed to add those checks.

Attached patch does this.

Fujii Masao

Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] brin_summarize_new_values error checking

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> In reviewing one of my patches[1], Fujii-san has pointed out that I
> >> didn't include checks for being in recovery, or for working on another
> >> backend's temporary index.
> >>
> >> I think that brin_summarize_new_values in 9.5.0 commits those same
> >> sins. In its case, I don't think those are critical, as they just
> >> result in getting less specific error messages that one might hope
> >> for, rather than something worse like a panic.
> >>
> >> But still, we might want to address them.
> >
> > Agreed to add those checks.
>
> Attached patch does this.

Uh, I just realized you never applied this patch ... Will you do so now?