Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 03:05:57PM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> > However, if we pass these items into the scripts, we then force
> > these values to be used, even if the user wants to use a different
> > value.  It is a balance between supplying defaults vs. requiring the
> > user to supply or change the values used during the ugprade.
> >
> > At this point, I have favored _not_ supplying defaults in the
> > script.  Do you have an alternative argument in favor of supplying
> > defaults?
>

> Well, the story really began when I ran initdb with a -U arg. vacuumdb
> takes the -U also, but pg_upgrade does not.
>
> It seems like if I have to supply a -u in order to get pg_upgrade
> to function in the case where there is no default superuser in the
> cluster, then an associated vacuumdb command requires a -U arg.
>
> Perhaps just documenting the behavior is all that is needed, but -U is
> everywhere and I think that's a good thing.

[ moved to hacker ]

Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
as an undocumented option.

I have applied the attached patch to document that you might need to set
connection parameters for vacuumdb.

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/28/2013 07:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> Perhaps just documenting the behavior is all that is needed, but -U is
>> everywhere and I think that's a good thing.
>
> [ moved to hacker ]
>
> Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
> as an undocumented option.

Yes, -U makes the most sense as that is what is used with the other
tools. I think you should just drop -u, this isn't something people are
doing everyday (like psql). The backward compatibility argument is
pretty slim.

JD

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On May 28, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 03:05:57PM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
>>> However, if we pass these items into the scripts, we then force
>>> these values to be used, even if the user wants to use a different
>>> value.  It is a balance between supplying defaults vs. requiring the
>>> user to supply or change the values used during the ugprade.
>>>
>>> At this point, I have favored _not_ supplying defaults in the
>>> script.  Do you have an alternative argument in favor of supplying
>>> defaults?
>>

>> Well, the story really began when I ran initdb with a -U arg. vacuumdb
>> takes the -U also, but pg_upgrade does not.
>>
>> It seems like if I have to supply a -u in order to get pg_upgrade
>> to function in the case where there is no default superuser in the
>> cluster, then an associated vacuumdb command requires a -U arg.
>>
>> Perhaps just documenting the behavior is all that is needed, but -U is
>> everywhere and I think that's a good thing.
>
> [ moved to hacker ]
>
> Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
> as an undocumented option.

That would make for consistency, but not change the broken behavior.  Comments on this below.

> I have applied the attached patch to document that you might need to set
> connection parameters for vacuumdb.

That will work as this is not a big deal, but have to admit, I didn't understand the logic you posted in your question.
 If the src cluster has a alternate superuser (from initdb -U), and the the pg_upgrade command has to be supplied a
-u/-Uin order to work with the src cluster, why would you assume somehow the output cluster has changed to the default
superuserwhen you build the vacuum script on the other side of pg_upgrade?   Is that even possible to accomplish?  Your
statementabout "forcing the values" throws me, as it seems to me the user is requesting the variation.  I have not dug
intopg_upgrade's guts, so I may just be uninformed.

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 5/28/13 10:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
> as an undocumented option.

It seems to me that that option shouldn't be necessary anyway.
pg_upgrade should somehow be able to find out by itself what the
superuser of the old cluster was.

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 08:59:42AM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> > [ moved to hacker ]
> >
> > Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> > Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting
> > -u as an undocumented option.
>
> That would make for consistency, but not change the broken behavior.
> Comments on this below.
>

> > I have applied the attached patch to document that you might need to
> > set connection parameters for vacuumdb.
>
> That will work as this is not a big deal, but have to admit, I didn't
> understand the logic you posted in your question.  If the src cluster
> has a alternate superuser (from initdb -U), and the the pg_upgrade
> command has to be supplied a -u/-U in order to work with the src
> cluster, why would you assume somehow the output cluster has changed
> to the default superuser when you build the vacuum script on the
> other side of pg_upgrade?  Is that even possible to accomplish?  Your
> statement about "forcing the values" throws me, as it seems to me the
> user is requesting the variation.  I have not dug into pg_upgrade's
> guts, so I may just be uninformed.

OK, so let's look again at what you can supply to pg_upgrade for
new cluster connections:
 -O, --new-options=OPTIONS     new cluster options to pass to the server -P, --new-port=NEWPORT        new cluster port
number(default 50432) -u, --user=NAME               cluster superuser (default "postgres")

So, probably all of these _could_ be propagated to created scripts, like
analyze_new_cluster.sh.  However, if we do that, we hardwire these
values into the script, meaning you can't override them with environment
variables like PGUSER.  The question is whether hard-wiring these helps
more than it hurts, and which ones should be hard-wired.

One new idea would be to add "$@" to the vacuumdb script parameters so
users could supply their own "-U myuser" options to the script.  That is
easy to do for Unix, which I assume all support "$@", but perhaps hard
for Windows.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On May 29, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 08:59:42AM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
>>> [ moved to hacker ]
>>> The question is whether hard-wiring these helps more than it hurts, and which ones should be hard-wired.

I seems to me that superuser is exactly that special case and that if an alternate superuser is hardwired in the src
clusterthen -u/-U and that specific value will be required on both sides of pg_upgrade, no variability is needed and
perhapsnot possible.  You're point is well taken for port.

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 09:08:03PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 05/28/2013 07:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >>Perhaps just documenting the behavior is all that is needed, but -U is
> >>everywhere and I think that's a good thing.
> >
> >[ moved to hacker ]
> >
> >Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> >Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
> >as an undocumented option.
>
> Yes, -U makes the most sense as that is what is used with the other
> tools. I think you should just drop -u, this isn't something people
> are doing everyday (like psql). The backward compatibility argument
> is pretty slim.

Done for 9.4.  I also simplified some of the option values in --help and
the docs.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:44:00AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 5/28/13 10:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> > Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
> > as an undocumented option.
>
> It seems to me that that option shouldn't be necessary anyway.
> pg_upgrade should somehow be able to find out by itself what the
> superuser of the old cluster was.

Uh, any idea how to do that?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 08:42:21AM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:

> I seems to me that superuser is exactly that special case and that if
> an alternate superuser is hardwired in the src cluster then -u/-U and
> that specific value will be required on both sides of pg_upgrade, no
> variability is needed and perhaps not possible.  You're point is well
> taken for port.

You have convinced me.  The attached, applied patch for PG 9.4 passes
the command-line-supplied username into the created analyze script.

I have also attached a sample output analyze script.

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/28/13 6:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:44:00AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 5/28/13 10:55 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
>>> Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting -u
>>> as an undocumented option.
>>
>> It seems to me that that option shouldn't be necessary anyway.
>> pg_upgrade should somehow be able to find out by itself what the
>> superuser of the old cluster was.
>
> Uh, any idea how to do that?

select rolname from pg_authid where oid = 10;

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:15:31PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/28/13 6:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems to me that that option shouldn't be necessary anyway.
> >> pg_upgrade should somehow be able to find out by itself what the
> >> superuser of the old cluster was.
> >
> > Uh, any idea how to do that?
>
> select rolname from pg_authid where oid = 10;

Uh, how do I know what username to connect as to issue that query?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
> On 6/28/13 6:06 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:44:00AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> pg_upgrade should somehow be able to find out by itself what the
>>> superuser of the old cluster was.

>> Uh, any idea how to do that?

> select rolname from pg_authid where oid = 10;

But that only works if you've already been able to connect, no?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/28/13 9:43 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:15:31PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> Uh, any idea how to do that?
>>
>> select rolname from pg_authid where oid = 10;
>
> Uh, how do I know what username to connect as to issue that query?

single-user mode?

Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u

Дата:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:59:58PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/28/13 9:43 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >> select rolname from pg_authid where oid = 10;
> >
> > Uh, how do I know what username to connect as to issue that query?
>
> single-user mode?

Yes, but single-user mode is a whole new set of problems.

http://enterprisedb.com