Обсуждение: use of int4/int32 in C code

use of int4/int32 in C code

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
What is the latest theory on using int4 vs. int32 in C code?

(equivalently int2, int16)

I had the idea that using int4 was sort of deprecated, and most code
uses int32, but I've come across several uses of int4 lately that looked
odd to me.

I think the main reason that we define int4 in C is for the
src/include/catalog/ files, but that won't work anymore if we ever want
to have an int8 column there.

Ideas:

* Leave it be.

* Replace int4 by int32 everywhere except in the catalog files.  Hope it
stays that way.

* Mark int4 as deprecated, change catalog files to use int32, adjust the
bki generation scripts.  (I think removing int4 might not be wise, as
external modules might be using it.)

While we're at it, how do we feel about using C standard types like
int32_t instead of (or initially in addition to) our own definitions?
These are well established by now and would help modernize our code and
the code of extensions a bit.

Re: use of int4/int32 in C code

Дата:
> What is the latest theory on using int4 vs. int32 in C code?
> (equivalently int2, int16)

I thought the general idea was to use int32 most places, but int4 in
catalog declarations.  I don't think it's tremendously important if
somebody uses the other though.

> While we're at it, how do we feel about using C standard types like
> int32_t instead of (or initially in addition to) our own definitions?

Can't get very excited about this either.  The most likely outcome of
a campaign to substitute the standard types is that back-patching would
become a truly painful activity.  IMO, anything that is going to result
in tens of thousands of diffs had better have a more-than-cosmetic
reason.  (That wouldn't apply if we only used int32_t in new code ...
but then, instead of two approved ways to do it, there would be three.
Which doesn't seem like it improves matters.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: use of int4/int32 in C code

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> What is the latest theory on using int4 vs. int32 in C code?
>> (equivalently int2, int16)
>
> I thought the general idea was to use int32 most places, but int4 in
> catalog declarations.  I don't think it's tremendously important if
> somebody uses the other though.

I concur with Peter that TMTOWTDI is not the right way to do this.  I
think we ought to get rid of int4 in code and use int32 everywhere.

>> While we're at it, how do we feel about using C standard types like
>> int32_t instead of (or initially in addition to) our own definitions?
>
> Can't get very excited about this either.  The most likely outcome of
> a campaign to substitute the standard types is that back-patching would
> become a truly painful activity.  IMO, anything that is going to result
> in tens of thousands of diffs had better have a more-than-cosmetic
> reason.  (That wouldn't apply if we only used int32_t in new code ...
> but then, instead of two approved ways to do it, there would be three.
> Which doesn't seem like it improves matters.)

On this one, I agree with you.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: use of int4/int32 in C code

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 19 June 2012 20:11, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
>>> What is the latest theory on using int4 vs. int32 in C code?
>>> (equivalently int2, int16)
>>
>> I thought the general idea was to use int32 most places, but int4 in
>> catalog declarations.  I don't think it's tremendously important if
>> somebody uses the other though.
>
> I concur with Peter that TMTOWTDI is not the right way to do this.  I
> think we ought to get rid of int4 in code and use int32 everywhere.
>
>>> While we're at it, how do we feel about using C standard types like
>>> int32_t instead of (or initially in addition to) our own definitions?
>>
>> Can't get very excited about this either.  The most likely outcome of
>> a campaign to substitute the standard types is that back-patching would
>> become a truly painful activity.  IMO, anything that is going to result
>> in tens of thousands of diffs had better have a more-than-cosmetic
>> reason.  (That wouldn't apply if we only used int32_t in new code ...
>> but then, instead of two approved ways to do it, there would be three.
>> Which doesn't seem like it improves matters.)
>
> On this one, I agree with you.

Yeah. I find pgindent changes annoying when doing a git blame myself.
Now, granted, you can mostly take care of that by having the tool
ignore whitespace changes, but that doesn't always work perfectly, and
I haven't been able to figure out a better way of managing that.

Re: use of int4/int32 in C code

Дата:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I thought the general idea was to use int32 most places, but int4 in
>> catalog declarations.  I don't think it's tremendously important if
>> somebody uses the other though.

> I concur with Peter that TMTOWTDI is not the right way to do this.  I
> think we ought to get rid of int4 in code and use int32 everywhere.

I have not looked to see how many places do that.  If it's a reasonably
small number of places, I'm OK with getting rid of int4 at the C level.
(int2/int8 the same of course.)

If we are going to do that, though, we need to actually remove those
typedefs.  Leaving them around on the grounds that third-party code
might be using them will just allow cases to creep back in.
        regards, tom lane

Re: use of int4/int32 in C code

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I have not looked to see how many places do that.  If it's a
reasonably
> small number of places, I'm OK with getting rid of int4 at the C
level.
> (int2/int8 the same of course.)
$ find -name '*.h' -or -name '*.c' | egrep -v '/tmp_check/' | xargs cat
\
 | egrep -c '\bint2\b'
178
 | egrep -c '\bint4\b'
570
 | egrep -c '\bint8\b'
212
-Kevin

Re: use of int4/int32 in C code

Дата:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I have not looked to see how many places do that.  If it's a reasonably
>> small number of places, I'm OK with getting rid of int4 at the C level.
>> (int2/int8 the same of course.)
> $ find -name '*.h' -or -name '*.c' | egrep -v '/tmp_check/' | xargs cat
>   | egrep -c '\bint4\b'
> 570

That one looks like a lot, but a quick eyeball check suggests that many
of them are in comments and/or embedded SQL fragments where they
actually represent references to the SQL datatype, and so should be
left alone.  The impression I get is that the actual typedef uses are
concentrated in a couple of contrib modules and some of the tsearch
stuff, where they'd probably not be that painful to fix.
        regards, tom lane