Обсуждение: Draft release notes

Draft release notes

Дата:
Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
review:
http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease

I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.

Re: Draft release notes

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2006-09-14 kell 01:12, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> review:
>
>     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.

You should leave my name out from plpython enchancements, the actual
programming was all done by Sven.

* Add named parameters to plpython args[] array (Hannu Krosing, Sven Suursoho)
* Return composite-types from plpython as dictionary (Hannu Krosing,
Sven Suursoho)  * Return result-set from plpython as list, iterator or generator   (Hannu Krosing, Sven Suursoho)
--
----------------
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com

Re: Draft release notes

От
"Guillaume Smet"
Дата:
On 9/14/06, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> review:
>
>         http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease

AFAICS the log_duration behaviour change made by Tom a few days ago is
not there.

--
Guillaume

Re: Draft release notes

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
* Improve multicolumn GiST index (oleg,teodor)
* GiST indexes now are clusterable (teodor)
* tsearch2 improvements (oleg, teodor):  - multibyte encoding support (including UTF8)  - query rewriting support  -
improveranking functions  - thesaurus dictionary  - Ispell dictionary now recognize MySpell format, used by OpenOffice.
- support of GIN

* new operators for one-dimensional array (<@, @>, &&) with  GIN support (teodor)

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> review:
>
>     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.

  WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: Draft release notes

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
>review:
>
>    http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
>I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
>8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.

* Allow regression tests to be run on Win32 without MinGW (Magnus, Tom)

This is not entirsely correect. What was done was a re-implementation of
pg_regress in C from shellscript. This is a prerequisite for running the
tests completely without mingw, but you can't do that yet (there needs
to be rules in the VC build stuff to deal with the regression output
files that need to be edited, for example - this is done with sed from
the Makefile today.

//Magnus

Re: Draft release notes

От
"Sergey E. Koposov"
Дата:
The list of functions for:
* Add SQL2003-standard statistical aggregates (Sergey Koposov)

regr_intercept, regr_slope, regr_r2, corr, covar_samp, covar_pop,
regr_avgx, regr_avgy, regr_sxy, regr_sxx, regr_syy, regr_count

Also, I guess that the point
* Aggregate functions now support multiple input arguments (Tom)
should be
* Aggregate functions now support multiple input arguments (Sergey Koposov, Tom)
instead

Regards,    Sergey
Sergey E. Koposov
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy/Sternberg Astronomical Institute
Tel: +49-6221-528-349
Web: http://lnfm1.sai.msu.ru/~math
E-mail: math@sai.msu.ru

Re: Draft release notes

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 01:12 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> review:
>
>     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.

A few changes:

- Improve COPY performance (Alon Goldshuv)
- Optimize the locking used by sequential scans (Qingqing Zhou)

- Re-enable full_page_writes (Tom)
This flag can now be used even with PITR. It is turned **on** (not off!)
automatically between pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() calls.

- Add support for forcing a switch to a new xlog file (Simon Riggs)
...should include Tom

- Improve performance of replaying WAL logs on a backup server (Simon
Riggs)
...I describe this as Restartable Recovery... don't think it improves
performance exactly, just avoids needing to re-run it from scratch

My memory says this was eventually removed, even though it was committed
for a time. Am I wrong?
- Make EXPLAIN sampling smarter, to avoid excessive sampling delay
(Martijn van Oosterhout)

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Draft release notes

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> review:
>
>     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.

Add support for Windows codepages 1253, 1254, 1255, and 1257 (Peter)

This was actually me.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-02/msg00039.php

Kris Jurka

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> ?hel kenal p?eval, N, 2006-09-14 kell 01:12, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> > Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> > review:
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
> >
> > I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> > 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.
>
> You should leave my name out from plpython enchancements, the actual
> programming was all done by Sven.
>
> * Add named parameters to plpython args[] array (Hannu Krosing, Sven Suursoho)
> * Return composite-types from plpython as dictionary (Hannu Krosing,
> Sven Suursoho)
>   * Return result-set from plpython as list, iterator or generator
>     (Hannu Krosing, Sven Suursoho)

OK, updated.

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
Guillaume Smet wrote:
> On 9/14/06, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> > review:
> >
> >         http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> AFAICS the log_duration behaviour change made by Tom a few days ago is
> not there.

The top says:
[ CURRENT AS OF 2006-09-07 ]

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
Great. Added:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgrelease

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
> * Improve multicolumn GiST index (oleg,teodor)
> * GiST indexes now are clusterable (teodor)
> * tsearch2 improvements (oleg, teodor):
>    - multibyte encoding support (including UTF8)
>    - query rewriting support
>    - improve ranking functions
>    - thesaurus dictionary
>    - Ispell dictionary now recognize MySpell format, used by OpenOffice.
>    - support of GIN
> * new operators for one-dimensional array (<@, @>, &&) with
>    GIN support (teodor)
>

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> > review:
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
> >
> > I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> > 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.
> >

> --
> Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru
>                                                     WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> >review:
> >
> >    http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
> >
> >I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> >8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.
>
> * Allow regression tests to be run on Win32 without MinGW (Magnus, Tom)
>
> This is not entirsely correect. What was done was a re-implementation of
> pg_regress in C from shellscript. This is a prerequisite for running the
> tests completely without mingw, but you can't do that yet (there needs
> to be rules in the VC build stuff to deal with the regression output
> files that need to be edited, for example - this is done with sed from
> the Makefile today.

OK, updated wording:
* Reimplement the regression test as a C program (Magnus, Tom)

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
OK, all updated.  Thanks.

Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
> The list of functions for:
> * Add SQL2003-standard statistical aggregates (Sergey Koposov)
>
> regr_intercept, regr_slope, regr_r2, corr, covar_samp, covar_pop,
> regr_avgx, regr_avgy, regr_sxy, regr_sxx, regr_syy, regr_count
>
> Also, I guess that the point
> * Aggregate functions now support multiple input arguments (Tom)
> should be
> * Aggregate functions now support multiple input arguments (Sergey Koposov, Tom)
> instead
>
> Regards,
>      Sergey
> Sergey E. Koposov
> Max Planck Institute for Astronomy/Sternberg Astronomical Institute
> Tel: +49-6221-528-349
> Web: http://lnfm1.sai.msu.ru/~math
> E-mail: math@sai.msu.ru

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 01:12 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> > review:
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
> >
> > I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> > 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.
>
> A few changes:
>
> - Improve COPY performance (Alon Goldshuv)
> - Optimize the locking used by sequential scans (Qingqing Zhou)
>
> - Re-enable full_page_writes (Tom)
> This flag can now be used even with PITR. It is turned **on** (not off!)
> automatically between pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() calls.
>
> - Add support for forcing a switch to a new xlog file (Simon Riggs)
> ...should include Tom

OK, done.

> - Improve performance of replaying WAL logs on a backup server (Simon
> Riggs)
> ...I describe this as Restartable Recovery... don't think it improves
> performance exactly, just avoids needing to re-run it from scratch

OK, new wording:
* Allow WAL replay to be restared quicker in case of a crash (Simon  Riggs)  The improvement is to do periodic
checkpointsduring WAL recovery, so  if there is a crash, future WAL recovery is shortened.

> My memory says this was eventually removed, even though it was committed
> for a time. Am I wrong?
> - Make EXPLAIN sampling smarter, to avoid excessive sampling delay
> (Martijn van Oosterhout)

I see a reversion for EXPLAIN ANALYZE only:
date: 2006/06/09 19:30:56;  author: tgl;  state: Exp;  lines: +27 -172Revert sampling patch for EXPLAIN ANALYZE; it
turnsout to be toounreliable because node timing is much less predictable than the patchexpects.  I kept the API change
forInstrStopNode, however.

so the item is probably still OK.

Re: Draft release notes

Дата:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> My memory says this was eventually removed, even though it was committed
>> for a time. Am I wrong?
>> - Make EXPLAIN sampling smarter, to avoid excessive sampling delay
>> (Martijn van Oosterhout)

> I see a reversion for EXPLAIN ANALYZE only:

>     date: 2006/06/09 19:30:56;  author: tgl;  state: Exp;  lines: +27 -172
>     Revert sampling patch for EXPLAIN ANALYZE; it turns out to be too
>     unreliable because node timing is much less predictable than the patch
>     expects.  I kept the API change for InstrStopNode, however.

> so the item is probably still OK.

No, Simon is right, that entry should be removed --- there's nothing
interesting left of the patch :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: Draft release notes

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> My memory says this was eventually removed, even though it was committed
> >> for a time. Am I wrong?
> >> - Make EXPLAIN sampling smarter, to avoid excessive sampling delay
> >> (Martijn van Oosterhout)
>
> > I see a reversion for EXPLAIN ANALYZE only:
>
> >     date: 2006/06/09 19:30:56;  author: tgl;  state: Exp;  lines: +27 -172
> >     Revert sampling patch for EXPLAIN ANALYZE; it turns out to be too
> >     unreliable because node timing is much less predictable than the patch
> >     expects.  I kept the API change for InstrStopNode, however.
>
> > so the item is probably still OK.
>
> No, Simon is right, that entry should be removed --- there's nothing
> interesting left of the patch :-(

I see.  Removed.

Re: Draft release notes

Дата: