Обсуждение: psql patch: new host/port

psql patch: new host/port

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

Please find enclosed a patch that lets you use \c to connect
(optionally) to a new host and port without exiting psql.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Вложения

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Dec 9, 2005, at 18:10 , David Fetter wrote:

> Please find enclosed a patch that lets you use \c to connect
> (optionally) to a new host and port without exiting psql.

I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but is
this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I assume?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but is
> this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I assume?

You don't need to be familiar with the psql code to know that it would
be pretty stupid if client programs could override the server
authentication setup.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Dec 12, 2005, at 20:33 , Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but is
>> this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I assume?
>
> You don't need to be familiar with the psql code to know that it would
> be pretty stupid if client programs could override the server
> authentication setup.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was I'm not familiar enough
with the code to see if this implementation is secure. I do indeed
realize that clients bypassing server authentication is a Bad Thing.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
"Andrew Dunstan"
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann said:

> On Dec 12, 2005, at 20:33 , Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>>> I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but is
>>> this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I assume?
>>
>> You don't need to be familiar with the psql code to know that it would
>> be pretty stupid if client programs could override the server
>> authentication setup.
>
> I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was I'm not familiar enough
> with the code to see if this implementation is secure. I do indeed
> realize that clients bypassing server authentication is a Bad Thing.

The patch is to the client only, not even to libpq, so of course no auth
bypass is involved.

cheers

andrew

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Dec 12, 2005, at 21:32 , Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> The patch is to the client only, not even to libpq, so of course no
> auth
> bypass is involved.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation, Andrew.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:20:57PM +0900, Michael Glaesmann wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2005, at 21:32 , Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
> >The patch is to the client only, not even to libpq, so of course no
> >auth bypass is involved.
>
> Cool. Thanks for the explanation, Andrew.

Is the patch suitable for a re-send to -patches?

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: psql patch: new host/port

Дата:
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> On Dec 9, 2005, at 18:10 , David Fetter wrote:
>> Please find enclosed a patch that lets you use \c to connect
>> (optionally) to a new host and port without exiting psql.

> I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but is
> this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I assume?

No, security is the server's problem.

What's not clear to me about this patch is what's the point.  It's
certainly not a feature we've heard any requests for.
        regards, tom lane

Re: psql patch: new host/port

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:19:00AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> > On Dec 9, 2005, at 18:10 , David Fetter wrote:
> >> Please find enclosed a patch that lets you use \c to connect
> >> (optionally) to a new host and port without exiting psql.
>
> > I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but
> > is  this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I
> > assume?
>
> No, security is the server's problem.
>
> What's not clear to me about this patch is what's the point.  It's
> certainly not a feature we've heard any requests for.

Informally, I've heard some carping about how you can change DBs on
one server, but you have to exit the program if you want to change
servers.  The change is low-impact because \c continues to work
exactly as before when supplied with < 3 arguments :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!