Обсуждение: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Fredrik Olsson
Дата:
Hi.

In the course of porting a database from Microsoft SQL Server to
PostgreSQL I have rewritten a few of the date and string functions in
pl/pgSQL. Started with just datepart, datediff and soundex, but once
started I continued and rewrote all date/time and string functions
supported by MS SQL 2005. Leaving only compatibility with
unicode-handling and binary objects (that MS SQL Server for some reason
overloads string functions to work with).

I guess I am not the only one moving from MS SQL Server, so is there
interest for others to use my work, as a contrib perhaps. And how should
I continue from here in that case?

regards

--
//Fredrik Olsson Treyst AB +46-19-362182 fredrik.olsson@treyst.se

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
"Bill Bartlett"
Дата:
I'd be _very_ interested.  I'll also volunteer to help out on this if
you need assistance -- we have somewhat of a mixed environment here, so
I already have a few (simple) functions that allow some compatibility
between MS SQL Server and PostgreSQL (supporting "nextval" on SQL
Server, etc.), but it sounds like your work has gone far beyond my work.

- Bill

> Hi.
>
> In the course of porting a database from Microsoft SQL Server to
> PostgreSQL I have rewritten a few of the date and string functions in
> pl/pgSQL. Started with just datepart, datediff and soundex, but once
> started I continued and rewrote all date/time and string functions
> supported by MS SQL 2005. Leaving only compatibility with
> unicode-handling and binary objects (that MS SQL Server for
> some reason
> overloads string functions to work with).
>
> I guess I am not the only one moving from MS SQL Server, so is there
> interest for others to use my work, as a contrib perhaps. And
> how should
> I continue from here in that case?
>
> regards
>
> --
> //Fredrik Olsson
>   Treyst AB
>   +46-19-362182
>   fredrik.olsson@treyst.se

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
"Pollard, Mike"
Дата:
If this gets added as a contrib, here's a version of uniqueidentifier
and newid() I wrote that maintains the same format as the SQL Server
version:

CREATE SCHEMA sqlserver AUTHORIZATION postgres;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA sqlserver TO public;

CREATE SEQUENCE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier0 INCREMENT 1 MINVALUE 0 MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807 START 0 CACHE 1;
GRANT ALL ON TABLE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier0 TO public;

CREATE SEQUENCE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1 INCREMENT 1 MINVALUE 0 MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807 START 0 CACHE 1;
GRANT ALL ON TABLE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1 TO public;

--
-- use newid(n) to increment the sequences n times.  Useful
-- for testing and timing the newid() function.

--
-- use newid() to acquire the next uniqueidentifier value.
-- This uses two sequences.  Since a sequence returns an
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION sqlserver.newid()
RETURNS CHAR(36) AS $$
DECLARE numbers0 CHAR(16); numbers1 CHAR(16); formatted_id CHAR(36); sq0 INT8; sq1 INT8;
BEGIN   -- get the current sequence values SELECT INTO sq0 last_value FROM sqlserver.uniqueidentifier0; SELECT INTO sq1
last_valueFROM sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1;    -- if sq1 is wrapped, then increment sq0 and restart sq1 at 0 IF (sq1 =
9223372036854775807)THEN   sq0 := NEXTVAL('sqlserver.uniqueidentifier0');   sq1 :=
SETVAL('sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1',0);     -- get nextval; ensures no race condition   sq1 :=
NEXTVAL('sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1');ELSE   sq1 := NEXTVAL('sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1'); END IF;
 numbers0 := UPPER(LPAD(TO_HEX(sq0), 16, '0')); numbers1 := UPPER(LPAD(TO_HEX(sq1), 16, '0'));formatted_id :=
SUBSTRING(numbers0,1, 8) || '-' ||
SUBSTRING(numbers0, 9, 4) || '-' || SUBSTRING(numbers0, 13, 4) ||                 '-' || SUBSTRING(numbers1, 1, 4) ||
'-'||
SUBSTRING(numbers1, 5, 12);
 return(formatted_id);
END;$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE DOMAIN sqlserver.uniqueidentifier AS char(36) DEFAULT sqlserver.newid();

Mike Pollard
SUPRA Server SQL Engineering and Support
Cincom Systems, Inc.
--------------------------------Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and
remove all doubt.        Abraham Lincoln

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Fredrik Olsson wrote:

<snip>
> I guess I am not the only one moving from MS SQL Server, so is there interest
> for others to use my work, as a contrib perhaps. And how should I continue
> from here in that case?

I'd start a new project at pgfoundry and then would begin talking about a
contrib module.

Devrim GUNDUZ
Kivi Bilişim Teknolojileri - http://www.kivi.com.tr
devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr                      http://www.gunduz.org

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Fredrik Olsson
Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Fredrik Olsson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I guess I am not the only one moving from MS SQL Server, so is there
>> interest for others to use my work, as a contrib perhaps. And how
>> should I continue from here in that case?
>
> I'd start a new project at pgfoundry and then would begin talking
> about a contrib module.

Good idea. I have registered mssqlsupport as project name there, and
will add all there is as soon as/if the project gets accepted.

Regards

--
//Fredrik Olsson Treyst AB +46-19-362182 fredrik.olsson@treyst.se

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
I just started a MySQL compatibility functions project on pgfoundry.org.  I suggest starting an MSSQL one as well.  I'd
beinterested if you

could mail me your code for your functions so far because many of the
MySQL functions are copied from MSSQL...

Chris

Fredrik Olsson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In the course of porting a database from Microsoft SQL Server to
> PostgreSQL I have rewritten a few of the date and string functions in
> pl/pgSQL. Started with just datepart, datediff and soundex, but once
> started I continued and rewrote all date/time and string functions
> supported by MS SQL 2005. Leaving only compatibility with
> unicode-handling and binary objects (that MS SQL Server for some reason
> overloads string functions to work with).
>
> I guess I am not the only one moving from MS SQL Server, so is there
> interest for others to use my work, as a contrib perhaps. And how should
> I continue from here in that case?
>
> regards

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
"Pavel Stehule"
Дата:
Hello

DB2, MySQL and MsSQL has shared group of function (date, time, strings). You
can do it a bit complex -  use variable which direct behavior, but there
isn't bigger differences, I hope. Please (for start), use mycode, orafunc
from pgfoundry.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Chcete sdilet sve obrazky a hudbu s prateli? http://messenger.msn.cz/

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Fredrik Olsson
Дата:
Fredrik Olsson wrote:
> Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Fredrik Olsson wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> I guess I am not the only one moving from MS SQL Server, so is there
>>> interest for others to use my work, as a contrib perhaps. And how
>>> should I continue from here in that case?
>>
>> I'd start a new project at pgfoundry and then would begin talking
>> about a contrib module.
>>
> Good idea. I have registered mssqlsupport as project name there, and
> will add all there is as soon as/if the project gets accepted.

Said and done, project is up at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/mssqlsupport/

regards

--
//Fredrik Olsson Treyst AB +46-19-362182 fredrik.olsson@treyst.se

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Mario Weilguni
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2005 16:32 schrieb Pollard, Mike:
> If this gets added as a contrib, here's a version of uniqueidentifier
> and newid() I wrote that maintains the same format as the SQL Server
> version:
>
> CREATE SCHEMA sqlserver
>   AUTHORIZATION postgres;
> GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA sqlserver TO public;
>
> CREATE SEQUENCE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier0
>   INCREMENT 1
>   MINVALUE 0
>   MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
>   START 0
>   CACHE 1;
> GRANT ALL ON TABLE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier0 TO public;
>
> CREATE SEQUENCE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1
>   INCREMENT 1
>   MINVALUE 0
>   MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
>   START 0
>   CACHE 1;
> GRANT ALL ON TABLE sqlserver.uniqueidentifier1 TO public;

Why do you use "GRANT ALL" and not "GRANT SELECT, UPDATE"? All means everybody
can do bad things with those sequences.

Regards,Mario Weilguni

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> Why do you use "GRANT ALL" and not "GRANT SELECT, UPDATE"? All means everybody
> can do bad things with those sequences.

GRANT ALL on a sequence IS GRANT SELECT & UPDATE.

Chris

Re: MS SQL Server compatibility functions

От
"Pollard, Mike"
Дата:
If you're referring to my procedure for newid(), then it was just
because of pure laziness; it was an internal proof of concept project,
and I was still concentrating on getting it working.