Обсуждение: Heading to final release

Heading to final release

Дата:
We only have a few open items left.  Let's make final decisions on these
and schedule RC1.

                              P O S T G R E S Q L
                         7 . 4  O P E N    I T E M S

Current at ftp://momjian.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/open_items.

Changes
-------
Allow superuser (dba?) the ability to turn off foreign key checks/all constraints/triggers, not settable from
postgresql.conf?
Move ANALYZE before foreign key creation?
Rename dump GUC variable to be more generic
What to do about exposing the list of possible SQLSTATE error codes

Documentation Changes
---------------------
Move release notes to SGML
Freeze message strings

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Heading to final release

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> Changes
> -------
> Allow superuser (dba?) the ability to turn off foreign key checks/all
>   constraints/triggers, not settable from postgresql.conf?

Is that one really necessary for 7.4 now that adding foreign keys is
apparently much faster?

Chris

Re: Heading to final release

Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Changes
> > -------
> > Allow superuser (dba?) the ability to turn off foreign key checks/all
> >   constraints/triggers, not settable from postgresql.conf?
>
> Is that one really necessary for 7.4 now that adding foreign keys is
> apparently much faster?

That's why it has a question mark --- we have to decide.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Heading to final release

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>
>> > Changes
>> > -------
>> > Allow superuser (dba?) the ability to turn off foreign key checks/all
>> >   constraints/triggers, not settable from postgresql.conf?
>>
>> Is that one really necessary for 7.4 now that adding foreign keys is
>> apparently much faster?
>
> That's why it has a question mark --- we have to decide.

I am still for it.

If you reconfigure your systems to force fsck on every boot, cleanly
unmounted or not, you can vote against. Otherwise you are basically for
this option.

Jan

Re: Heading to final release

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:

> >> Is that one really necessary for 7.4 now that adding foreign keys is
> >> apparently much faster?

> If you reconfigure your systems to force fsck on every boot, cleanly
> unmounted or not, you can vote against. Otherwise you are basically for
> this option.

I vote to disable the checks for pg_restore if the dumpfile has a check
added to ensure it's the same file that was dumped (an MD5 in the
header) and it is a full database restore.

Individual table restores should require the check.

Re: Heading to final release

Дата:
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> I vote to disable the checks for pg_restore if the dumpfile has a check
> added to ensure it's the same file that was dumped (an MD5 in the
> header) and it is a full database restore.
> Individual table restores should require the check.

It is not our business to be making such decisions for the DBA.  If
we're going to provide this at all, it should be in the form of a knob
the DBA can tweak if *he* thinks it's safe to omit the check.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Heading to final release

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> > I vote to disable the checks for pg_restore if the dumpfile has a check
> > added to ensure it's the same file that was dumped (an MD5 in the
> > header) and it is a full database restore.
> > Individual table restores should require the check.
>
> It is not our business to be making such decisions for the DBA.  If
> we're going to provide this at all, it should be in the form of a knob
> the DBA can tweak if *he* thinks it's safe to omit the check.

We could allow the dba to _enable_ the check if they want it, of course.
Basically, default it to checks off rather than on.  However, there is
no logic that could distinguish a hand-created dump from one we dumped.
This is another area where a guc variable identifing a dump would help.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Heading to final release

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Rod Taylor wrote:

>> If you reconfigure your systems to force fsck on every boot, cleanly
>> unmounted or not, you can vote against. Otherwise you are basically for
>> this option.
>
> I vote to disable the checks for pg_restore if the dumpfile has a check
> added to ensure it's the same file that was dumped (an MD5 in the
> header) and it is a full database restore.
>
> Individual table restores should require the check.

I don't like it.

Rod, this is not meant personal, more some sort of general sigh:

Why do people wait until the EMT cannot give the life-saving infusion
any more before they realize that "invincible" isn't that great at all?

Some dumb-user/fat-finger/ooops protection is surely welcome, but there
is a limit. A system console has to be behind a locked door instead of
the single-user boot being root-password protected. As soon as people
succeed in "chmod 0000 /" and it honor's that for root even if the disk
is mounted on a different system, they will see that there is something
missing - ooops, too late?

I am talking about some special super-user flag. Something that is
available for the user who has usecatupd anyway and because of that he
can do a
    DELETE FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'pg_class';

What good is it to deny "that" user to import any dump without foreign
key check? Any attempt to do so only makes it "more inconvenient". But
you surely don't prevent anything by doing so.

Jan

Re: Heading to final release

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 21:26, Jan Wieck wrote:

> >> If you reconfigure your systems to force fsck on every boot, cleanly
> >> unmounted or not, you can vote against. Otherwise you are basically for
> >> this option.
> >
> > I vote to disable the checks for pg_restore if the dumpfile has a check
> > added to ensure it's the same file that was dumped (an MD5 in the
> > header) and it is a full database restore.
> >
> > Individual table restores should require the check.
>
> I don't like it.
>
> Rod, this is not meant personal, more some sort of general sigh:
>
> Why do people wait until the EMT cannot give the life-saving infusion
> any more before they realize that "invincible" isn't that great at all?
>
> Some dumb-user/fat-finger/ooops protection is surely welcome, but there
> is a limit. A system console has to be behind a locked door instead of
> the single-user boot being root-password protected. As soon as people

Unfortunately, as more and more companies start to outsource their
server administration these are the people who will be interacting with
the database more in this role -- in fact, for most it is the only time
they'll ever be on the database box.

What I would like to see is to make these items permission based.  For
example, a permission that allows creation a new database and ownership
changes (away from self) but nothing else. This would be adequate for
'safe-only' restores.

Re: Heading to final release

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 21:26, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> Why do people wait until the EMT cannot give the life-saving infusion
>> any more before they realize that "invincible" isn't that great at all?
>>
>> Some dumb-user/fat-finger/ooops protection is surely welcome, but there
>> is a limit. A system console has to be behind a locked door instead of
>> the single-user boot being root-password protected. As soon as people
>
> Unfortunately, as more and more companies start to outsource their
> server administration these are the people who will be interacting with
> the database more in this role -- in fact, for most it is the only time
> they'll ever be on the database box.

Sure. But did adding gazillions of "Are you sure?" buttons help the
slightest little bit in preventing idiots from voluntarily installing
Viruses, worms, spam-gateways and other shit on their computers? I
*love* these safety mechanisms ... they are totally annoying for anyone
who knows what he's doing, and the dumbasses they intend to protect
click blindly around without reading the messages just to get rid of the
unexpected popup.

You can build more secure systems as long as you want, evolution will
develop the better idiot. As long as you create safer cars with more
airbags, people will drive faster and more risky. When you start to
replace all these stupid airbags with foot-long daggers that pop out of
the steeringwheel on impact and instantly "kill" the driver, natural
selection will kick in, increase traffic safety and lower the number of
deaths in car accidents. You might notice a little peak in the
statistics, or you might be part of the peak ... it's your choice.

Jan

Re: Heading to final release

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> >> Some dumb-user/fat-finger/ooops protection is surely welcome, but there
> >> is a limit. A system console has to be behind a locked door instead of
> >> the single-user boot being root-password protected. As soon as people
> >
> > Unfortunately, as more and more companies start to outsource their
> > server administration these are the people who will be interacting with
> > the database more in this role -- in fact, for most it is the only time
> > they'll ever be on the database box.

> You can build more secure systems as long as you want, evolution will
> develop the better idiot. As long as you create safer cars with more

Consider it like shipping. You can assume that UPS, FedEx or whomever
will be nice and gentle to the package marked 'Fragile' and has a 'This
Side Up' sticker OR you can double box it and use plenty of tightly
packed peanuts.

One of those 2 options is bound to have busted up contents by the time
it reaches the other side nearly every time -- but they could still run
a fork lift through the thing.

Yes, if you're going to drive the package to the destination yourself,
then all of the extra packaging would just get in the way -- but
shipping has been outsourced by your company to save funds. If the
product breaks when it gets to the client, it isn't going to be the
shipping companies fault.

It's the same reason PostgreSQL will not load when the blocksize has
changed and why RESTRICT / CASCADE options exist for inter-object
enforcement.

Anyway, add the option if you like BUT can we start protecting these
things with something more than superuser access? You require superuser
to do daily maintenance tasks with PostgreSQL but for the most part
these are exactly the wrong people to be making decisions about whether
it is safe to do action X or Y at the time.

Anyway, one of the local Nuclear power plants has safety courses. At the
safest plant in Canada the operators have an accuracy rate of close to
99.9%. That is, they make the correct choice or complete the correct
action for 99.9% of the choices in their day. This means at that plant
there are 50 potentially fatal decision made every month.

I simply want to remove the junior electricians ability to pick the
wrong panel at the datacentre by ensuring someone else has given them
the key.

I want to remove my 'super users' ability to make a bad decision (even
though they're 99.9% accurate in their decision making) by granting or
revoking their ability to do so.

Re: Heading to final release

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:51:52PM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> You can build more secure systems as long as you want, evolution will
> develop the better idiot. As long as you create safer cars with more

Sure, but I think all Rod is asking for is something like the ability
to add the -w switch to perl in order to see things that he might
have overlooked.  I can't see any principled objection to that,
especially if, as Bruce suggested, it defaults to off.  (Of course,
if the switch isn't ready, I dunno whether it's worth waiting for.
Sounds like a feature to me.)

----
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110

Re: Heading to final release

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> What to do about exposing the list of possible SQLSTATE error codes

I say we put the list in the documentatio and that's it.  Exposing the
list in C header files wouldn't really be an ultimate solution, because
not everyone uses C.

> Freeze message strings

That is old news.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

feature request

От
Michael Brusser
Дата:
I wonder if this is feasible to enhance create trigger
so I could say 'create or replace'

Thanks,
Mike.