Обсуждение: \d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?

\d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?

От
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Дата:
Hi!

I just came across a posting in this list, and a question arose from that
which I'm carrying for some time. PG has *some* views in the system catalog,
which make life easier, but some essential(?) things like 'list all tables in
DB' has to be done in a multi-table join with special attributes. What is the
rationale of that? Wouldn't it be easier (and more portable, see 7.3/7.2
system catalogs vs. psql) to have views for that? Do I miss a point here?

I'd be even willing to do some work here, if considered worthwhile...

Greetings,Joerg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com

Re: \d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?

Дата:
Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg.Hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com> writes:
> PG has *some* views in the system catalog, which make life easier, but
> some essential(?) things like 'list all tables in DB' has to be done
> in a multi-table join with special attributes. What is the rationale
> of that? Wouldn't it be easier (and more portable, see 7.3/7.2 system
> catalogs vs. psql) to have views for that?

Only to the extent that the views match what a particular front-end
actually wants to see.

Peter Eisentraut is currently working on adding the SQL-spec-mandated
"INFORMATION_SCHEMA" views; so as long as all you want to know is what's
in the spec, those should be your answer.  But I do not foresee psql or
pg_dump ever switching over to INFORMATION_SCHEMA, because they want to
know about some things that are Postgres-specific.
        regards, tom lane

greg@turnstep.com