Обсуждение: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Palle Girgensohn
Дата:
Hi!

subject says it all, I guess. There is hardly no difference between 7.3
libpq and 7.3.1 libpq. Why the version shift? Isn't the only thing
rectifying a version shift that there is a change in the API. Maybe there
is a change, but I cannot find it.

One of the reasons I ask is, if it is a good reason, like say "security",
maybe I can persuade the FreeBSD port responsible guys to bring the port
into the upcoming FreeBSD 5.0 release. The port freeze was introduced just
before pg-7.3 was released, so nothing new will be admitted unless it is a
security fix, more or less, which means FreeBSD 5.0 will probably ship with
7.2.3, which would be a disappointment...

Cheers,
Palle

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Hi Palle,

Between 7.2 and 7.3 there was an API change to the pgnotify(?) struct or
something.  When 7.3 was released, we forgot to bump the version number, so
we're doing it now.  It was something of an oversight, but it really needed
to be done.

There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.  Depending on
your definition of security.  eg. Going 'select cash_out(2);' on any 7.2
server and below will crash the backend.  It will not do that in 7.3.  Most
of the buffer problems were fixed in 7.2.3.

Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD guys would
probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...  Still, it's a pity
though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works fine on FreeBSD 5.

Cheers,

Chris

ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
Actually, maybe it was a good thing since if 7.3.1 becomes the new standard
port people won't be bitten so much by the library version bump.

Dan Langille
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> One of the reasons I ask is, if it is a good reason, like say "security",
> maybe I can persuade the FreeBSD port responsible guys to bring the port
> into the upcoming FreeBSD 5.0 release. The port freeze was introduced just
> before pg-7.3 was released, so nothing new will be admitted unless it is a
> security fix, more or less, which means FreeBSD 5.0 will probably ship with
> 7.2.3, which would be a disappointment...

If anything, the ports tree on the CD will contain a reference to 7.2.3.
PostgreSQL itself is not shipped.  The ports tree can be cvsup'd to the
latest, when the cvs repository is updated.  At present there is a ports
freeze.  This is the normal situation just prior to a major release.

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Dan Langille
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD guys would
> probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...  Still, it's a pity
> though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works fine on FreeBSD 5.

FreeBSD uses something called a ports tree.  This is quite separate from
the source tree, which is used to create FreeBSD 5.  The issue is not
whether or not 7.3 has been tested and works.  When you have nearly
8000 ports, it makes sense to freeze them just prior to a release.  Code
freezes are standard practice.  I which more projects used them.

> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
> Actually, maybe it was a good thing since if 7.3.1 becomes the new standard
> port people won't be bitten so much by the library version bump.

My guess: because of the port freeze now in effect.

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Dan Langille
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??

I forgot one other possible answer: perhaps the port maintainer is taking
a well deserved holiday?

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Palle Girgensohn
Дата:
--On måndag, december 30, 2002 06.35.22 -0500 Dan Langille
<dan@langille.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
>> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
>
> I forgot one other possible answer: perhaps the port maintainer is taking
> a well deserved holiday?

:)  Well, not really, it is because of the port freeze. I don't maintain
the -devel port, Sean Chittenden does. It seems logical that he maintains
it, since he has commit rights to the ports tree. It was used during
postgresql's beta phase, and it will be removed after the port freeze, only
to resurrect at the next beta phase. This is the plan, anyway. :)

I now know the reason for bumping the so version number. Thanks!

> Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD guys
> would probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...  Still,
> it's a pity though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works fine on
> FreeBSD 5.

True, perhaps, but if the old version has security flaws... Also, since 5.0
is a new major version for FreeBSD, most binaries need relinking to fully
utilize the new system - wouldn't it be clever to have the new postgres
libpq relinked at the same time as well...?

--On måndag, december 30, 2002 06.24.38 -0500 Dan Langille
<dan@langille.org> wrote:

> If anything, the ports tree on the CD will contain a reference to 7.2.3.
> PostgreSQL itself is not shipped.  The ports tree can be cvsup'd to the
> latest, when the cvs repository is updated.  At present there is a ports
> freeze.  This is the normal situation just prior to a major release.

Well, on the DVD or four-disk-set, there will be a package of 7.2.3, so in
a way, postgreSQL is actually shipped...

Well, we'll see. 7.3 has been in gnats for some time now. I'll send in the
new 7.3.1 and send a few emails lobbying for it, and let the guys
responsible decide if it a pre- or post-5.0 port...

Cheers,
Palle

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Dan Langille
Дата:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> --On måndag, december 30, 2002 06.35.22 -0500 Dan Langille
> <dan@langille.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >
> >> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
> >
> > I forgot one other possible answer: perhaps the port maintainer is taking
> > a well deserved holiday?
>
> :)  Well, not really, it is because of the port freeze. I don't maintain
> the -devel port, Sean Chittenden does. It seems logical that he maintains
> it, since he has commit rights to the ports tree. It was used during
> postgresql's beta phase, and it will be removed after the port freeze, only
> to resurrect at the next beta phase. This is the plan, anyway. :)

I liked and used the -devel port.  I think the concept should be retained.

> > Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD guys
> > would probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...  Still,
> > it's a pity though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works fine on
> > FreeBSD 5.
>
> True, perhaps, but if the old version has security flaws... Also, since 5.0
> is a new major version for FreeBSD, most binaries need relinking to fully
> utilize the new system - wouldn't it be clever to have the new postgres
> libpq relinked at the same time as well...?

What about the other 8000 or so ports?  Should we halt FreeBSD development
so they all have the latest version as well?  I think not. At some point,
a line must be drawn.

> --On måndag, december 30, 2002 06.24.38 -0500 Dan Langille
> <dan@langille.org> wrote:
> >
> > If anything, the ports tree on the CD will contain a reference to 7.2.3.
> > PostgreSQL itself is not shipped.  The ports tree can be cvsup'd to the
> > latest, when the cvs repository is updated.  At present there is a ports
> > freeze.  This is the normal situation just prior to a major release.
>
> Well, on the DVD or four-disk-set, there will be a package of 7.2.3, so in
> a way, postgreSQL is actually shipped...

Given that there are almost 8000 ports, it is simply not practical to hold
everything up while we get the latest of everything.  Exceptions are
allowed, but again, I don't have a problem with it.

> Well, we'll see. 7.3 has been in gnats for some time now. I'll send in the
> new 7.3.1 and send a few emails lobbying for it, and let the guys
> responsible decide if it a pre- or post-5.0 port...

I don't see it as a big deal.  It's just a ports tree entry going out with
5.  That entry can be cvsup'd and updated to the latest and greatest.

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
"Neil Conway"
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne said:
> There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.

That's only the case if your definition of a "security fix" is pretty fast
and loose -- as yours seems to be.

> Depending
> on your definition of security.  eg. Going 'select cash_out(2);' on any
> 7.2 server and below will crash the backend.

If you consider that a security flaw, there are still innumerable problems
of a very similar nature in 7.3 or 7.4-devel (*any* situation in which an
untrusted client can execute arbitrary SQL will allow for resource
exhaustion, at the very least).

By a more reasonable definition of "security flaw", I'm not aware of any
significant outstanding problems in 7.2.3 -- there are a bunch of buffer
handling fixes in 7.3, but they were made for the sake of correctness
(a.k.a. paranoia), not necessarily to fix an actual vulnerability.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
>
> I forgot one other possible answer: perhaps the port maintainer is taking
> a well deserved holiday?

Last time I checked, Palle _was_ the port maintainer :)

Chris

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Palle Girgensohn
Дата:
Still am. ;-)

--On tisdag, december 31, 2002 10.01.34 +0800 Christopher Kings-Lynne
<chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> wrote:

>> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>
>> > ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
>>
>> I forgot one other possible answer: perhaps the port maintainer is taking
>> a well deserved holiday?
>
> Last time I checked, Palle _was_ the port maintainer :)
>
> Chris

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:
"Neil Conway" <neilc@samurai.com> writes:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne said:
>> There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.
>
> That's only the case if your definition of a "security fix" is pretty fast
> and loose -- as yours seems to be.

Hmm?  On 7.2, an unpriviliged database user can read the more or less
the whole memory image of the server process.  On 7.3, this has been
fixed.

--
Florian Weimer                       Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:
Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:

> One of the reasons I ask is, if it is a good reason, like say
> "security", maybe I can persuade the FreeBSD port responsible guys to
> bring the port into the upcoming FreeBSD 5.0 release.

7.3 is not completely compatible with 7.2 at the SQL level, and quite
a few things break.  I wouldn't force users to switch right now.

--
Florian Weimer                       Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/
RUS-CERT                          fax +49-711-685-5898

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

Дата:
Florian Weimer wrote:
> "Neil Conway" <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>
> > Christopher Kings-Lynne said:
> >> There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.
> >
> > That's only the case if your definition of a "security fix" is pretty fast
> > and loose -- as yours seems to be.
>
> Hmm?  On 7.2, an unpriviliged database user can read the more or less
> the whole memory image of the server process.  On 7.3, this has been
> fixed.

Huh.  Never heard that before.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:

>> Hmm?  On 7.2, an unpriviliged database user can read the more or less
>> the whole memory image of the server process.  On 7.3, this has been
>> fixed.
>
> Huh.  Never heard that before.

It's the cash_out(2) crash, but with some other conversion function:

rusfw=> SELECT byteain(134512640);      byteain
---------------------\177ELF\001\001\001
(1 row)

rusfw=>

(Of course, the address varies from machine to machine.)

--
Florian Weimer                       Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/
RUS-CERT                          fax +49-711-685-5898

Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> Between 7.2 and 7.3 there was an API change to the pgnotify(?)
> struct or something.  When 7.3 was released, we forgot to bump the
> version number, so we're doing it now.  It was something of an
> oversight, but it really needed to be done.
>
> There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.
> Depending on your definition of security.  eg. Going 'select
> cash_out(2);' on any 7.2 server and below will crash the backend.
> It will not do that in 7.3.  Most of the buffer problems were fixed
> in 7.2.3.
>
> Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD
> guys would probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...
> Still, it's a pity though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works
> fine on FreeBSD 5.

The databases/postgresql7 port has been updated and 7.3.1 should
appear in the 5.0 release.  ;) Not all postgresql ports have been
updated though since some of the PRs are assigned to another
committer.  :-/ Let me know if there are any requests from BSD DBAs
that'd like to see a port that they highly depend on updated.

> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
> Actually, maybe it was a good thing since if 7.3.1 becomes the new standard
> port people won't be bitten so much by the library version bump.

The -devel port has been out for a few months, those that are serious
DBAs likely have a staging/test environment to work with.  If anyone
runs across any serious problems on FreeBSD, let me know ASAP.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden