Обсуждение: question

question

От
"Cameron Laird"
Дата:
I am a Comp. Sci. student at Ryerson Polytechnic University in toronto.  I am in the midst of a software engineering project that involves the development of a (possibly) relational database on a RedHat 6.2 development environment, we are coding in C.  now my question is, how closely related are Postgre and MySQL, and are the necessary PostgreSQL libraries included in RedHat 6.2?

thanks,

Cameron Laird

Re: question

От
"Robert B. Easter"
Дата:
On Friday 19 January 2001 20:28, Cameron Laird wrote:

> > I am a Comp. Sci. student at Ryerson Polytechnic University in toronto.  I
> am in the midst of a software engineering project that involves the
> development of a (possibly) relational database on a RedHat 6.2 development
> environment, we are coding in C.  now my question is, how closely related
> are Postgre and MySQL, and are the necessary PostgreSQL libraries included
> in RedHat 6.2?

AFAIK, PostgreSQL and MySQL are from totally different codebases (never
shared any code).  PostgreSQL is BSD license and MySQL is now GNU GPL. They
both implement SQL to varying levels of conformance. PostgreSQL has some
object-oriented features, like table inheritance.  Try them both and see what
you like, but I think you'll find PostgreSQL more interesting.  For instance,
Postgres can load C functions from shared objects and use them as functions
in SQL, user defined aggregates, procedural language call handlers, and to
create user defined data types (and possibly other things). The 7.1 beta has
implemented some great new features, like write-ahead logging (WAL) and
complete support for SQL table joins, among other things.  A C project can do
a lot with Postgres.

RPM packages of PostgreSQL are available at:
http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html

You'll have to check redhat.com or do an rpm query to see if it should be or
is installed on RedHat 6.2.

> thanks,
>
> Cameron Laird

-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
-- CompTechNews Message Board http://www.comptechnews.com/ --
-- CompTechServ Tech Services http://www.comptechserv.com/ --
---------- http://www.comptechnews.com/~reaster/ ------------

Re: question

Дата:
"Robert B. Easter" <reaster@comptechnews.com> writes:
> You'll have to check redhat.com or do an rpm query to see if it should be or
> is installed on RedHat 6.2.

I believe redhat does ship Postgres RPMs, but they're PG version
6.5.something, which is pretty old --- ie, fewer features and more bugs
than later versions.  You really ought to install PG 7.0.3 (use RPMs
from www.postgresql.org) or if you're feeling bleeding edge, try out the
7.1 beta distribution.
        regards, tom lane

Re: question

От
Ned Lilly
Дата:
Great Bridge makes PostgreSQL 7.0.3 RPMs for 8 different Linux distros
at http://www.greatbridge.com/download ...

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Robert B. Easter" <reaster@comptechnews.com> writes:
>
>> You'll have to check redhat.com or do an rpm query to see if it should be or
>> is installed on RedHat 6.2.
>

> I believe redhat does ship Postgres RPMs, but they're PG version
> 6.5.something, which is pretty old --- ie, fewer features and more bugs
> than later versions.  You really ought to install PG 7.0.3 (use RPMs
> from www.postgresql.org) or if you're feeling bleeding edge, try out the
> 7.1 beta distribution.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Ned Lilly                     e: ned@greatbridge.com
Vice President                w: www.greatbridge.com
Evangelism / Hacker Relations        v: 757.233.5523
Great Bridge, LLC                    f: 757.233.5555

Re: question

От
Lamar Owen
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Robert B. Easter" <reaster@comptechnews.com> writes:
> > You'll have to check redhat.com or do an rpm query to see if it should be or
> > is installed on RedHat 6.2.

> I believe redhat does ship Postgres RPMs, but they're PG version
> 6.5.something, which is pretty old --- ie, fewer features and more bugs
> than later versions.  You really ought to install PG 7.0.3 (use RPMs
> from www.postgresql.org) or if you're feeling bleeding edge, try out the
> 7.1 beta distribution.

RH 6.2 shipped with PostgreSQL 6.5.3, RPM release 6.  PostgreSQL 7.0 was
in beta at the time.

PostgreSQL 7.0 was first shipped as 7.0.2, release 17, in RedHat 7.0.

RPMS for PostgreSQL 7.0.3 for RedHat 6.2 are available on
ftp.postgresql.org, as Tom mentioned, in
/pub/binary/v7.0.3/RPMS/RedHat-6.2

The upgrade from 6.5.3 RPM to 7.0.3 RPM is not the easiest in the world
-- please be sure to read the README.rpm-dist file in the main
postgresql RPM.

Also, you will need to read this file to see which packages you want --
for a full client-server install, install postgresql and
postgresql-server.  Pick and choose the other clients and development
RPM's you need from there.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Lamar Owen
Ned Lilly wrote:

> Great Bridge makes PostgreSQL 7.0.3 RPMs for 8 different Linux distros
> at http://www.greatbridge.com/download ...

For the record (with permission of Great Bridge a few months back), I
want to thank Great Bridge for helping with the development of the
current Official RPMs, including financial assistance (:-)), servers
running the distributions in question for building/testing, and top-tier
professional feedback (when they say this release has been
professionally QA tested, they _mean_ it!) on my little project.

Kudos to GreatBridge!
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Poul Laust Christiansen
Дата:
I've just moved from Redhat to Mandrake.

But do I have to use the Mandrake RPM? Doesn't the standard RPM work on
mandrake?

What is the difference between these two RPM's?

I'd hate to wait for the Mandrake specific RPM for every release.

Poul L. Christiansen

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Ned Lilly wrote:
> >
> > Great Bridge makes PostgreSQL 7.0.3 RPMs for 8 different Linux distros
> > at http://www.greatbridge.com/download ...
>
> For the record (with permission of Great Bridge a few months back), I
> want to thank Great Bridge for helping with the development of the
> current Official RPMs, including financial assistance (:-)), servers
> running the distributions in question for building/testing, and top-tier
> professional feedback (when they say this release has been
> professionally QA tested, they _mean_ it!) on my little project.
>
> Kudos to GreatBridge!
> --
> Lamar Owen
> WGCR Internet Radio
> 1 Peter 4:11

Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I'd hate to wait for the Mandrake specific RPM for every release.

I've been building the Mandrake RPMs, and there is currently a small
problem in the build which I haven't had time to pursue (yet). The
Mandrake distro should be available on the postgresql.org ftp site very
soon after release.
                - Thomas

Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Poul Laust Christiansen writes:

> I've just moved from Redhat to Mandrake.
>
> But do I have to use the Mandrake RPM? Doesn't the standard RPM work on
> mandrake?

In general, RPMs only work on systems that are the same as the one they
were built on, for various degrees of "same".  If you're not picking up
the RPMs from your distributor or you're sure that the builder used the
same version as you have, it's always prudent to rebuild from the source
RPM.  That should work, unless the package spec makes some unportable
assumptions, such as different file system layouts.  But that is often
only an annoyance, not a real problem.

Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Дата:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> In general, RPMs only work on systems that are the same as the one they
> were built on, for various degrees of "same".  If you're not picking up
> the RPMs from your distributor or you're sure that the builder used the
> same version as you have, it's always prudent to rebuild from the source
> RPM.  That should work, unless the package spec makes some unportable
> assumptions, such as different file system layouts.  But that is often
> only an annoyance, not a real problem.

While trying to get the FrontPage Extensions installed on a RedHat/Apache
system I ran into to different version numbering systems between RedHat
and Mandrake.  Major pain.  One called for perl 5.6.0-xxx and the other
perl 5.60-xxx.  After several hours of screwing around with it I took a
break.  Fortunately before I spent any more time on it the client I was
going to do it for decided to not run them with Apache.

I'm glad to see GreatBridge will be providing RPM's for many
distributions.  Though I do tend to re-compile from source I've found that
those mdk's don't work too good with RHL.

Rod
--

Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
"Roderick A. Anderson" wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > RPM.  That should work, unless the package spec makes some unportable
> > assumptions, such as different file system layouts.  But that is often
> > only an annoyance, not a real problem.

> I'm glad to see GreatBridge will be providing RPM's for many
> distributions.  Though I do tend to re-compile from source I've found that
> those mdk's don't work too good with RHL.

And I _love_ to get feedback about the nonportable things I do in the
spec files (right, Peter ? :-)).

I am trying (and Great Bridge helped) to get a fully
distribution-independent source RPM working.  I am closer than I was --
the same spec file now works on RedHat, Mandrake, Turbo, and (to a
lesser extent) Caldera, and soon will work seamlessly on SuSE. It may
very well work on others.  The hooks are there now for SuSE -- just some
fill-in work left to be done.

Portability is hard.  C programmers have known this for some time -- but
the RPM specfile doesn't really lend itself to vast portability.
Although, I am learning some real tricks that really help.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11

Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Travis Bauer
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart (lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu) wrote:

> > I'd hate to wait for the Mandrake specific RPM for every release.
>
> I've been building the Mandrake RPMs, and there is currently a small
> problem in the build which I haven't had time to pursue (yet). The
> Mandrake distro should be available on the postgresql.org ftp site very
> soon after release.
>
>                  - Thomas

I use Mandrake 7.2 and since we are talking about mandrake RPMS . . .
The psql application that shipped with 7.2 was not compiled with ncurses
support, so the up-arrow key did not work.  Could this be changed
with the next release?  I recompiled postgres to upgrade to 7.0.3
(and compile perl support) and when I manually compiled it, the
up arrow worked in psql.
Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer

Re: Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

От
Samy Elashmawy
Дата:
Ypu can always use the source to build and install it instead of the RPM.