Обсуждение: AW: Big 7.1 open items

AW: Big 7.1 open items

От
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Дата:
> It's just not possible to do
> multiple file renames atomically.

This is not necessary, since *_<OID> is unique regardless of relname prefix.

Andreas

Re: AW: Big 7.1 open items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 10:04 AM 6/15/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>> In reality, very few people are going to be interested in restoring
>> a table in a way that breaks referential integrity and other
>> normal assumptions about what exists in the database.
>
>This is not true. In my DBA history it would have saved me manweeks
>of work if an easy and efficient restore of one single table from backup
>would have been available in Informix and Oracle.
>We allways had to restore most of the whole system to another machine only
>to get back at some table info that would then be manually re-added
>to the production system.

I'm missing something, I guess.  You would do a createdb, do a filesystem
copy of pg_log and one file into it, and then read data from the tablewithout having to restore the other tables in the
database?

I'm just curious - when was the last time you restored a Postgres
database in this piecemeal manner, and how often do you do it?

Re: AW: Big 7.1 open items

От
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Don Baccus wrote:
> At 10:04 AM 6/15/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:
> >
> >This is not true. In my DBA history it would have saved me manweeks
> >of work if an easy and efficient restore of one single table from backup
> >would have been available in Informix and Oracle.
> >We allways had to restore most of the whole system to another machine only
> >to get back at some table info that would then be manually re-added
> >to the production system.
>
> I'm missing something, I guess.  You would do a createdb, do a filesystem
> copy of pg_log and one file into it, and then read data from the table
>  without having to restore the other tables in the database?
>
> I'm just curious - when was the last time you restored a Postgres
> database in this piecemeal manner, and how often do you do it?
   More  curios  to  me is that people seem to use physical file   based backup at all. Do they shutdown the
postmaster during   backup  or  do  they  live with the fact that maybe not every   backup is a vital one?

Jan

Re: AW: Big 7.1 open items

Дата:
> > I'm just curious - when was the last time you restored a Postgres
> > database in this piecemeal manner, and how often do you do it?
>
>     More  curios  to  me is that people seem to use physical file
>     based backup at all. Do they shutdown the  postmaster  during
>     backup  or  do  they  live with the fact that maybe not every
>     backup is a vital one?

I sure hope they shut down the postmaster, or know that nothing is
happening during the backup.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: AW: Big 7.1 open items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I'm just curious - when was the last time you restored a Postgres
> > > database in this piecemeal manner, and how often do you do it?
> >
> >     More  curios  to  me is that people seem to use physical file
> >     based backup at all. Do they shutdown the  postmaster  during
> >     backup  or  do  they  live with the fact that maybe not every
> >     backup is a vital one?
>
> I sure hope they shut down the postmaster, or know that nothing is
> happening during the backup.

I do a backup based on a pg_dump snapshot at the time of the backup