Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
Michael Robinson
Дата:
>Current FE/BE protocol seems pretty optimized to me, but you should know
>the best.  Seems like a waste to try and get it to match some standard,

Well, I suppose you could make the same argument about SQL-92 compliance.

Standards compliance is useful because it plugs you into the positive-
feedback cycle of product development.  Your product works with more
products, more people use your product, more products are developed which
work with your product, etc.
-Michael Robinson

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> >Current FE/BE protocol seems pretty optimized to me, but you should know
> >the best.  Seems like a waste to try and get it to match some standard,
>
> Well, I suppose you could make the same argument about SQL-92 compliance.
>
> Standards compliance is useful because it plugs you into the positive-
> feedback cycle of product development.  Your product works with more
> products, more people use your product, more products are developed which
> work with your product, etc.

Not really the same.  There are end-user visible changes, and
developer-visible changes.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > >Current FE/BE protocol seems pretty optimized to me, but you should know
> > >the best.  Seems like a waste to try and get it to match some standard,
> >
> > Well, I suppose you could make the same argument about SQL-92 compliance.
> >
> > Standards compliance is useful because it plugs you into the positive-
> > feedback cycle of product development.  Your product works with more
> > products, more people use your product, more products are developed which
> > work with your product, etc.
>
> Not really the same.  There are end-user visible changes, and
> developer-visible changes.
From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
trigger for 7.0...:)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

Дата:

> > > Well, I suppose you could make the same argument about SQL-92 compliance.
> > >
> > > Standards compliance is useful because it plugs you into the positive-
> > > feedback cycle of product development.  Your product works with more
> > > products, more people use your product, more products are developed which
> > > work with your product, etc.
> >
> > Not really the same.  There are end-user visible changes, and
> > developer-visible changes.
>
>     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> trigger for 7.0...:)

Yep.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

Дата:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> trigger for 7.0...:)

Yeah, I was going to say the same.  If we really take this idea to heart
it would be a *big* change in the way the system is perceived and used,
even though old apps should continue to work fine.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

Дата:
> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> >     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> > trigger for 7.0...:)
>
> Yeah, I was going to say the same.  If we really take this idea to heart
> it would be a *big* change in the way the system is perceived and used,
> even though old apps should continue to work fine.

Yes, I think you are correct.  Would be very interesting.  We even could
call it protcol X, and continue to use the original protocol too, if
there was some advantage to doing it that way.

Our code is clean and modular, so such a change is very possible.  It is
not like some function in the executor starts shooting data directly to
the client.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:24:50AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> trigger for 7.0...:)

Forgot that one: When do we want to finish 7.0?

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:24:50AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> trigger for 7.0...:)

Agreed. But then we have to/can start working towards it as soon as time
permits.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg
home: Th.-Heuss-Str. 61,  D-41812 Erkelenz, Michael.Meskes@usa.net
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire! Use Debian GNU/Linux!

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:24:50AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> > trigger for 7.0...:)
>
> Agreed. But then we have to/can start working towards it as soon as time
> permits.
as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing stop'ng ppl from working
on this now, if they want, and submitting patches that are wrapped in
#ifdef/#else/#endif code...
Would it be of value to those wishing to work on this to have a
list seperate from -hackers for this?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:24:50AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >     From how things sound, I think that implementing Corba will be the
> > trigger for 7.0...:)
>
> Forgot that one: When do we want to finish 7.0?
When Corba is ready? :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

RE: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
"Taral"
Дата:
>     Would it be of value to those wishing to work on this to have a
> list seperate from -hackers for this?

Yes! Then we can stop spamming you all with this stuff.

Taral

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

Дата:
> >     Would it be of value to those wishing to work on this to have a
> > list seperate from -hackers for this?
>
> Yes! Then we can stop spamming you all with this stuff.

Seems like the current 'interfaces' list would be a very good place.
Not used very much either, and seems logical.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > >     Would it be of value to those wishing to work on this to have a
> > > list seperate from -hackers for this?
> >
> > Yes! Then we can stop spamming you all with this stuff.
>
> Seems like the current 'interfaces' list would be a very good place.
> Not used very much either, and seems logical.
That works too...let's move it over tehre :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 09:59:23PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Forgot that one: When do we want to finish 7.0?
>
>     When Corba is ready? :)

Sounds good. :-)

Michael