Обсуждение: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
/postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.

[...]
When connecting to the database server, a client must specify in its
connection request the name of the database it wants to connect to. It
is not possible to access more than one database per connection.
However, an application is not restricted in the number of connections
it opens to the same or other databases. Databases are physically
separated and access control is managed at the connection level. If one
PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or users that should be
separate and for the most part unaware of each other, it is therefore
recommendable to put them into separate databases. If the projects or
users are interrelated and should be able to use each other's resources,
they should be put in the same database but possibly into separate
schemas. Schemas are a purely logical structure and who can access what
is managed by the privilege system. More information about managing
schemas is in Section 5.7.
[...]

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

Дата:
Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> writes:
> /postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
> In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.

Seems perfectly ok as-is to me ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> writes:
>> /postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
>> In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.
>
> Seems perfectly ok as-is to me ...

Sounds hideous to me. I ran it past one of our tech writers (Susan
Douglas), who rewrote the sentence as:

If a single PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or users
that should be separate (for the most part unaware of each other), we
recommend storing them in separate databases.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Dave Page's message of vie jul 29 10:13:50 -0400 2011:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> writes:
> >> /postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
> >> In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.
> >
> > Seems perfectly ok as-is to me ...
>
> Sounds hideous to me. I ran it past one of our tech writers (Susan
> Douglas), who rewrote the sentence as:
>
> If a single PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or users
> that should be separate (for the most part unaware of each other), we
> recommend storing them in separate databases.

Except that we don't use the first person in docs, do we?

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Dave Page's message of vie jul 29 10:13:50 -0400 2011:
>> >
>> > Seems perfectly ok as-is to me ...
>>
>> Sounds hideous to me. I ran it past one of our tech writers (Susan
>> Douglas), who rewrote the sentence as:
>>
>> If a single PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or users
>> that should be separate (for the most part unaware of each other), we
>> recommend storing them in separate databases.
>
> Except that we don't use the first person in docs, do we?

That's easily changed.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Except that we don't use the first person in docs, do we?

find doc/src/sgml -name '*.sgml' | xargs cat | egrep -ci '\bwe\b'
786

-Kevin

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> /postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
> In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.
>
> [...]
> Databases are physically separated and access
> control is managed at the connection level. If one PostgreSQL server
> instance is to house projects or users that should be separate and for the
> most part unaware of each other, it is therefore recommendable to put them
> into separate databases. If the projects or users are interrelated and
> should be able to use each other's resources, they should be put in the same
> database but possibly into separate schemas.
> [...]

maybe it's because i'm not a natural english speaker but this sounds
like we are recommended to put the users in another database. probably
it is refering to the user's resources... maybe we can make it more
explicit?

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Gavin Flower
> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>> /postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
>> In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.
>>
>> [...]
>> Databases are physically separated and access
>> control is managed at the connection level. If one PostgreSQL server
>> instance is to house projects or users that should be separate and for the
>> most part unaware of each other, it is therefore recommendable to put them
>> into separate databases. If the projects or users are interrelated and
>> should be able to use each other's resources, they should be put in the same
>> database but possibly into separate schemas.
>> [...]
>>

> maybe it's because i'm not a natural english speaker but this sounds
> like we are recommended to put the users in another database. probably
> it is refering to the user's resources... maybe we can make it more
> explicit?

The only thing that seems weird about it to me is that recommendable
is a word that is almost never used by native English speakers.  Or at
least not the native English speakers I know.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

Дата:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 01:59:43PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Gavin Flower
> > <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> >> /postgres-9.1/share/doc/html/manage-ag-overview.html
> >> In the folowing partagrasoh 'recommendable' should be 'recommended'.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >> Databases are physically separated and access
> >> control is managed at the connection level. If one PostgreSQL server
> >> instance is to house projects or users that should be separate and for the
> >> most part unaware of each other, it is therefore recommendable to put them
> >> into separate databases. If the projects or users are interrelated and
> >> should be able to use each other's resources, they should be put in the same
> >> database but possibly into separate schemas.
> >> [...]
> >>

> > maybe it's because i'm not a natural english speaker but this sounds
> > like we are recommended to put the users in another database. probably
> > it is refering to the user's resources... maybe we can make it more
> > explicit?
>
> The only thing that seems weird about it to me is that recommendable
> is a word that is almost never used by native English speakers.  Or at
> least not the native English speakers I know.

I did some research on this and this was the best description I could
find was:

    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=693689

    If you want to suggest others use it, it is recommended. If you want to
    suggest others tell their friends and aquaintances to use it, it would
    be recommendable.

I think all doc mentions of 'recommendable' should be changed to
'recommended'.

Re: postgres-9.1beta3 typo: recommendable --> recommended

Дата:
 On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:36:43PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 01:59:43PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > > maybe it's because i'm not a natural english speaker but this sounds
> > > like we are recommended to put the users in another database. probably
> > > it is refering to the user's resources... maybe we can make it more
> > > explicit?
> >
> > The only thing that seems weird about it to me is that recommendable
> > is a word that is almost never used by native English speakers.  Or at
> > least not the native English speakers I know.
>
> I did some research on this and this was the best description I could
> find was:
>
>     http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=693689
>
>     If you want to suggest others use it, it is recommended. If you want to
>     suggest others tell their friends and aquaintances to use it, it would
>     be recommendable.
>
> I think all doc mentions of 'recommendable' should be changed to
> 'recommended'.

Done with the attached patch, backpatched to 9.2.