Обсуждение: Contents page - usability suggestion

Contents page - usability suggestion

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
I do try and be good and look up manual references where I think they're
useful to people on the mailing lists, and one small thing makes this
harder than I think it needs to be.

If you go to the main contents page on any of the recent manuals
(.../index.html) and hit "End" to go to the bottom of the page you don't
  see the Index or Appendices, you get the bottom-half of "List of xxx".

Is it difficult to put these sections on separate pages?
Is it a bad idea?

I sympathise if people don't like tinkering with the doc generation
stuff - I remember trying to get some Jade setup working on RH8 and I
still wake up screaming...
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Contents page - usability suggestion

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Is it difficult to put these sections on separate pages?

Yes.

> Is it a bad idea?

No.

We could simply get rid of them (rather than trying to move them
somewhere else), which I would personally support.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Contents page - usability suggestion

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Richard Huxton wrote:
> I do try and be good and look up manual references where I think they're
> useful to people on the mailing lists, and one small thing makes this
> harder than I think it needs to be.

Not wanting to make a habit of replying to myself, but while I'm
throwing out ideas without researching them first...

If you moved "Internals" before "Reference" you'd have almost all the
reference/list-based stuff together at the very end.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Contents page - usability suggestion

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>
>>Is it difficult to put these sections on separate pages?
>
> Yes.

I feared as much.

>>Is it a bad idea?
>

> No.
>
> We could simply get rid of them (rather than trying to move them
> somewhere else), which I would personally support.

If that's the decision, I'd be happy to put in the effort to make sure
the index covers everything useful out of the various lists. I'd need to
know soon or in a couple of weeks though. Off on honeymoon next week and
my new wife is understanding, but not *that* understanding...

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd